Diecast Crazy Forums banner

Do You Think That JJ earned his 2007 Championship title ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He didn't earn it like they used to.

I'm sorry but any driver, even if I don't like them, has 30 top 10 finishes out of 36 races is more deserving of the championship then anybody that year. That is what used to earn a driver a championship, but not any more. Now it's just drive good enough to make the chase and then be the best for 10 races. I say go back to the way it was and if a driver runs off with the points lead, then so be it.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I agree Kelly, JJ Dominated the chase, but Gordon dominated the previous 26 weeks. I like the old way, where it took a complete season to win a title, didn't matter if it was by 2 or 400 points. fortunately, in my mind, Gordon got screwed out of #5, just don't like him. I respect him now for what he has accomplished, just don't care for him!!!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Under the system in place... Johnson sure as hell earned it. He performed best under the current format. He's the champ.

Go back a few years ago.. he's second best. This chase has cost Gordon two more championships. But if this is what NASCAR wants... whatever. Congrats to Johnson. He dominated in the final 10 races.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
They just had it on ESPN Nascar, JJ had a 5.0 finish during the entire season, JG had a 5.1 finish during the entire season. Hendrick has it all going for them, JJ deserved what he won!!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nascar.com has JJ Average finishing position as 10.8 for the season and Gordon's Average finshing position is 7.3 which should win you a Championship.

I know they were talking about average finishing positions for both of them during the Chase yesterday during the race, JJ's avg. for the chase was 4.7 and Gordon's was 5.2 or something close to that, but for the season Gordon's avg beat the hell out of JJ's.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
JJ did not really dominate the chase, he won 4 races, Gordon won two.
He started out with a 20 point lead, ended with a 77 point lead, so over ten races he gained 57 points more than Gordon. That is not even 1 position better per race, hardly dominating.

Those 4 wins in a row at the end just seems to make everyone forget the the first 5 races.

He certainly didn't dominate the entire year, Gordon would have beat him by over 350 points had they not reset the points with 10 to go. Gordon broke the modern era record for most top 10s in a year. This whole season came down to one 4 race hot streak at just the perfect time.

It is what it is, but dominating is not exactly the word I would use to describe JJ's year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts