Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next up, I thought it'd be fun to show off some complete sets. This is the Johnny Lightning Stock Car Legends set from 1998 and 1999. They were released in 3 waves with 3 different package designs.

I love the metal on metal bodies with rubber wheels, and these in particular have great contingency stickers compared to what you would normally see from Racing Champions, Action, Revel, and others around this time. I also like that the cards for each show the actual cars. Since I like the individual cards so much, I spread them out in some pictures so you can see them all.

My biggest gripe with these is that the stance of the cars throws off the realism for me significantly. You can see in the cards that must of these rode very low with the wheels tucked up under the fenders, while these cars are sitting up above the wheels on every model. I'm guessing this is for ease of manufacturing since the wheels can be placed into the bodies directly from the side. I can imagine this being a 1 step manufacturing process to slide the wheel and axle assembly in from the side compared to needing one arm to side the wheel up into the fender and a second to slide the axle in when aligned. Or maybe it's so they'll roll better since the wheels would probably rub against the inside of the fenders given the tolerances.

You can see the first wave of 12 cars, and then for the second wave later that year with 4 added, then one last wave the next year with 6 cars.

Also, can we all appreciate how weird it is looking back and seeing STP sponsorship for someone other than the King? As a bonus picture, I'm showing Fred Lorenzen's Satellite from 1971 with STP sponsorship next to Richard Petty's Road Runner from the same year, which was the year before he became sponsored by STP shown below that. As it turns out, STP has a nice page on their history in racing.

Font Electronic device Technology Machine Fictional character

Font Technology Poster Advertising Games

Publication Font Technology Advertising Poster

Product Rectangle Textile Sleeve Font

Publication News Font Material property Newspaper

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bonus post!

I forgot to mention that there are 2 errors I've noticed or seen others point out about this set. The first is that the Darrell Waltrip Gatorade card says the car is a Pontiac Grand Prix, like the Rusty Wallace Gatorade car, but you can see it's a Chevy Monte Carlo. The second is that the back of the third wave says the last car is driver Jim Stacy, but you can see the card and car show it driven by Neil Bonnett for owner and sponsor Jim Stacy.

I thought it might be fun to show a couple more Johnny Lightning cars released 20 years later with similar castings, Richard Petty's 1972 Plymouth Roadrunner and 1974 Dodge Charger.

In chronological order, you see 2 1971 Plymouth Satellites, the 1972 Roadrunner, the 1973 Dodge Charger, 1974 Charger, and 1977 Charger. I think it's cool seeing the difference in the castings of the fronts and rears unique to each year and model, given how Racing Champions back in the day probably would have just had one casting for them all.

Product Font Bumper Electric blue Fictional character

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive lighting Hood

Light Hood Automotive lighting Toy Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive lighting Car Hood Automotive tire

Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
Very very nice set mister , I’m a huge oldschool collector and I love to see that I’m not the only one. This set is amazing , unfortunately I can’t start another diecast size collection because of the lack of space that I have . Congrats on this awesome collection I love it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Next up, I thought it'd be fun to show off some complete sets. This is the Johnny Lightning Stock Car Legends set from 1998 and 1999. They were released in 3 waves with 3 different package designs.

I love the metal on metal bodies with rubber wheels, and these in particular have great contingency stickers compared to what you would normally see from Racing Champions, Action, Revel, and others around this time. I also like that the cards for each show the actual cars. Since I like the individual cards so much, I spread them out in some pictures so you can see them all.

My biggest gripe with these is that the stance of the cars throws off the realism for me significantly. You can see in the cards that must of these rode very low with the wheels tucked up under the fenders, while these cars are sitting up above the wheels on every model. I'm guessing this is for ease of manufacturing since the wheels can be placed into the bodies directly from the side. I can imagine this being a 1 step manufacturing process to slide the wheel and axle assembly in from the side compared to needing one arm to side the wheel up into the fender and a second to slide the axle in when aligned. Or maybe it's so they'll roll better since the wheels would probably rub against the inside of the fenders given the tolerances.

You can see the first wave of 12 cars, and then for the second wave later that year with 4 added, then one last wave the next year with 6 cars.

Also, can we all appreciate how weird it is looking back and seeing STP sponsorship for someone other than the King? As a bonus picture, I'm showing Fred Lorenzen's Satellite from 1971 with STP sponsorship next to Richard Petty's Road Runner from the same year, which was the year before he became sponsored by STP shown below that. As it turns out, STP has a nice page on their history in racing.

View attachment 735367
View attachment 735368
View attachment 735369
View attachment 735370
View attachment 735371
View attachment 735372

View attachment 735372
Excuse me but the blue plymouth roadrunner which model is it? I can't find it in the Johnny Lightning production .... thank you very much

Luca

1 - 13 of 13 Posts