Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the news that Timmy Hill and Rick Ware racing has decided to put their Cup efforts on hold that only leaves one Rookie of the Year contender. So unless someone actually comes in with a ride and some backing it looks like this Rookie of the Year "battle" is over. Must feel good for Josh considering he had the #37 ride, then lost it because Timmy Hill and Rick Ware brought a Sponsor with them. He then finds a ride with Front Row Motorsports and has qualified fairly well. He's hoping it lead to better success Josh! Man I can't wait until the next few year we might get a decent Rookie Class in the next few years with, Trevor Bayne, Ricky Steinhouse Jr., Cole Whitt, Austin Dillion, even Danica Patrick just to name a few vying for Rookie of the Year Honors!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
I'll file this under 'who gives a crap?' Until we get some new, better funded teams in Cup, we'll continue to have the same drivers until they retire. It's been a long time since we've had a worthy Rookie of the Year recipient. If/when Wise 'wins' the title, he won't have earned it. He hasn't even finished a race this year.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trevor can't go for it.....
Under the new rules I would say correct, but if you remember the bogus rule they made since Trevor hasn't run and gained point in the Cup Series he is still eligible for Rookie of the year honors. At least it was that way last year, which doesn't make sense since you could run a full season on the cup side not run for point yet the following year run for Rookie of the Year honors? But as far as I know he's still eligible for it same with Danica and her running 10 races this year.

·
58 wins, 4x champ in ARS
9,162 Posts
Awesome, wait I don't care. ROTY in NASCAR has been forever tarnished and winning unopposed means you didn't win.

·
Banned
17,329 Posts
hence 2010-now has sucked on ROTY

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Under the new rules I would say correct, but if you remember the bogus rule they made since Trevor hasn't run and gained point in the Cup Series he is still eligible for Rookie of the year honors. At least it was that way last year, which doesn't make sense since you could run a full season on the cup side not run for point yet the following year run for Rookie of the Year honors? But as far as I know he's still eligible for it same with Danica and her running 10 races this year.
when trevor bayne elected to go for nationwide points earlier this year, several sources (nascar reporters like bob pockrass, etc.) said that bayne will now never be eligible for cup rookie of the year. too bad for him, he can never share the elite honor that has been won by such legends as kevin conway and andy lally.

·
Banned
17,329 Posts
Pretty much since the 2007 class actually. Regan Smith and Joey Logano are good, they just had no competition in their rookie classes(Hornish, Scott Speed).
meh i dont thnk hornish and speed were that bad

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Pretty much since the 2007 class actually. Regan Smith and Joey Logano are good, they just had no competition in their rookie classes(Hornish, Scott Speed).
Smith and Hornish had quite a battle for rookie of the year... not in a good way. They both sucked as rookies. Hornish = 0 top 10s, 2 DNQs and avg. finish of 29.6. Smith = 0 top 10s and avg. finish of 28.2. Both driving decent equipment, not the best.

Logano was pretty decent, but not spectacular. A strategy win, 3 top 5s, 7 top 10s and an average finish of 20.0. Opposed to Scott Speed, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 and an avg. finish of 29.0.

You can go back further than that. Montoya was no better than Logano (1 win, 3 top 5s, 6 tops 10s, 20th in points). His competition was pretty weak (Ragan, Menard, Reutimann and Allmendinger). Now those drivers are fairly stout and all have won except AJ, who is very close. But in 2007, only Montoya and Ragan posted top 10s.

2006 was the last rookie class to be excited about. Hamlin, Bowyer and Truex all posted multiple top five finishes. Sorenson had a top five and all of them had at least 5 top 10s. And Stremme was, well, not good.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when trevor bayne elected to go for nationwide points earlier this year, several sources (nascar reporters like bob pockrass, etc.) said that bayne will now never be eligible for cup rookie of the year. too bad for him, he can never share the elite honor that has been won by such legends as kevin conway and andy lally.
Why would he never be eligible for it? I mean I understand the whole he has a full season under his belt how can he be a rookie deal but John Andretti was a Rookie in the Busch/Nationwide Series when he ran how many seasons in Cup? Also I think Johnny Sauter was just named Truck Series Rookie of the Year just recently too after having a Busch/Nationwide and Cup Career. I mean honestly the whole Rookie of the Year status has become a bit of a joke in the recent year so they might as well let it go further with letting Trevor run for it even with 2 years or 10+ races under his belt.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
meh i dont thnk hornish and speed were that bad
They sure aren't very good.

Smith and Hornish had quite a battle for rookie of the year... not in a good way. They both sucked as rookies. Hornish = 0 top 10s, 2 DNQs and avg. finish of 29.6. Smith = 0 top 10s and avg. finish of 28.2. Both driving decent equipment, not the best.

Logano was pretty decent, but not spectacular. A strategy win, 3 top 5s, 7 top 10s and an average finish of 20.0. Opposed to Scott Speed, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 and an avg. finish of 29.0.

You can go back further than that. Montoya was no better than Logano (1 win, 3 top 5s, 6 tops 10s, 20th in points). His competition was pretty weak (Ragan, Menard, Reutimann and Allmendinger). Now those drivers are fairly stout and all have won except AJ, who is very close. But in 2007, only Montoya and Ragan posted top 10s.

2006 was the last rookie class to be excited about. Hamlin, Bowyer and Truex all posted multiple top five finishes. Sorenson had a top five and all of them had at least 5 top 10s. And Stremme was, well, not good.
2007 was a pretty good class IMO, 3 top-20 drivers and Reutimann and Ragan that have won races.

And Smith won at 'Dega in his rookie year:wink:

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Bayne ran 17 races last year, about half the schedule. He shouldn't be eligible anyway.

Agreed that the whole process is screwy. The funniest thing about John Andretti running for the Nationwide rookie of the year after a decade of running in Cup is that he LOST!

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
2007 was a pretty good class IMO, 3 top-20 drivers and Reutimann and Ragan that have won races.
It doesn't really matter what they've done since. In 2007, it was pretty weak. They've all done well since though, yes.

Robby Gordon has a banner in his shop that says we won the inaugural Montreal Busch Series race. It doesn't mean it actually happened.

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
It doesn't really matter what they've done since. In 2007, it was pretty weak. They've all done well since though, yes.

Robby Gordon has a banner in his shop that says we won the inaugural Montreal Busch Series race. It doesn't mean it actually happened.
LOL wow robby is just thristy for wins. Whatever if it makes him feel better too have it up there go ahead.

·
Banned
17,329 Posts
They sure aren't very good.

i ahve 2 agree with that about dega stewart didnt deserve that

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Why would he never be eligible for it? I mean I understand the whole he has a full season under his belt how can he be a rookie deal but John Andretti was a Rookie in the Busch/Nationwide Series when he ran how many seasons in Cup? Also I think Johnny Sauter was just named Truck Series Rookie of the Year just recently too after having a Busch/Nationwide and Cup Career. I mean honestly the whole Rookie of the Year status has become a bit of a joke in the recent year so they might as well let it go further with letting Trevor run for it even with 2 years or 10+ races under his belt.
they said he would be ineligible because even though he has never ran for cup points by next season he would have at least 30 cup starts-enough to give him an unfair advantage over other rookies. andretti was allowed to run for nationwide ROTY in 2006 because he had 1 previous nationwide start and less than 15 cup starts over the previous 2 season. he ended in a tie with danny o'quinn jr, as it's general believed he conceded the award to danny. as a sauter fan, i admit it was a little iffy for him, he had 11 previous truck starts over six seasons.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
yep, I dont care what the stats say, NASCAR knew that Tony would have complained to Helton and this would have gone on for a while. While They obviusly let Jr go below the line in 2003 and Jr Nation would have started a war with NASCAR but that is a story for another day.

taterracing said:
Really? Thats way too funny.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
that's awesome. although, as a cup driver harvick wasn't the real "winner" of that nationwide race either. imo it was patrick carpentier, as the highest finishing non-cupper. of course, without cup drivers in the field ambrose never would have been spun out of the lead in the first place, but i could go on about that all day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts