Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an interesting read.

Sponsorship woes may cost Kenny Wallace his ride: UPDATE: After 867 career starts in NASCAR's Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series, Kenny Wallace may be facing the end of the line. The nine-time Nationwide Series winner has sponsorship from American Ethanol and Family Farmers for just five races this season, including the just-completed Drive For COPD 300 at Daytona International Speedway. Now, Wallace has been informed that unless he is able to secure additional backing, his run with RAB Racing will likely come to an end. "(Team owner) Robby Benton came to me and said, `We're going to run you for first five races of year," revealed Wallace today. "`If we don't have any sponsorship after that, I'm going to have to sell the ride.' He's already got some little rich kids calling about buying races, so I may be out of the car pretty soon. I'm heartbroken," said Wallace. "I worked my ass off last year to get my dignity back and prove to everyone that we could still run up front. And look at me now, running around like a bozo in a plain black car. It's demoralizing. I can't find any more money, so it looks like I'm not going to be a full time driver this year. If I don't have any money after California, the ride will go to whoever has money. Robby has to pay his crew, and I understand that."(GodfatherMotorsports.com)(3-2-2012)
UPDATE: Team owner Robby Benton told SB Nation he takes exception to Wallace's approach. Benton said he's been trying to find sponsorship for Wallace over the past 14 months and is running a black, unsponsored car at Phoenix in an effort to show the ride is available. But Benton feels Wallace's desperation is undermining his efforts to strike a deal with a potential sponsor. "He thinks what he's doing is generating interest," Benton said. "But at the end of the day, it's making me and our race team look like a couple of asshats and trying to get people to feel sorry for him. That's not productive. You don't want people to feel sorry for you. We're trying to sell a strong, marketable program." Benton said RAB Racing is not broke and has the structure in place to field a strong program. But it will be broke if sponsorship isn't found, which is why Benton said he's in a position to make some difficult choices. "For what it costs to be associated with us, to get the performance we exhibit and to get the popularity Kenny has got, we're one of the best bargains in the garage," Benton said. "And we still can't sell it.So in order to not break myself and put us in a position where we're destitute, I've got to make some tough decisions." That includes listening to offers from drivers who could potentially bring funding to the team. Wallace was particularly vocal on Twitter about the rent-a-ride philosophy. (< AHREF="http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2012/3/3/2841997/nascar-nationwide-series-phoenix-kenny-wallace-rab-racing-2012/in/2603180">SB Nation)

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I do feel bad for Kenny since he has done a lot for RAB Racing and has finished well with them, but I also understand where Robbie is coming from in stating(and I'm paraphrasing here) When Kenny is on camera should just drive or talk about NASCAR not be begging for sponsorship and if he wants to help behind the scenes then he's more than welcomed to. Hopefully they find some sponsorship because I'd rather see Kenny Wallace in the #09 rather than Kevin Conway #09 Extenze

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
I feel bad for the Hermanator, He is proven to have Top 10 rides in the 09, Like Richmond last year, I wish he would find a sponsor, Up to @thenascarfans now to get one hopefully.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
Thats gonna be a setback.

·
Look Who's Back!!
2,265 Posts
Yeah that blown tire is gonna hurt. But I'm with Robby a bit, Herman needs to tone down the begging. If a sponsor thinks a team is desperate for money, they're not going to invest as much money in the team. Plus Kenny's mouth is annoying, so if he'd shut up for 5 minutes maybe they could get something done.

I also feel bad for Trevor Bayne, they were saying he might only have 1 more race before the 60 gets shut down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
He had a fan sponsorship drive a few years back which could probably be replicated. He raised a lot of cash, if I remember correctly. Gave all donors an autographed photo of the car.

·
#Champ18n
10,102 Posts
Kenny has proven that he deserves a sponsor! He is a great guy with a hell of a personality, and he races well!

·
JEREMY MAYFIELD FAN FOREVER
13,197 Posts
I feel so bad for Kenny he has potential and is a sponsor's dream

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I feel so bad for Kenny he has potential and is a sponsor's dream
Eh... A 48-year-old driver who's best days were a decade and a half ago is not a sponsor's dream. He's a very likable guy who can still produce decent finishes, but there are many other drivers who sponsors would go after (and no, I'm not referring to Cup drivers). Let's face it, Kenny's a old man in a young man's, and now young woman's, sport. I hope he can land a sponsor soon. He's an energetic and fun guy, but his days left as a driver a limited.

·
Registered
672 Posts
At Hermie's fan club party last year at NHMS a rep. was there from Federated,Hermie said Federated had signed on for 10 races in 2012.When he was with the #28 Border Patrol they wouldn't sponsor him in Canada.He wouldn't have sponsorship from Federated if it wasn't for Kenny Schrader.As far as Hermie being a "old" man years ago drivers didn't get started till they were in there late 20's.Racing has come down to rich parents with brat kids who think they can drive.You would never think a company as big as NASCAR would lose a law suit and create D4D which has caused more problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Kenny has personality and will hock anything he had to to race. I think he is alot like Michael Waltrip, medium to good driver but great sponsor personality. Why else would NAPA stay with Waltrip so long. Good luck Kenny on finding sponsorship

1 - 16 of 16 Posts