Diecast Crazy Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new guy on the block with a real "Mystery Car" here!!

I've been all over evil bay.....google searched....posted this at other forums...
Even emailed several diecast sellers.
NO ONE seems to know for sure what the heck the story is with this car.
Few speculations is all but nothing definate.

I bought this in a lot of 9 cars and I'm real curious as to the story behind it.
Being 1 of 800 is not a over produced car and I certainly haven't seen another.

Not saying it's worth a mint but it's gotta be RARE??

I see quite a knowledgeable bunch here so I thought I'd pick your brains. ::)

 

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
Joined
·
20,242 Posts
Re: Mystery car!! Help!!!!

Back in the day, Action's BOD had a yearly meeting. They gave them each a collectible for attendance. I believe that is one of them. Then they were also sent to distributors back in the day also, as way back, there were many distributors. That's the story I received from Becketts when I had one and was inquiring about it.
 

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Mystery car!! Help!!!!

FFighter_21 said:
Back in the day, Action's BOD had a yearly meeting. They gave them each a collectible for attendance. I believe that is one of them. Then they were also sent to distributors back in the day also, as way back, there were many distributors. That's the story I received from Becketts when I had one and was inquiring about it.
So how common is it and is there any future value in it?
Not that it matters I think it's a pretty kewl car! ;)
 

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
Joined
·
20,242 Posts
Re: Mystery car!! Help!!!!

Well, it is pretty uncommon. The low production attests to that, but as far as worth, it's like everything else. Who wants it? I like the car and wouldn't mind having one. Alot of people don't collect "Fantasy cars". My experience has been that they prefer a car that was actually raced. But there is a niche for everything. I kinda like some "Fantasy cars". I have had many Gordon original 00' "Fantasy cars" and I have a complete set of DEI Pit Practice cars. Hey, I believe, collect what YOU want, and the value deal will shake out how it shakes out. Nice piece BTW!
 

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Mystery car!! Help!!!!

FFighter_21 said:
Well, it is pretty uncommon. The low production attests to that, but as far as worth, it's like everything else. Who wants it? I like the car and wouldn't mind having one. Alot of people don't collect "Fantasy cars". My experience has been that they prefer a car that was actually raced. But there is a niche for everything. I kinda like some "Fantasy cars". I have had many Gordon original 00' "Fantasy cars" and I have a complete set of DEI Pit Practice cars. Hey, I believe, collect what YOU want, and the value deal will shake out how it shakes out. Nice piece BTW!
Thanx a LOT for the info!
I'm sure others will chime in with more?
Funny you call it a fantasy car I kinda looked at it as a promo for Action<<shrug>>
Yeah it was a nice bonus to the other 8 cars I got with it.
$56 total for 9 1:24's was a decent deal esp with that in the mix.
 

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
Joined
·
20,242 Posts
You are correct, it is a promo, but it is also considered a fantasy car as it was never ran in a race.
 

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick said:
Thats a nice car ! Dont know much about it karz , but i do know its nice :)
Thanx Nick!

I figured it was a nice plus to the lot I bought!
I'm sucker for rare low production pieces at that price. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,307 Posts
that is funny, i was watching that lot too, not for the Gordons or the promo, but for the Johnson. you got a nice haul.
 

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JoKeR_20 said:
that is funny, i was watching that lot too, not for the Gordons or the promo, but for the Johnson. you got a nice haul.
Yeah my 15yr old is a Jimmie Johnson fan and has His Regular Rookie in a Action.
Figured the "Power Of Pride" would go to Him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hi everyone - new member to the forum. As stated - that car is a "Promo". Does anyone remember the SpeedMall launch? I have the same piece in my collection. I won mine from the speedmall when they had a promo going - Every order qualified you for a scratch ticket.
 

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GoBison said:
Hi everyone - new member to the forum. As stated - that car is a "Promo". Does anyone remember the SpeedMall launch? I have the same piece in my collection. I won mine from the speedmall when they had a promo going - Every order qualified you for a scratch ticket.
Welcome and thanx for the info!
Guess that does make it VERY RARE?

Guess Speedmall didn't make it for long?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Heh... Yeah, the Speedmall had a very short life. Are there any old RCCA members on this board? Back in the day (prior to the speedmall) members had to use the telephone (old skool) to order new releases. The Speedmall/GoRacing launch allowed members to order new releases online. Anyway, if you want to see what the old site looked like you can use the WayBack Machine (http://www.archive.org/web/web.php)

Here is the speedmall site archive http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://speedmall.com Hit the links from 1999 to see what the site was all about.

Also, here is some info regarding the Speedmall contest:
Your chance to win $1 million instantly!
PLAY SPEEDMALL "SCREECHERS!"
Purchases made at participating stores will give you a chance to win great prizes AND a million dollars instantly! Your game card will appear on your monitor, simply hold down your mouse button, scratch off the graphic images, and, if there are three matches you win! If you match three (3) money bags, you advance to the bonus round to play one more time - for $1 Million! If not, try again after your next purchase!

Wow!! Lot of memories there - Guess I've been away from the diecast scene for awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Another tidbit about the old SpeedMall: SELECTNET

RCCA/Action decided to release the SELECTNET series in both Elites and CWC. Limited edition runs that were not individually numbered.

Who remembers these?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,707 Posts
i am an old RCCA member that remembers all that crap.
 

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhhh way kewl!
The ole wayback machine.
Sounds like it was a lotta fun while it lasted!
I still think economics has killed everything.
Well that and the greed of the companies to mass produce.

Many PPL outta work.....cost of gas and such has hurt everything.
I checked the ticket cost for Richmond....$135 a head...no wonder ticket sales are down.
I don't know a hellova lot of PPL that can afford that!
That's why MILLIONS of PPL sit home and watch the races.

Talked to the Local Racing Collectable Shop guy.....
He has been buying Collections up pretty steady.
Job situation in my area is way down so PPL are selling off.
Does more shows and online selling than local sales so I dunno how long He can keep a float.


SAD!! :(
 

·
JEREMY MAYFIELD FAN FOREVER
Joined
·
13,197 Posts
nice grabs
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top