Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series News: Kurt Busch Has Busy Day At Indy And Charlotte - MRN.com
By: Dustin Long - @dustinlong on May 25, 2014 | 3:29 P.M. EST

Kurt Busch finished sixth in Sunday's Indianapolis 500 before placing 40th in the Coca-Cola 600 because of engine problems. (Photo: Getty Images)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on print More Sharing Services

Print
Email

Kurt Busch finished sixth in Sunday’s Indianapolis 500, avoiding two wrecks as he completed all 500 miles in his quest to run in both that race and the Coca-Cola 600 in the same day.
Busch ties Tony Stewart and Robby Gordon with the highest finish in the Indy 500 for a driver running that race and the 600 in the same day. Stewart finished sixth at Indy in 2001 when he completed all 1,100 miles. Gordon finished sixth in the 2000 Indy 500 but missed the start of the Coca-Cola 600.
Ryan Hunter-Reay won Sunday's Indianapolis 500 and former NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya finished fifth. Busch, making his first IndyCar start, was the highest-finishing rookie.
Busch did not leave Indianapolis Motor Speedway in time to make it to the drivers meeting for the Coca-Cola 600, forcing him to start at the rear for the race. His helicopter landed on the frontstretch infield grass at Charlotte Motor Speedway at 4:53 p.m. - 1 hour and 36 minutes after the Indianapolis 500 ended.
“I’m feeling good,’’ Busch said shortly before the 600. “The energy from running the race and the adrenalin and then I have to separate and focus on what is happening now, and that’s 600 miles. I’m really happy with the finish up there. The Andretti guys were incredible on leading me through that race. I love long green-flag runs in races, and of course you have to be ready at the end for restarts. All in all, I couldn’t take anything more away.’’
Would Busch do it again?
“I do like it enough to do it again,’’ he said. “We’ll see how things go tonight. I want to really get settled in with the Haas Automation Chevy and give it our best. … I have a job to do now, like I need to ignore the 500 miles I just did.”
Busch ran a smooth and steady race after starting 12th. He gradually fell back to 18th and was 17th at the halfway mark. With the first half of the race under green, Busch and his Andretti Autosport team didn’t have much of a chance to make adjustments on the car.
Busch climbed into the top 10 with 52 laps left in the race. He moved to ninth on pit road and climbed to eighth when Scott Dixon crashed with 33 laps left.
Dixon spun and hit the outside wall in Turn 4. Busch moved low to avoid the incident but then had to move up the track as Dixon’s car came across the track.
On the ensuring restart, pole-sitter Ed Carpenter and James Hinchcliffe crashed in Turn 1. Busch already was running on the bottom and didn’t have any issues getting by the crash.
Busch’s biggest moment though came with about 10 laps to go when Townsend Bell, running fifth, crashed in Turn 2 and Busch, running seventh, had to take evasive action to avoid Bell’s car as it came across the track. Busch had to drive well low to get by Bell’s wrecked car.
The race was halted to clean the debris
Busch restarted sixth and stayed there to the finish.

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
First Indy car race and he finishes sixth. That's pretty awesome. I hope he does it again. It's good for racing to see a guy do the double.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
It sucks his night ended early but I bet if he wins early next year that he will be trying to do it again. It's the only thing I see them worried about for the most part.

·
In It 2 Win It
12,031 Posts
I gained respect for him there (not that it matters). Great day even though it ended bad. I would love to see him and maybe another try again next year.

·
Gordon to Blaney
5,573 Posts
I'd like to see him try it again.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,087 Posts
had a good feeling about the 500...he's tested open wheel a few times, notably with interest in the double...dude is one of those rare talents who can race anything with wheels and do so competitively. He's his own worst enemy at times. Though at the 600 the HMS motor program was the real problem.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
had a good feeling about the 500...he's tested open wheel a few times, notably with interest in the double...dude is one of those rare talents who can race anything with wheels and do so competitively. He's his own worst enemy at times. Though at the 600 the HMS motor program was the real problem.
I agree! I really want to see him race a V8 supercar atleast when they come back but doubt it's an option.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
My guess is for 2016 the 100th running of the indy 500 there will be 3 Nascar cup drivers in the race and the 600 will be pushed back 30 -45 min to make sure there is no problem

G

·
He should be pretty proud of himself. He had a great race at Indy and the night at Charlotte may have ended early but it was of no fault of his own

1 - 11 of 11 Posts