Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR announced the penalty today for Kurt Busch's dangerous driving on pit road during last week's Autism Speaks 400 in Dover. After an on-track incident Kurt Busch pulled next to Tony Stewart on pit road to express his displeasure with Stewart's driving. One of Stewart's crew members was looking at the damage on Stewart's car and was almost hit when Kurt pulled along side.
Kurt was not allowed to return to the race after the incident. In addition, NASCAR has taken away 100 driver points, 100 car owner points from Roger Penske and issued a $100,000 fine. This infraction drops Kurt Busch from 11th back to a tie for 18th in points.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i also found this:

Busch's slap of the wrist minor compared to crime
Penalty equal to COT infraction on Earnhardt Jr.'s car

It was April 13, 2002, when the incident occurred, in a Truck Series race no less.

Kevin Harvick spun out Coy Gibbs on a Saturday-evening drive at Martinsville. It was retaliation for an earlier incident in which Gibbs turned Harvick around. So on Lap 188, Harvick smashed into the back of Gibbs' truck in Turn 1 and ended his day.

Harvick immediately was black-flagged, told by NASCAR officials to come to the garage and hand over his keys. He was parked for the day. All that came while Harvick was on probation from a post-race Busch Series incident at Bristol. The expected penalty: a monetary fine and some points taken away -- status quo in NASCAR's courtroom.

But on Sunday, April 14, the news came: Harvick was suspended from the Cup race for his aggressive driving.

Fast forward to Monday's altercation between Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart. Aggressive driving, continual bumping for several laps and finally Busch tries to get by Stewart only to get turned. Stewart didn't give an inch, and his front bumper of the armored-car-like COT sent Busch nose-first into the Dover wall.

Stewart went to pit road for repairs, and Busch followed him. Problem was that Busch brought his No. 2 Dodge to a screeching halt and gently slid into Stewart's No. 20 Chevrolet.

The photo of jackman Jason Lee jumping onto the hood of Stewart's car for fear of his life tells it all.

And on Friday NASCAR finally handed down its penalty. Would it be one race? Two races? It wasn't a matter of "if" but "how many" races Busch would be suspended after crossing the proverbial line of safety -- NASCAR's baby aside from the actual racecar in the world of safety improvements has been pit road for the past two decades.

And at precisely 9:13 a.m. ET, the e-mail came: Kurt Busch penalized due to rule infraction at Dover International Speedway.

Click. Open. Nothing.

Busch got spanked with a deduction of 100 driver points, fined $100,000 and owner Roger Penske lost 100 points.

There are fire suits on pit road for the gas men. There are helmets that all crewmen must wear. Most of the over-the-wall guys wear safety goggles of some kind for protection of elements and fuel. There is a limit to how many crewmen can be over the wall at one time. There is a speed limit (of all things in racing) on pit road.

Pit-road safety measures are no laughing matter in stock-car racing. Yet Friday's penalty is.

The penalty dished against Busch was Rule 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing -- reckless driving; endangering a crew member on pit road).

Busch penalized

Kurt Busch was penalized 100 points and fined $100,000 for his Dover actions on pit road.

Oh, so that's the rule for using your car as a 3,400-pound battering ram when a jackman is trying to work on a competitor's car. We've all been looking for it.

Bottom line: The penalty is absurd. It does not fit the crime. And it does not hold true to precedence.

True, when Harvick was suspended for a race it came after he had committed multiple on-track incidents within a matter of weeks and while being on probation.

But let's not kid ourselves. Busch's track (and off-track) record hasn't been as crystal as Miller's brew. Remember when a feud with Jimmy Spencer came to a head at Michigan in 2003? Busch stopped in front of Spencer's hauler and Spencer promptly punched Busch in the nose. Note: Spencer was suspended for the following week's race.

Even penalties dished out earlier this season make Friday's paddle-whipping look weak.

Following Daytona, $50,000 fines and 50-point deductions were upheld for Kasey Kahne and Matt Kenseth for infractions on the car pre-race. The big daddy to start the season was the $100,000 fine and 100-point loss slapped on Michael Waltrip's team for an unidentified substance in the carburetor. Two of his team members got suspended indefinitely.

And just three weeks ago, Dale Earnhardt Jr. was penalized 100 points and crew chief Tony Eury Jr. was fined $100,000 for an illegal part on the No. 8 team's Car of Tomorrow at Darlington -- a rear mount for the wing.

So in essence, a wrong part on the COT is treated the same as Busch nearly running over a man on pit road.

And for all those interested, it would be nice, for once, to see the actual check that Busch writes to NASCAR for the fine because he will be the one paying, won't he? And this probation period through Dec. 31 -- so if he acts up at the postseason banquet, does that mean he can't race for the rest of the year?

"They all want pit-road safety, and we have to wear helmets and fire suits, but you can't combat [a car]," Lee said following the incident. "What matters is they want pit-road safety and they got a guy doing a bonehead move like that. We all got families to go home to at night."

The fact that a crewman was scared for his life magnifies Monday's mishap. Problem is that obviously wasn't seen in considering the penalty.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Not trying to start anything, but Tony, as well as other drivers have had their share of hitting other cars in the pits. I will say Kurts was a little more boneheaded considering a crew member was right there, but tons of drivers have wrecked each other in the pits and slammed into each other without much of a penalty. Gordon and Stewart a few years ago, Kevin Harvick and Ricky Rudd, Stewart and Edwards, and just so I don't sound biased, Robby and Jr. I think Kurt got a fair penalty seeing with all those past experiences none of the drivers got suspended, only probation and some money.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My take is I think he got what he deserves, and I'm sure he wont complain about it. Yes it's really stupid that he hit the car, and could have taken out a crew member. My personal opinion is: These drivers get paid millions of dollars, instead of tearing up the cars, let them get out and deal with it on there feet. Oh wait God forbid a celebrity gets a broken nose.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Could it be that the penalty is not that severe 'cause Penske owns the car? He has never had any trouble before that I know of. That doesn't make it right, but since when has NASCAR cared if anything was right....

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mearsfan25 said:
My personal opinion is: These drivers get paid millions of dollars, instead of tearing up the cars, let them get out and deal with it on there feet. Oh wait God forbid a celebrity gets a broken nose.
i have said this for years. instead of all the celebrities, (include: sports stars and actors/actresses, musicians, ect.) using the media to do their battles and talking sh!t on a mic or in a magazine, make it a pay-per-veiw. "Celebrity Fight Club" is what it can be called. let them duke it out and turn a portion or all the procedes to the likes of victory junction or habitat for humanity or something or whatever charity they want it donated to.

No more "he bumped into me", no more "yo, he was talkin' about my moms yo, and i jus gotta take it to the songs and battle it out and do what i gots to do yo" or no more "he stole by boyfriend and shes a home wrecker" in the tabloids.

let them get at it in the squared circle and find out who can back up their words. "its either put up or shut up"

to quote Guns and Roses: "Get in the Ring"

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
JoKeR_20 said:
Mearsfan25 said:
My personal opinion is: These drivers get paid millions of dollars, instead of tearing up the cars, let them get out and deal with it on there feet. Oh wait God forbid a celebrity gets a broken nose.
i have said this for years. instead of all the celebrities, (include: sports stars and actors/actresses, musicians, ect.) using the media to do their battles and talking sh!t on a mic or in a magazine, make it a pay-per-veiw. "Celebrity Fight Club" is what it can be called. let them duke it out and turn a portion or all the procedes to the likes of victory junction or habitat for humanity or something or whatever charity they want it donated to.

No more "he bumped into me", no more "yo, he was talkin' about my moms yo, and i jus gotta take it to the songs and battle it out and do what i gots to do yo" or no more "he stole by boyfriend and shes a home wrecker" in the tabloids.

let them get at it in the squared circle and find out who can back up their words. "its either put up or shut up"

to quote Guns and Roses: "Get in the Ring"
I agree Joker, they need to just let them duke it out. Plus if you let them fight, they will probably have more anger/emotion out of there system and they will be able to think more clearly, and mabe not hold grudges. Then again there would probably be a bunch of holes with that too..But lets say Stewart and Busch did fight lol..Well nevermind I would like to see Busch to race another day! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
selby92 said:
Not trying to start anything, but Tony, as well as other drivers have had their share of hitting other cars in the pits. I will say Kurts was a little more boneheaded considering a crew member was right there, but tons of drivers have wrecked each other in the pits and slammed into each other without much of a penalty. Gordon and Stewart a few years ago, Kevin Harvick and Ricky Rudd, Stewart and Edwards, and just so I don't sound biased, Robby and Jr. I think Kurt got a fair penalty seeing with all those past experiences none of the drivers got suspended, only probation and some money.
Harvick Got suspended for one race in 2002 for hitting another drivers truck. Earnhardt Jr. got the same penalty as Kurt for having a mounting bracket on the rear wing that passed pre-inspetion but not post inspection and he lost his crew chief for 6 weeks. (100 points deducted and fined $100,000) I really don't think that jepodizing a pit crewman should be equal to the same sentence as a improper mounting bracket on a car that didn't even win. All of the above mentioned incidents did not put a crew man in danger. They did put the drivers themselves and that isn't any better but they were also before the penelties were as stiff as they are these days! I still question why Kurt the bone head, pinned ears, can't drive punk was so mad at Stewart. He was the one that drove Tony up into the wall and caused the wreck in the first place. Did he get what he deserved. From a driving point of view, yes he got wrecked and taken out of the race. From Nascar's point of view, I feel like this is another inconsistancy in there rulings on how to fine or how stiff a penalty should be. NEVER should a part on the car and putting a crew members life in purposefull indangerment be equal!!!

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Total BULLSH*T. He shouldve been PARKED... END OF STORY. Harvick was parked for a spin in a TRUCK RACE.. Busch almost killed a pit crew member, and he gets a damn slap in the wrist. NASCAR is a f***ing lost cause. Ridiculous... un-f***ing-real.

How bout we talk about the Shannon Spake incident? I guess that never happened because it wasnt on TV right? F**k NASCAR.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
8Bob29 said:
Total BULLSH*T. He shouldve been PARKED... END OF STORY. Harvick was parked for a spin in a TRUCK RACE.. Busch almost killed a pit crew member, and he gets a damn slap in the wrist. NASCAR is a f***ing lost cause. Ridiculous... un-f***ing-real.

How bout we talk about the Shannon Spake incident? I guess that never happened because it wasnt on TV right? F**k NASCAR.
And yet you'll still watch...

I think the penalty was enough. The 100pts set him back 5 spots in the points standings from 12th to 17th. With the Chase format every point is crucial and when they start taking away big amounts then people may think twice.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
The main thing I think needs to be STRESSED, is he endangered a Pit Crew Member that had nothing to do with the initial incident. I do not think that this is in no way the same as Jr.'s Bracket mounted incorrectly, but still a lesser punishment!!!! Where is the JUSTICE!!!!

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea i could understand that if at the last second the crew member walked on that side of the car, but he had been there for a while and Kurt seen him there and did it anyway.

its like what has been stated earlier this week, " the crew had nothing to do with the incedent and yet one of them almost got taken out.

i mean i like Kurt but i really dont know what he was thinking.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I think Kurt was just upset, and let his anger out right then, when it should have been in the garage. I hate that he did that, and I think he should have been a man and walked up to Stewart rather than hitting him, saying some words, and leaving. But I understand he was pissed, I mean if your running in a hot car, doing decent, you got Nascar's bad boy (Not meant to offend) holding you off and racing you like a veteran, and then it gets to aggressive and wreck. That's gotta be a pain, but his actions should be treated with punishments if they're going to punish other people. You can't let some people get in trouble, and others not.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
8Bob29 said:

I must have missed something...what is the Shannon Spake incident?

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Jerry Punch said on "NASCAR Now" that after he wrecked in Charlotte, after she interviewed him (and might I add.. treated her like an ass) grabbed her, and scolded her like the the coward pussy he is. Now I didnt see this, but Im just going by what I heard, and if this did happen.. thats pretty damn sad.

·
Registered
724 Posts
8Bob29 said:
Jerry Punch said on "NASCAR Now" that after he wrecked in Charlotte, after she interviewed him (and might I add.. treated her like an ass) grabbed her, and scolded her like the the coward pussy he is. Now I didnt see this, but Im just going by what I heard, and if this did happen.. thats pretty damn sad.
Whats wrong with that? Have you've you ever seen the press? Thier idiots. They think they can go shove a microphone up in your face. And then they ask the most stupid questions. The press needs to learn to back off for a while.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts