Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry all,
Hit post before I could explain.
As many of you know in 96 Kyle ran a couple Halloween schemes around the mid week holiday that year. Originally the story goes that Nascar or Kyle did not like the Coors sponsored Elvira image that was supposed to be on the hood. Consequently Kyle had his daughter draw up a pumpkin and it ended up being on the hood. Diecasts were produced and it is one of Kyle's more sought after diecasts for collectors.

Anyway... being a collector and a hunter of unique schemes I have spent the last 10 years searching (on and off) for what that Elvira image was and 'why' it was banned. I even emailed Kyle Petty and Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) for help- no word back from either as they probably had me pegged as a nut job.

Well ... fast forward back to couple months ago I am searching the internet AGAIN and stumbled on a post from a nascar historian on Twitter [Nascarman]. He has a post explaining the story I just mentioned above with a pic of Kyle's pumpkin car. I tweet back to him my shared interest and how I had been searching for an image and he sent me the other image above of the shirt that Kyle sold at those two races with Elvira's face on the front. I had never seen that image before.

Boom... so I went with it. I added the 'trick or treat' with artistic license, I know it is a guess at best... so call it a fantasy scheme but I think it was as close to solving the riddle as I was ever going to get. If anyone has any additional insights... it would be great to hear it. Outside of that I am kinda tired of chasing this riddle so I am happy I did it and got in my collection- even if it is a fantasy scheme.

Thanks
Roger
PS- I fixed the C in Coors on the hood. Scuffed it prior to taking the pic.

·
Mark Martin CraZy
653 Posts
Very nice. And I agree with your use of artistic license. I've been faced with the same 'lack of reference material" issue before when researching for a photo of an obscure one-off paint scheme. I'd have the passenger side, but not the driver's... or missing some other perspective. I've decided to go with my gut and hope my instincts were correct. If someone surfaces that proves me wrong with an actual photo, that's even better.

Thanks for posting.

M

·
Premium Member
10,688 Posts
Great looking custom Roger !!!! Thanks for that interesting background story too !!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
@ROGER D JONES

Thanks for making the post. I have seen the pumpkin car, but never the Elvira car. I know this was a custom, but there was never a mass produced Elvira car?

I don’t have the pumpkin car, most of the time it’s highly priced and stay away. Maybe one day it will be part of my Kyle Petty collection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ROGER D JONES

Thanks for making the post. I have seen the pumpkin car, but never the Elvira car. I know this was a custom, but there was never a mass produced Elvira car?

I don’t have the pumpkin car, most of the time it’s highly priced and stay away. Maybe one day it will be part of my Kyle Petty collection.
That Elvira scheme is a total 'guesstimation/shot in the dark' on my part. I went off the image from the shirt sold at the races that Halloween. Figured too that since that image had never been on any other promotional material it could 'very likely' been on the car. So I went with it...

I will keep an eye out for you on the pumpkin car. If I find one I can do a custom of 'as she actually raced' or the Elvira and give you a good deal. Just finished up a slew of Kyle Petty Coors schemes.... some really cool stuff!

Roger

·
Black #3 Fan
2,881 Posts
That Elvira scheme is a total 'guesstimation/shot in the dark' on my part. I went off the image from the shirt sold at the races that Halloween. Figured too that since that image had never been on any other promotional material it could 'very likely' been on the car. So I went with it...

I will keep an eye out for you on the pumpkin car. If I find one I can do a custom of 'as she actually raced' or the Elvira and give you a good deal. Just finished up a slew of Kyle Petty Coors schemes.... some really cool stuff!

Roger
Awesome story, there use to be a guy here years ago who was an enc

·
Black #3 Fan
2,881 Posts
Awesome story, there use to be a guy here years ago who was an enc
enciclopedia on all sorts of diecast and nascar history. A true asset to the site his name is Ben Kingsley. I do own a 1/64 hallowing petty but have never seen the Elvira version. Thanks for sharing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts