Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series News: Kyle Larson Talks Indy and Pocono - MRN.com
By: Dustin Long - @dustinlong on May 28, 2014 | 11:15 A.M. EST

Larson is at Pocono today, completing the second day of a two-day test with Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Jamie McMurray and 10 other Sprint Cup drivers. (Photo: Getty Images)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on print More Sharing Services

Print
Email

Kyle Larson wants to drive in the Indianapolis 500 someday, but first he has to figure out Pocono Raceway.

Larson is at Pocono today, completing the second day of a two-day test with Chip Ganassi Racing teammate Jamie McMurray and 10 other Sprint Cup drivers. Both Larson and McMurray are also scheduled to test next week at New Hampshire Motor Speedway with Hendrick Motorsports.

Kurt Busch’s recent attempt to run all 1,100 miles in the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 has revived interest in that feat and who might be next to try it. Busch, who says he would like to do it again, finished sixth in the Indianapolis 500 and placed 40th at Charlotte when his engine blew. He fell 193.5 miles short of running the distance.

“I thought Kurt did an amazing job,’’ Larson said. “I would definitely love to run the Indy 500. Hopefully in the next couple of years, I get a shot at it. Really it’s up to Chip and Target. Not up to me, but I can beg as much as I want to.’’

For now, the 21-year-old Larson must figure out Pocono Raceawy, a track he had not driven on before this week.

“It is definitely pretty tricky,’’ he said Tuesday. “You downshift in every corner and shifting is not one of my strong suites as I missed a shift. We’re changing engines and transmissions. Hopefully, I got it out of the way early and finish the test without missing anymore.’’

Despite the struggles, Larson called the three-turn track fun.

“It’s so different than anything we race on,’’ he said. “I wish I would have got to race here before they repaved it because I’m not a big fan of repaved racetracks because I like worn out tracks.’’

Larson comes into this test off an 18th-place finish in the Coca-Cola 600. He has three top-10 finishes in his last six points races and says that the goal has become to finish in the top 10 each week instead of the top 15 as was the case earlier this season.

“Kyle has done a great job this year of staying out of trouble,’’ McMurray said. “I think one of the hardest parts for rookies is how you race people and how they race you. He’s done a good job of gaining the respect of a lot of the guys who have been around.’’

Also testing today at Pocono are Michael Waltrip Racing (Clint Bowyer, Brian Vickers and Jeff Burton), Richard Childress Racing (Austin Dillon, Paul Menard and Ryan Newman), Furniture Row Racing (Martin Truex Jr.), HScott Motorsports (Justin Allgaier), Tommy Baldwin Racing (Michael Annett) and Go Fas Racing (Travis Kvapil).

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
He will race open wheel cars at some point, i think he's a mini Tony Stewart

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
Can't wait to see him tackle Pocono in person. Let's see a Denny Hamlin 2.0 and sweep both races in his rookie year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts