Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SANFORD, Fla. -- Authorities confirmed, Tuesday, two fatalities in small plane crash into a Sanford neighborhood. One of those has been identified as Dr. Bruce Kennedy, the son-in-law of NASCAR founder Bill France, Jr.

The plane crashed Tuesday morning, sparking at least two house fires.

A fire department spokesperson said four people were injured, including a 9- or 10-year-old boy, his parents and a firefighter. A spokesman for Orlando Regional Medical Center said the child and his family are being treated at the hospital with second- and third-degree burns. A Lake Mary firefighter who reportedly lived in the neighborhood and went to help received minor injuries.

Authorities said the boy and his parents lived in one of the destroyed houses. Officials believe a family of four lived in the other house. Three of those people have been accounted for however a four-year-old has not been found. Firefighters wouldn't say if they thought that child was in the house.

News of Dr. Kennedy's death is another blow to the France family. Bill France, Jr. died in early June.

As of Tuesday morning, the fire department spokesman said the pilot remained in the plane in the house. The crash happened about 8:40am.

Authorities did not immediately release further details on the crash at the Preserves at Lake Monroe subdivision here, but video footage showed smoke rising from the neighborhood and firefighters dousing homes in water.

"It was an extremely intense fire," said Matt Minnetta, a fire investigator with Sanford Fire Department. Minnetta said the boy, was burned on 80 percent to 90 percent of his body. The boy gave firefighters a "thumbs-up" sign as he was loaded into an ambulance.

The twin engine Cessna 310 was registered to Competitor Liaison Bureau Inc. of Daytona Beach, said Kathleen Bergen with the Federal Aviation Administration.

The plane was traveling from Daytona Beach to Lakeland when the pilot declared smoke in the cockpit. The plane tried to land at the Orlando Sanford International Airport when it crashed about a mile or two north of the airport, Bergen said.

A message left with an airport spokeswoman was not immediately returned.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Watching the news confrence live. they now say there are five confirmed fatalities. One is the young child that was first presummed missing. Not know yet how many were on board the plane. What a sad event!!!!

·
Registered
724 Posts
fishin4cars said:
Watching the news confrence live. they now say there are five confirmed fatalities. One is the young child that was first presummed missing. Not know yet how many were on board the plane. What a sad event!!!!
Just two were on the plane.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
KK3869 said:
fishin4cars said:
Just two were on the plane.
I was watching the news inteview live. At the time they weren't really sure of the # of people on the plane. The original release stated two but then when the Fire chief was giving her interview she wasn't sure at that point exactly how many were on the plane. I wouldn't be surprised id some of the facts changed during the day. At the point I was watching everything was still in developing stages.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
From what I heard it was 2 dead on the plane and 3 on the ground for a total of 5 deaths. It also sounds like that 10yr old boy has 80-90% of his body burned so chances are he won't make it either. Either way it's a terrible tragedy.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I fell bad for the families that incurred the losses. RIP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts