Diecast Crazy Forums banner

Looking for a custom builder

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Red9car 
#1 ·
I am looking for a HIGH QUALITY custom diecast builder. Not interested in nitwits with rattle cans and floor polish, so you need not respond. Mid 80's to mid 2000's cars.

#8 · (Edited)
@Bashbrother33

I have over 50 customs in my collection and have always supplied my donor die-casts for over 20 years. I normally pay around $200 to $300 (high volume discounted rate) for top quality, high detail custom die-cast work in addition to the cost of the donor die-cast "as money is not an issue". ;)

Reputable, tenured, high quality custom guys will appreciate your business (priced accordingly) and could care less who supplies the donor die-cast. :rolleyes:

Good luck ....and Welcome. :ROFLMAO:

#15 · (Edited)
Wisdom to share…

gfb00 does not produce custom decals. If quality decals are not available (Patto’s in Australia is a primary source), gfb00 is probably a no go.

He is in high demand and has a huge ebay following and a large repeat customer list … look at his feedback history to see the crazy prices people pay for most of his customs.

He chooses who he works with … he will not deal with high maintenance or demanding customers.

Money is paid after produced (he sends quality pictures to you) and before shipment.

Never cost anything to have a conversation.

All of my gfb00 customs (labeled as customs) are included in this thread among my collection pictures.
Legacy of my 20+ year NASCAR die-cast journey...

Past Bryan Pallerino thread to review.
Anyone know high quality custom diecast makers?

Bryan Pallerino Web-site
Home Page

Bryan produces his own decals … I only utilized him for one die-cast .. required full payment up front from me and took over four months to deliver .. well worth the wait to me. Others have worked with Bryan more than I .. top quality work as well.

Bryan produced decals precisely produced to scale. Donor is a Team Caliber First Choice … only authentically produced raced custom in every detail .. only two images exist of this car … I supplied images and worked with Bryan for a few months to precisely authenticate every detail.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood Car

Team Caliber produced die-cast .. not race authentic.
Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Comparative view.
Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

Both, gfb00 and Pallerino are in high demand … both have other priorities .. they do customs because they enjoy the hobby.

gfb00 is normally responsive .. I have read numerous times over the years BJP may not be as responsive.

Good luck!

#16 ·
@Legacy

Impressive pieces you have there!
Bryan is my current builder of several Elites and I've got zero complaints, that's for sure. Outstanding quality.
My list is long so I was looking for a second builder. I did reach out to gfb00, absolutely stunning work, but the cars I'm looking for do not
have the #3 on them so unfortunately he was apparently uninterested.
I'm somewhat surprised how few of builders there are.
I'll just continue to be happy about when I am getting and go from there.

#17 ·
@Legacy

Impressive pieces you have there!
Bryan is my current builder of several Elites and I've got zero complaints, that's for sure. Outstanding quality.
My list is long so I was looking for a second builder. I did reach out to gfb00, absolutely stunning work, but the cars I'm looking for do not
have the #3 on them so unfortunately he was apparently uninterested.
I'm somewhat surprised how few of builders there are.
I'll just continue to be happy about when I am getting and go from there.
Has absolutely nothing to do with #3 ....gfb00 has plenty of demand for his time and has plenty of assets to decide what he want's to do and who he wants to work with ... if at all. His ebaY business alone has generated plenty of business for decades. He used to sell three customs a week (average selling price @ $300 - $500 ... you can do the math) ..now down to 1 ... some weeks none. At 68 years of age ... grandchildren to enjoy ... he is enjoying the fruits of his labor so to speak.

He has done as many Kenseth customs for me and many other Kenseth collectors over the years as well. My demand for customs are over .... I think he appreciated I would make it worth his while to make around 10 customs at a time which is more efficient for him. He used to share his Flickr albums which had thousands of customs he has done over the years for countless customers. He even keeps a file of his repeat customers...including pictures and historical records of pricing and cost ...he knows his business.

To give perspective, gfb00's historical spend for Patto's decals alone for his customs was approaching $10k / year. (@25/sheet = 400 decal sheets / year is insane) In spite of his annual spend, Patto's wasn't willing to fix scaling issues on many of his decals sheets .. which required more work and more cost for quality if even possible. Sign of the times unfortunately.

Following his ebaY auctions for decades I always found it interesting how gfb00 highest demand was for his early NASCAR customs .... which require dramatically less work to produce (single paint color throughout and minimal decals) ...people used to consistently pay over a grand for anything with the #43 on the roof and doors ... insane demand.

I always enjoyed visiting the following modeling website over the years. Wish I had the time, talent, and patience to enjoy the hobby as much as these guys do ... some beautiful modeling work.

Randy Ayers' Nascar Modeling Center

I appreciate the quality you want ... hopefully Bryan, at 46 years of age (per the internet), can help you out the next decade or so. Good luck! (y)

#19 ·
Curious how you would be able to prove your statement?

I have suspected this behavior from many sellers for years; however, never knew any way to prove my perception. I have seen seller's re-list their auctions immediately after running up the price. Assume the seller's gets a refund for their 10% selling fees representing a nonpaying bidder? I honestly do not know.

I have never seen gfb00 re-list an auction after it was sold on ebaY. I have seen him offer a second chance to lower bidders and sell them the same custom (he produced another) a few times through his feedback history years ago when it was more transparent. Many seller's that participate in shill bidding also make their auction listing private to mitigate seeing the bidders user id code or feedback count of the bidders. gfb00 has never listed his auction as private.

Regardless, it always amazes me why bidders would ever be motivated to bid before auction end to mitigate the risk of shill bidding exposure and facilitate driving up the price. I utilize Auction Sniper (automated bidding service) if I can't bid at auction end .. an extra 1.5% fee of the winning bid is worth it to me. I bid my top price at auction end ...win some and lose some. All part of the auction game.

Example:

I have collected Dale Sr. authentically autographed die-cast for over 25 years and was watching this auction (linked below). Three bidders participated in this auction .... the bidder with a 5236 feedback score posted 5 bids well before auction end and the bidder who won the auction bid 29 times (YES, 29 TIMES!!! :oops:) throughout the auction. I have to wonder what the auction price would have been if the bidder who bid five times (three bids above market in my opinion) would have sniped bid at the end of the auction. I'm guessing the winning bid may have been closer to $250 vs. $430 with snipe bidding.

1997 Dale Earnhardt Sr Autographed #3 Goodwrench Service Plus Elite Signed W/Coa | eBay

Just like a poker match, never show your cards until all bets are called. (y)

#20 ·
Hi Diecast Crazy Custom 1/24 fans,

Reading about the custom makers on Ebay, lots of talent, and lots of great diecast out there!

Pallerino and GFB00 have made some great diecast customs, since they started back in the 2000 era, and more recently, my own decal line was produced and refined and now can say that Retro Racing Design is available for decal purchase.
My past customer was Gerald, since he made a lot of customs, he purchased many of my decals.
Negotiations were that if I didn't have a decal he purchased elsewhere.

He currently is not making as many diecast and does not use my decals now and has found other suppliers that make a similar product.

Lots of interest in Custom made diecast of Nascar and other racing series,
my name should be out there to spark interest in finding a supplier of artwork that is here in the USA and while Patto's and Winscals as well as many name brands on popular websites have the market share,
Retro Racing Design has been producing decals for many custom racing diecast
1/24 on auctions.

If you are in need of a custom and would like to check out my gallery of past work, visit this site.

Want to purchase some decals for an IROC custom? Go here!

Retro Racing Design Retro Racing Replicas

IROC Decals of mine Customs by Gerald

These are mainly the older line of decals or the 1.0 versions,
My artwork is more accurate than in the past, so 2.0 versions are now created.

thanks for checking!

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.