Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following cards are near mint or better, well-centered, sharp corners, very nice cards.

1) 1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor RC BV $20
2) 1982 Topps Ronnie Lot RC BV $20
3) 1984 Topps John Elway RC BV $80
4) 1987 Topps Jim Kelly RC BV $10

ALL of these for $70 cash. Is that a good deal in your opinion?

P.S. - I forgot to mention that I threw in a Carson Plamer 2003 Fleer RC BV $5 also.

·
Registered
335 Posts
dodger,
i have to change my answer. i just saw the kelly was a 1987. shoot, i have 3 boxes of 1987 football never opened. i couldn't get 5 dollars for a kelly rookie. the only card which would carry any value here is the elway. and it's not a $70.00 card anymore. unopened boxes are good values, but individual cards are a tough sell.
i wouldn't go higher than $50.00. and that's if i wanted all 4 cards. and i'd only want the elway anyway.
actually, i have unopened boxes of years in football from 82 through 89.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kwik, I appreciate your opinion. I thought I would get more responses to this post. Maybe I should clarify. I was the seller in this transaction. I tried to give this guy the best deal I could since he was interested in several RCs and he still wanted me to throw in a '83 Topps Marcus Allen RC & '86 Topps Reggie White RC. Those Hall of Famer Rookies from the early 80s don't come cheaply to me and are hard to replace in my inventory. I just don't know why people think just because my shop is inside a Flea Market, my cards were given to me. If I had found them on the side of the road, I could afford to sell them for next to nothing. Due to his rude and pushy attitude insisting that I give him a deal, I hope he never returns. His kids came up and asked him for $2 and he said "It depends on how much of my money this card guy gets as to whether you will be able to eat or not." I kid you not. He thought that was funny. I almost put the cards back in my showcase and asked him to leave after that. He was just yet another jerk that expected me to lose money on my cards so he could re-sell them for profit. I'm sure that was his intentions. He even told me that he already had all those anyway. I've seen him around at shows and flea markets before. I don't know of any shops that you can walk into and buy a sharp Elway RC for $50. They usually run $40 or more on eBay, then you are taking a chance as always with eBay. I guess I just miss the days when real collectors recognized a deal and appreciated it instead of re-sellers badgering you endlessly to sell them a quality card for nothing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
dodger

I thought you gave the guy a great deal, just on the Elway alone. I feel the Lott and Taylor are underrated. I think the Kelly has chance to increase in value in the 3-5 years despite the fact they made so many. The guy got a good deal. He shouldn't be complaining, or collecting if that's the way he treats his kids.

·
Registered
335 Posts
for me it was a tough call dodger. around here football, basketball or hockey, just doesn't sell, i've tried. i couldn't get $5.00 for a reggie white rookie, if i got a call at all. same with m. allen. baseball is hard enough to sell. so i had to look at it from that standpoint. like you said, the cards get a better price on ebay, and i'd have to sell my boxes on there. but i don't belong to ebay now.. i've offered up 1987 boxes of football wax for $30.00 here, and not received a single call. money is also tight here. that's why there aren't any hobby shops around. closest diecast is dover, same as the card store. the flea market shop here i haven't seen in 4 years, but it is just a small area he rents for like 20 dollars a weekend. people i've asked say he sells almost all new boxes, except some old baseball singles. and some supplies, like holders, etc. nothing like your talking about. when i was last there, there were 4 guys, including the guy running the place sitting around a table playing poker. funny thing was, 2 of the guys both had owned a shop here in town in the 90's, and gone out of business.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I feel for you. I had a diecast shop, where I rented space in an antique and collectible mall. Down the street was a smoke shop where the guy sold lottery, cigerettes, snuff, magazines etc. along with NASCAR stuff (die-cast and hats and jackets).
Then there was also to GM Dealers that sold die-cast, but of course, only GM stuff.
I would have guys come in and see the high priced collectible stuff and say they could get the same thing at K-Mart or Wal-Mart for way less money, or they would say, I've had that on order from Spanky (the smoke shop) for two months and you have it, or you are way cheaper than Spanky or whoever they bought from, or I want that and Spanky doesn't have it, or I want that etc., then leave and walk by the door ten minutes later with three or four cars in a bag that I know they paid way more than I charged for them. I was asking around $50.00 to $55.00 for new cars then, and he was asking $65.00 - $70.00 and the two GM Dealers were asking around $80.00.
Plus as I said, I offered hard to find proven collectible cars and they didn't. They had two or three year old leftovers they were still asking $65.00 for and they still out sold me.
Sometimes you just have to wonder what these people are thinking.
Like I said, I feel for you brother. Hang in there.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FFighter_21 said:
I feel for you. I had a diecast shop, where I rented space in an antique and collectible mall. Down the street was a smoke shop where the guy sold lottery, cigerettes, snuff, magazines etc. along with NASCAR stuff (die-cast and hats and jackets). I offered hard to find proven collectible cars and they didn't. They had two or three year old leftovers they were still asking $65.00 for and they still out sold me.
Sometimes you just have to wonder what these people are thinking.Like I said, I feel for you brother. Hang in there.
I appreciate it. I know it is mostly due to the type of "collectors" (and I use that term very loosely) that the Mini Mall/Flea Market attracts. It is still frustrating though. I have a similiar situation. The guy that has a booth across from my shop sells antiques. Most of his stuff he stores in his barn. He doesn't bother to clean it. He just brings it in, filthy and dusty, puts it in his booth and slaps a price on it. He also has a few albums of cards (minor stars and a few inserts) that he has priced at $1 each or .50 each. People will go through his albums and buy what is essentially commons for $1 each. The same people won't even look at my shop. They just walk right by. My buddy and fellow TCL member, The Bish, has a theory about this. He says that people at the Flea Market look at my shop and see a lot of well organized well displayed items. They know that I know my business and understand what I am doing. Then they see this other guy's junk pile with a few albums of cards piled on top and think that he doesn't know what he has so they will get a steal. It makes sense.

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
I think he got a good deal, I see the guys that come into your shop, boy they are some humdingers at times.

·
TCL Original
7,021 Posts
I've seen pictures of some of the guys that go in your shop, Dodger and all I can say is you should raise your standards. I know they've got money, but that red-headed guy just looks sneaky as hell.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Believe said:
I've seen pictures of some of the guys that go in your shop, Dodger and all I can say is you should raise your standards. I know they've got money, but that red-headed guy just looks sneaky as hell.
He is the worst one! There is another guy that comes with him a lot, he is a rough character also. :rofl:

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
DodgerBlue said:
Believe said:
He is the worst one! There is another guy that comes with him a lot, he is a rough character also. :rofl:
Yeah, I don't see how you put up with them 2. :thumbup:

·
Registered
335 Posts
wish i was retired and could get benefits like some people my age. i'd open a full time shop and do it right.
i'd thought about the flea market, but the people here are much like dodger said. they are a pretty rough bunch who won't go to a decent looking place. they look for the guy with the conglomoration and think he has the best deal. and sometimes they do. something they have no clue about for a dollar.. we have an outdoor flea market in town. no one sells cards, the heat and sun would ruin them. but, i've gone down there alot to look. it's a different clientel. a friend set up to sell some things. she had a necklace she'd got from macy's. just put 2 dollars on it to sell it. and a lady offered her .75 cents. my friend just laughed and said no. some people offered her 25 and 50 cents on items marked a dollar. she got really fed up.
we need a good card shop. but, the ones that have opened i felt always did it wrong, and people here aren't spending money on collectables. i advertise for free every week in the newspaper. and have items on display in our printing business. i rarely get a call unless i'm almost giving it away, which i quit doing. my time is worth more on somethings than the price i can get. every now and then a customer buying printing will buy something for their kids. that's it.
you got me lookin last night though dodger, i found kely, and white rookies i didn't know i had. i thru away alot of that stuff. actually about 50000 cards in the trash. a complete unopened case of 88 donruss rack packs in the trash last year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts