Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to know how to make some custom diecasts for some time now. There are plenty of cars that have never been released by Action, or if they were, weren't satisfactory in my opinion. However, I have never done a custom before and don't really want to do trial and error without some instruction first. I'm very detailed and I would want my customs to look legit. Can anyone steer me in the right direction.

·
CraZyGordoManiac
1,351 Posts
I wonder if the guy who did that video ever figured out that he put the headlights on the wrong sides lol

·
Just CraZy
20,749 Posts
I wonder if the guy who did that video ever figured out that he put the headlights on the wrong sides lol
Thats actually a member of this board. Lmfao

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hey constructive criticism for his next build lol
I actually built five more of those trucks for Holman's team after someone saw the video, and yeah, I fixed the headlights. I don't know what I was thinking the first time through.

Reactions: ConstructionBoy

·
CraZyGordoManiac
1,351 Posts
I actually built five more of those trucks for Holman's team after someone saw the video, and yeah, I fixed the headlights. I don't know what I was thinking the first time through.
That's good lol. At least you realized the mistake and fixed it.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Awesome video. Makes me want to give it a shot.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There's also a second video that wraps up some other stuff

Reactions: windyman56

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
The biggest thing that I can express to those that want to do customs...Take your time and don't give up/ I actually enjoy doing customs. Their fun because it's something that I made.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, another question I have....What if I simply want to remove and replace decals with stripping the paint? Is this possible? For example, many Jeff Gordon cars released from 1998-2001 had unsatisfactory number decals on the doors in my opinion. The "24" on the driver's and passenger's door weren't really accurate to how the actual car looked. They finally fixed it in 2002. But I'd love to get some of those cars from those years and just do that without stripping all of the paint.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yet another question I have regards the number decals on the roof on cars that have working roof flaps. For example, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the 2008 Kyle Busch M&Ms diecast, his first year with JGR. The diecast that year had the silver number decals on it, which I think were the original plan for the paint scheme, but they soon changed it to just a white "18" and it's been the same ever since. That was arguably the best year of his career, and I'd love to take those silver decals off and put some white ones on instead. But, how would put those on the roof around the roof flaps?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Honestly, I scrap it and glue down the roof flaps when I make a car that has them, I don't trust myself to make precise enough cuts.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Any other good sources for decals besides pattos?

G

·
Yet another question I have regards the number decals on the roof on cars that have working roof flaps. For example, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the 2008 Kyle Busch M&Ms diecast, his first year with JGR. The diecast that year had the silver number decals on it, which I think were the original plan for the paint scheme, but they soon changed it to just a white "18" and it's been the same ever since. That was arguably the best year of his career, and I'd love to take those silver decals off and put some white ones on instead. But, how would put those on the roof around the roof flaps?
An exacto knife with a brand new sharp blade and decal solvent are what you'll need. Apply the decals and brush some decal solvent over the decals on the roof flaps. Once dry cut around the roof flaps. Then apply more of the decal solvent and let it dry.

Honestly, I scrap it and glue down the roof flaps when I make a car that has them, I don't trust myself to make precise enough cuts.
Facepalm. :banghead:

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,087 Posts
personally...I apply the roof decals, apply a second set, lay down several coats of future finish clearcoat, then carefully trim around the flaps. Once I've separated them from the roof, I take the flaps out then trim TIGHT TO THE ROOF OPENING AND ROOF FLAPS, THEN REINSTALL THE FLAPS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts