Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a huge collection of cars in their original boxes, never opened, good condition that fell into my hands. I was trying to start seeing if there was any value and thought I could get a good start here if anybody would be so kind as to help me out. The list is massive, so it's in a long PDF (almost 700 cars).

Again, any help with how to go about selling/valuing these as they take up A LOT of space in my house currently...

Much appreciated & happy to chat directly if anyone can help out.

JB

Attachments

·
Mark Martin CraZy
682 Posts
Welcome, and that is a huge collection. I've been on both sides of these efforts. Selling collections piece-by-piece.... and by "lot." I've also bought entire collections, and of course... piece-by-piece. There are pros and cons to moving a collection of this size by either of those two approaches. It just depends on which you value most... your time, or the items. I'm afraid you're looking at a ton of research (and guessing, to some degree) to price each item. eBay sold prices for exact item matches is a good method to base an individual price on.

Alternatively, if you sell it as a lot, the price per piece will be much less, but so will be your investment in time and effort. There are buyers for entire collections out there, but be prepared to be insulted by some offers. But it's one sale, one transaction, done.

Some people also take offers for individual sales... then sell the remaining lot. It might get better money for the ones that do sell, but the remaining lot is then less attractive since the more desirable items have already been sold.

You can also group multiple items (x cars per lot) in an effort to minimize the number of potential transactions. Even still, that's a bunch of transactions.

Good luck. You've got a good start with a detailed inventory. That will come in handy regardless of how you proceed.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I just started liquidating my 600+ 1/18 scale diecast collection, and you are in for a very frustrating process.

I started by listing some of the Nascar models here, and sold a few. I then put some on eBay and sold a few more for only slightly more than it cost me to ship them.

Finally, one of the eBay buyers asked me how many more I had, and we cut a deal. I ended up selling him 201 more 1/18 scale models for the cost of shipping them.

Here's my thread if you haven't found it here yet: How to ship 200+ 1/18 scale Nascar diecast | Diecast Crazy Forums

Good Luck!

·
Sunday Money
2,115 Posts
Need to downsize and plan to donate over 50 die-casts to Toys for Tots this Christmas. Tax Deduction is less taxing than trying to sell in the dismal market these days. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, what a list! I'm sure there are a few 1:24 I'd be interested in, but I have no idea how you will want to price them yet. I'm strictly in the "under $20 each" crowd. Most of them will be more than that I'm sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts