Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
I was just down there today for my Spanish class. I don't take 35W because of the construction but rather I take University Ave to the 10th Street bridge which is the bridge right next to it where all the emergency vehicles are now stationed. While I was crossing 35 on University this morning I glanced down at the bridge to see how the construction progress is going and here I am 12hrs after I drove by there and now it's completely destroyed. I am still in deep shock that the bridge I stared at this morning while checking on construction updates is gone. It's going to take me a few days until it really sinks in that it is THAT bridge that is gone. I always feel bad when stories like this happen but when it hits so close to home and the fact that I drove right above it this morning and now it's gone makes it even harder. The entire city of Minneapolis is pretty much shut down for the next few weeks I imagine as it will take years to recover from this. I saw an interview with one of the MNDOT guys and they said it could take as long as 2 years before the bridge is back up and running. Thankfully I don't know of anyone who was on the bridge but one of our neighbors had a friend who was on it when it started to go and he sped up and barely made it across in time. There's also stories on the Minnesota Wild message board about a guy who's dad forgot his laptop and went back to his office to get it and went he walked out he saw the bridge falling. If he hadn't forgotten the laptop he would have been on that bridge. It's going to be like 9/11 with the stories of people who had unexpected delays and thus caused them to not be on the bridge when they normally would have. I don't know what else I can say other than I'm still in shock this happened :(

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I read about this on here last night just before shutting down the computer. Sat in bad anw watched the news about it for well over an hour. The report from the news last night was seven dead 60 injured. Thanks goodness it's not any worse than that so far but then again who knows what is to be found for the next few days. Sad story indeed. Glad to hear you saw it and now it's gone instead of you actually being on it there JJ!!!

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
we had a lot of coverage over here sorry to hear that there's going to be more than the 4 confirmed dead its bad enough for the 4 families concerned

glad to hear you re OK jj reminds me of the Manchester bombing we were due in the city on that morning but went the day before instead you never know how lucky you can be till something like this happens

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
If anyone has been watching CNN today they have interviewed the Engebretsen family and we used to live just down the street from them. In 1992 we moved to our current house but we moved only a mile from the old one so we are still pretty close to them. We haven't really talked to them in a few years so we don't have a real close relationship with them. Well anyway their mother is still missing and right now it looks like she most likely drowned. The one daughter is a few years younger than me and we went to high school together. I can't even imagine what she must be going through right now knowing that her mother is among the missing and is most likely buried somewhere in the river. I also noticed in the interview one of the girls had an Augsburg shirt on so for the hell of it I looked her up in the directory at my college and sure enough the youngest one goes to the same school I'm at. I never knew that till now.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Well they have released the names of the 4 confirmed fatalities and Sherry Engebretsen is one of the 4. I just feel terrible for her 2 daughter right now. The youngest daughter, Jessica, is an incoming freshmen at Augsburg this fall. This afternoon the college sent out e-mails to all of us notifying us that her family was in fact involved in the tragedy. I don't even know nor do I want to know how Jessica is dealing with this just a month before she makes that big transition from high school to college.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Its really sad reading all of these stories. You never know whats going to happen or what small task could save your life from taking up some time.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
We were going to be going out there last week when we were on vacation to see some family. But we didn't cause they came to see us in Chicago.
How sad !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts