Diecast Crazy Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Found another one. This is another simple promo for the 100th anniversary of Thomas & Betts Steel City product line of in-wall electrical boxes and fitments. The vast majority of new homes in the USA had these up until the time that cheap Chinese copies started flooding the market. Thomas & Betts is a division of a larger company now.

Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Hood

Wheel Vehicle Car Hood Tire

Vehicle White Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Now I'm on the look-out for a needle in a haystack. I just recently learned of a promotional model for Kirby / Berkshire Hathaway from 2003 that used this casting. It would be a trifecta for me since it is the Golden Wheel 3601 casting, a company promo AND a number I don't yet have in the collection. (89) I saw images on Worthpoint which only made my interest in it stronger.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Santa brought another Golden Wheel #3601 Promo for Christmas this year!

This was produced by RMK for the Carolina Independent Automobile Dealers Association convention about 8 years ago. (The trade organization for used car dealers.) There are so many logos on the car that the left and right sides don't match and the roof number got crowded. Somehow a mid-1990's race car for a mid-2010's used car dealer convention sounds appropriate to me...

Another unique car for the wall!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Toy

Land vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Vehicle Hood Toy Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
This H. E. Williams (the lighting company, not the rest stops) Golden Wheel #3601 promo just arrived. Talk about an identity crisis! The old 1990's Monte Carlo casting is masquerading as a Ford Fusion.

This 3rd party promo is interesting. The 21 on the sides refers to the company's founding in 1921. They also totally forgot to add a number to the roof! I'm not sure how the Richard Petty Driving Experience got tied up with this one, but their logo appears on the car and on the flimsy cardboard box. The box does not have a window, but it does have the standard vacuum formed plastic liner to hold the card.

Another unique one to go up on the wall!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Wheel Vehicle Tire Hood Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive parking light

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting Toy

Eyewear Packaging and labeling Carton Font Rectangle

Rectangle Font Triangle Tints and shades Electric blue

Packaging and labeling Audio equipment Material property Box Carton

All 18 Golden Wheel #3601 Monte Carlos on the wall together.

Wheel Tire Rectangle Automotive tire Magenta

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The latest arrival is number 19 for this casting. This is a Dollar Tree in-store item using the Golden Wheel 3601 casting. It is the bank version with the slot over the rear bumper. This has the high quality factory applied graphics as was done on the three Menard's cars.

I have been after this one for 14 months or more. The seller finally lowered the price down into my range after some back-and-forth. It was listed all of that time on eBay under the Banks category rather than in diecast, so a lot of potential buyers never noticed it. As soon as I bought this one, the seller listed another identical one in its place. Who knows how many they actually have.

Scratch one off of the long term want list. Naturally, it is already up on the wall! ;)

Vehicle Tire Wheel Car Hood

Tire Vehicle Car Hood Wheel

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Toy Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hat

· Mark Martin CraZy
717 Posts
Interesting, as I'd never heard of Golden Wheels prior to your posts. As a graphic designer, I pay more attention to the artwork than anyone really should... and I actually find some of these promos to be entertaining to assess. I can't tell for sure, given the angle of the photos, but it looks like the word SUPER on the driver's side b-pillar of the Eddie Winner Pepsi car is different than the passenger side. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... they're still fun to review. Thanks for posting.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Vehicle Sleeve Automotive exterior Automotive tire Font

Attachments

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Interesting, as I'd never heard of Golden Wheels prior to your posts. As a graphic designer, I pay more attention to the artwork than anyone really should... and I actually find some of these promos to be entertaining to assess. I can't tell for sure, given the angle of the photos, but it looks like the word SUPER on the driver's side b-pillar of the Eddie Winner Pepsi car is different than the passenger side. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... they're still fun to review. Thanks for posting.
View attachment 739043 View attachment 739045
I can see the same difference on both the white Pepsi car and the silver Pepsi car, so it was definitely in the graphics they were applying. As a long term diecast collector, I tend to notice little things like that too.

I was a product design and manufacturing methods engineer for over 40 years before recently retiring into teaching CAD classes. I can look at a casting and easily visualize the dies that made it, the problems producing it, and the revisions made during the production run. Little differences catch my eye immediately. It comes from years of training...

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Just received the car that was on top of my wanted list. This is the Golden Wheel 1/24 #89 Monte Carlo what was given out at the 2003 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting. It checks off three of my main wants in one car:

1. It's a Golden Wheel Monte Carlo.
2. It is a private issue promo car.
3. It is one of the missing racing numbers in my collection.

Hat Trick!

Now I only need to find five racing numbers at an affordable price: #62, #65, #69, #73, #86
Car Vehicle Hood Toy Automotive design

Vehicle Car Wheel Kit car Racing

Vehicle Car Hood Yellow Automotive design

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Hood

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Motor vehicle

21 - 29 of 29 Posts