Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to "Tradin' Paint" on Sirius Nascar Radio today and they were saying Nascar is supposed to make a decision and may be a announcement Monday on making it mandatory to be at least 21 years old to drive a cup car.

This could put a few drivers out of the loop. We will have to wait and see if it comes about.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I would expect them to grandfather any drivers already driving in the series. I don't think they would make a rule and say-- ok, you can't drive anymore now because you're not old enough.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Kyle Busch didn't get grandfathered in after making some Truck races in 2000 at the age of 16. NASCAR upped the age to 18 the next year. Busch had to wait before he could return.
Is there anyone in the Cup Series right now that's in violation (if it were to happen)? I can't think of anyone.

·
Gimme more Budweiser!!
241 Posts
To my knowledge, the only returning Cup driver under 21 is Sorenson, and he turns 21 the first week of February I believe. Of anyone about to "break" into Cup racing, this would affect only Joey Saldano, who would give the NWO Hendrick drivers a run for their money. By changing the minimun age for Cup to 21, it would force Joe Gibbs to sign him to a Nationwide Series/Truck Series (is it still Craftsman) contract only, and he would have to wait until he was 21 to sign for a Cup ride. Its only going to delay the inevitable, Joey is going to dominate the Cup series. He is so much like Tony, if it has wheels and an engine he can drive it!!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
How old is Coleman?

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Says 19 years old on Coleman's website. He's signed up for the Busch Series with Baker-Curb (formerly Brewco) for this year. Didn't hear anything about the Cup series for him.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I was just curious, as if things go well for him, he would prolly want to move up next year, and if they pass it, he will have to wait until the year after next.

·
Gimme more Budweiser!!
241 Posts
Thanks for the correction. Typing one thing and thinking another is NOT a good thing. Glad I can't type and drive at the same time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts