Diecast Crazy Forums banner

My Bristol experience at the track and in the pits

781 views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  greenie9374 
#1 ·
Well a couple people have already beat me to the punch but i wanted to throw my two cents in...

Ridgewood barbecue- this place was awesome. Its just ten minutes from the track to try some of the best barbecue youl ever taste. We shared a bleu cheese bowl and french fries and it was great. Something so simple that tastes so good. The fries were handcut, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The pulled pork sandwich i had was epic. Its what hasade them famous. Barbecue was sweet and tender. Couldnt finish it, i had the other half later. Its not much to look at, but i promise if you stop, youl love it. I just recommend going at a midafternoon time, bc theres not much parking and it was packed even then.

Vendors- there was a lot of good deals out there on 394. I wasnt in the market for buying much, but i did get a few things. Picked up brad k's godadddy 88 for $60. Saw his navy salute the troops for $50. Countless $30-$50 deals. Found a bristol trailer parked outside the south entrancr selling overstocked old diecast. Got factory sealed 09 kenseth r&l for $20. 09 gordon youth nat guard rfo (dont know the finish and lost the box)-$30. Fiund a few diecast for $15 each. Jr born on date, harvick honey reeses, harvick take 5. Its def worth checking out. There are vendors on 394, and in the campground across the street.

Driver experiences---

Dale jr- never seen him sign so much. He was great carried a silver marker most of the weekend (he switched to black mid saturday). Means a lot to those of us who are sick of getting his crappy black autos on our windshields. All my jr signatires came out good, except the one in black. He signed a ton in the pits and then signed outside the tunnel friday for everyone there.

Jeff Gordon- probably the best signer in there this weekend. Always walked slow, and would stop when he got to his hauler and get everyone he missed. Sigmed countless pgotos. I know he stopped signing the unlicensed ones on safurday, but he was still awesome.

Tony Stewart- i know he gets irritated, but for the most part tony exceede my expectations. I got him probly 5-6 times. I heard him give people crap a few times but that was mainly because they were being impatient or over tje top. If you hold out something thats his, hel reach for it first. Cant blame him for that

Jimmie johnson - very similar to jeff. Same old jimmie.

Danica patrick - she was awful. Signed, but kept a fast pace and took her time signing. I only got her once, i was one on one. I handed her a #10 diecast. She grabbed it, gave me a look, (like a, have i seen you before? look) , looked down, looked back up again, then sigmed the car. This was all while i was walking with her for about 20-30 paces. It took my father awhile to get her. She only signed a few in her walk up pit road and hust looked pissy to anyone who approached her. Imo, if i didnt have a diecast, i wouldnt have wasted my time. Iv never seen her like that. I could see if i was throwing photo after photo after photo, but i wasnt. All i had was two diecasts, my dad got one and i got the other. Theyre $65 a piece, just shutup and sign them. I was really surprised she acted like she wadms above everyone. Like how dare we ask you for an autograph...

Kyle Busch- i was a big kyle fan until this weekend. very similar to danica. I had three diecasts to get signed between my father and i. I got two, and he got one. Both times i got kyle one on one and his facial expression said it all. He would frown, exhale, and shake his head. Both times. Then violently grab the car, sign it angrily andshove it back toyou. Kyle, you lost a fan today, a fan whos spent a lot of money on you in the last few years. Im sure you dont care, but you should. None of his antics ever bugged me. I even rnjoyedost of them. But to treat your fans like that is ridiculous. Say wat you want about tony, at least hesigns things people spend their hard earned money on, and without an attitude if you plays by his rules. Kyle was awful. Worst signer this weekend. From now on i will not root for him, i was glad he crashed today. Btw kyle, you looked like a tool wearing your monster winter hat in 70 degree weather.

The best- jr, gordon, johnson, kenseth, edwards
The worst- danica, kyle busch

See less See more
#3 ·
Being in the military I've had the pleasure of being in the garage/pits a number of times. I've taken hundreds of great pictures & even got my picture taken with a few drivers. I've only gotten a few autographs. I'm not really much into autographs. Most of the NASCAR driver autographs I've seen are so illegible that if you didn't tell me who it was I wouldn't know. I could scribble on a diecast or card & say it's anybody. Plus, I can't see lugging a bag of stuff around all day.

As far as driver behavior goes I can see both the driver & fan POV. I've seen drivers who are very fan friendly & those who are not, as described above Kyle Busch & Danica Patrick being a few of them. A big part of me believes that they should be fan friendly & sign everything, but another part of me understands why they don't. I've seen fans shove 2-3 diecast at a time in front of a driver, along with pictures. Guys carrying a box of stuff around....multiple diecasts & pictures of the same driver. You know they intend to sell them for a profit, at least the majority of them are. If not e-bay would not be full of autographed cars. I can understand a driver being frustrated by the same person asking for 2-3 of the same item to be autographed. I've seen it happen numerous times. Also, I think some people forget that these guys are working in the garage area. Hanging out on pit road before a race is one thing, but the garage during practice, qualifying, etc they're essentially at work.

Just my 2 cents!

#4 ·
]Kyle, you lost a fan today, a fan whos spent a lot of money on you in the last few years...From now on i will not root for him, i was glad he crashed today.
If you have any unsigned cars of his you're looking to get rid of send me a list. Sounds like overall you had a great weekend though!

#9 ·
Ahahahahaha This post is epic! Especially the monster beanie in 70 degree weather. Thanks for giving us a head up on these people even though I could care less about either. Kyle Busch fans are loyal, very loyal. After hearing you talk about how rude he is and watching him intentionally wreck other drivers for several years... I could never be a fan.

#10 ·
Overall it sounds like you had a good time. That sucks that Kyle and Danica were not freindly. I've only met Kyle once and he was nice. He didn't go out of his way to be friendly but he was pleasant. I'm hoping to meet Danica on Friday and I hope she isn't rude to my son. My 9 year old is in love with her and it would break his heart if she's mean to him.

#11 ·
Overall it sounds like you had a good time. That sucks that Kyle and Danica were not freindly. I've only met Kyle once and he was nice. He didn't go out of his way to be friendly but he was pleasant. I'm hoping to meet Danica on Friday and I hope she isn't rude to my son. My 9 year old is in love with her and it would break his heart if she's mean to him.
Im sure she would be nice to a kid. I think her acting this way was because she felt everyone there was trying to get her autograph and turn it to a profit. I just talked with my dad and he said she did the same thing with him. Gave him a good 5 second stare down before she signed his car. I usually dont care how drivers react, as long as they sign my stuff, but she just acted like a b**** both days. If i went up multiple times, i would understand, but not once, and certainly not with an expensive piece of merchandise in that setting. But with a kid i think shed be great. Hope he gets to meet her.

#12 ·
Im sure she would be nice to a kid. I think her acting this way was because she felt everyone there was trying to get her autograph and turn it to a profit. I just talked with my dad and he said she did the same thing with him. Gave him a good 5 second stare down before she signed his car. I usually dont care how drivers react, as long as they sign my stuff, but she just acted like a b**** both days. If i went up multiple times, i would understand, but not once, and certainly not with an expensive piece of merchandise in that setting. But with a kid i think shed be great. Hope he gets to meet her.
Thanks! My son is ready! He has her shirt already and this weekend he bought her lanyard and sunglasses at Walmart. lol He wants her to sign his lanyard and a hero card. Every driver we've ever met has been super nice to him so hopefully she doesn't disappoint him. =)

#13 ·
Thanks! My son is ready! He has her shirt already and this weekend he bought her lanyard and sunglasses at Walmart. lol He wants her to sign his lanyard and a hero card. Every driver we've ever met has been super nice to him so hopefully she doesn't disappoint him. =)

she'll be nice to him dont worry! cant see danica thinking a child is getting stuff signed to stick on fleabay!

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Im not at all a kyle or danica fan but you better beleive i will share this with my over 3,500 nascar club we have here in arizona.. Nevada fans better get with it. Would sure like to see his lose his ride to.......
Seriously? Some people.. :no:

---------

It sounds like you had a good time other than Danica/Kyle. I can understand your point about spending your money on them, but they are also there to do their job. I'm not defending them - I'm sure someone will say they are - but people have bad days. But, glad to see you had a good time otherwise.

she'll be nice to him dont worry! cant see danica thinking a child is getting stuff signed to stick on fleabay!
You'd actually be surprised. As a pro-wrestling fan, I have seen many parents drag their kids to locations where wrestlers hang out, tell them to shove a photo in their face, at about 1AM.. because.. who suspects a kid.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
On saturday Danica did a Q and A. I wasn't there but my buddy was and told me how nice she was to this one 4 year old girl. It's a Q and A, so the girl's question was will you sign my hat and give me a hug.

So Danica climbed down off the stage, and went over and sure enough hugged the little girl and signed her hat.

I am by no means a Danica fan, but if you had the number of people she does pawing at you every weekend for a picture or an autograph. Especially in the pits, when shes trying to work, what do you expect.

#18 ·
On saturday Danica did a Q and A. I wasn't there but my buddy was and told me how nice she was to this one 4 year old girl. It's a Q and A, so the girl's question was will you sign hat and give me a hug.

So Danica climbed down off the stage, and went over and sure enough hugged the little girl an signed her hat.

I am by no means a Danica fan, but if you had the number of people she does pawing at you every weekend for a picture or an autograph. Especially in the pits, when shes trying to work, what do you expect.
i hear you dave, but i got her when she leaving for the day. good to hear she was nice to the kids tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.