Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I have a leftover diecast and I do not have one I would like to have. The ideal attempt to try my luck at making a custom I´d say.

Here´s some pictures:

I did not have a dremel at hand so I had to improvise a bit with the tools I had available.

but about half an hour after opening the box things looked like above

I forgot to take pictures of a few steps but since the diecast had some minor surface pits I first sanded the whole diecast with a 240 grit paper untill the original paint was gone and the model almost smooth and cleaned with soap.

Then I sprayed a primer/filler on there, sanded untill the primer was almost completely translucent, primered/fillered again and sanded with a 600 grit paper until the surface was nice and even. The biggest advantage of this primer is that it cures in about 10 minutes and can be sanded until perfectly smooth.

Then I sprayed the inside and taped that off. After taping off I sprayed a semi-flat black on there.

For good measure I let this cure, then sanded untill the black became slightly translucent and sprayed a last layer of black on there.

After reviewing I still have to sand the trunk and one of the roof flaps and repaint them because of some unevenness in the paint layer.

Currently the car looks like this (after removing the masking tape)

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! You guys are fast!

I just posted this.
Anyways, thnx for the kind and encouraging words.

I ordered decals for this one already, and they do not read furniture row.

These are the decals I ordered:

Yes, I know the chassis I am using is a 2007, but the 2004 Action chassis isn´t quite accurate so it might just fit. Anyways, I´m going to try and see what happens

·
Black #3 Fan
2,881 Posts
you seem to be on the right track friend and remember if you get stuck on something we have plenty of members that are willing to share their knowledge with you

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[MENTION=1151]vic[/MENTION], thnx for the kind words of encouragement.

As it seems I picked a full wrap style set of decals as my first attempt at making a custom, and from what I read here those can be a real PITA.

Also, I am not entirely certain on whether going with a coat of black was the right thing to do.

I think it will work out though, as the decals I picked first do a full wrap with some white areas, and has a 2nd layer of decals to go on the white areas.

I guess that means I will just have to take my time getting the wrap right, let that dry overnight and then add the 2nd layer of decals on top of that and let that dry at least 24 hours as well before even thinking of clearcoating the car.

Also, for clearcoat I guess the right way to go about that would be to use 2-3 layers building up a full coat, but going light on the very first layer?

·
Black #3 Fan
2,881 Posts
[MENTION=1151]vic[/MENTION], thnx for the kind words of encouragement.

As it seems I picked a full wrap style set of decals as my first attempt at making a custom, and from what I read here those can be a real PITA.

Also, I am not entirely certain on whether going with a coat of black was the right thing to do.

I think it will work out though, as the decals I picked first do a full wrap with some white areas, and has a 2nd layer of decals to go on the white areas.

I guess that means I will just have to take my time getting the wrap right, let that dry overnight and then add the 2nd layer of decals on top of that and let that dry at least 24 hours as well before even thinking of clearcoating the car.

Also, for clearcoat I guess the right way to go about that would be to use 2-3 layers building up a full coat, but going light on the very first layer?
There are guys here such as [MENTION=175]NEW2[/MENTION] [MENTION=2131]nascarmcjr[/MENTION] that can probably give you better advice than me as I have never done a wrap around. I think that there was another post on that same subject. Noramally, I apply my clear coat in stages as you are planning to do. Good luck friend and keep this thread updated with the various stages of completion.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Cant wait to see the end result. Actually look pretty fun. May have to attempt one of these customs myself. (Just to appreciate the talent that other members on here have)

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Better than I could ever do, looks great!!! Keep it up!

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will update this post as soon as more gets done.
I just ordered the decals yesterday so I will have to wait for them to get here.

Then I´ll start putting decals on and if I do not forget, take picture of the process.

·
Prototype CraZy!
3,082 Posts
Looking good so far, nice scheme pick also.

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big LOL at the expense of my custom.

The decals arrived today.

I ordered them in the US because it´s pretty difficult to get hold of them elsewhere.

The Decal sheet reads "PowerSlide: Printed in Italy"

So basically these were printed in Italy, shipped to the US, bought by me and shipped back to Europe. The logics behind logistics keep baffling me.

Now all I need is a few quiet hours to start fitting and placing the decals. It´s pretty much a full wrap.

·
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde
2,462 Posts
so far it looks very good, can not wait to see it completed

·
CraZy about 1:87
749 Posts
Looks like you're off to a great start, can't wait to see how it comes out!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Looks great! I can't wait to see how it comes out! I'm actually getting ready to attempt my first custom!

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: My first attempt at making a custom (Harvick KISS)

Update:

I started placing decals.

My new best friends are Microscale Sol and Set

I brightened up some of the bright areas under the decals before I started placing the decals.

This is after 3 hours of placing decals

I had some difficulty fitting the side due to the sheer size and the fact that the decals are actually for a different cup body. The differences are minimal though.

The main difference:
-wheelbase got slightly shorter for the 2006/2007 body
-overall length increased slightly
-hood is different
-cowl area is slightly smaller on the 2006/2007 body
-nose cone is different, but I think more accurate the the 2003-2005 nose cone

The last picture shows the state of affairs after 6 hours.
I still have the drivers side to do

Then clear coat after everything set and cured.

·
I love lamp
2,328 Posts
Looks good. Looks like a a lot of work as well. When you paint those do you paint over the exsiting paint or do you sand it off?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts