Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR has approved Penske Racing's request to transfer the owner points from Kurt Busch to Sam Hornish Jr., a move that locks the three-time IndyCar Series champion into the first five races of next season.

Hornish publicly thanked Busch for giving him the points at the Penske holiday party on Friday night. Bud Denker, senior vice president of Penske Corp., confirmed Saturday that the team would swap the points with NASCAR's approval.

Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, said the sanctioning body had signed off on the transfer.

``This would obviously help Sam as he prepares to run the first five races instead of prepares to qualify for the first five races,'' Denker said. ``With a champion like Kurt Busch and the opportunity to utilize (the points), anyone would be foolish to not take care of the situation.''

Hornish, a former Indianapolis 500 winner, is leaving that series for NASCAR next season. But his No. 77 Dodge won't be one of the 35 cars locked into the first five races of the year. As the 2004 series champion, Busch has a provisional position that he could fall back on should he fail to qualify on speed.

Penske said last month that he had not decided if he would give Hornish the points Busch earned because the focus was not on the first month of the season.

``This isn't all about the first five races,'' Penske said at Phoenix International Raceway. ``This is about a long career for a great race car driver and someone who has delivered for us for a long time at Penske Racing.''

But not taking the points put Hornish at risk of not making early races, and a failure to qualify could cripple his first full Sprint Cup season. Of the five new teams that started last season outside of the top 35, all missed early races, fell into a deep hole and never recovered.

This swap will prevent that for Hornish, who failed to make the first six races he attempted to qualify for last season. He finally made it into the field at Phoenix and Homestead, Fla., and finished 30 and 37th in his only two starts.

Locking him into the field will give Hornish an edge on former open-wheel drivers Jacques Villeneuve and Patrick Carpentier, who will not be in cars guaranteed a starting spot. Reigning IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti, however, will enter the series locked into the top 35.

I believe that this could cause other problems down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
In a way I'm surprised NASCAR allowed it. It was obvious what there intent was, to by-pass a rookie being out of the top 35. Yet there are a bunch of teams out there who would kill to be in the top 35 and NASCAR gave Hornish a free-pass by allowing this. Granted this was legal since there's nothing in the rules about it but I'm not sure I like this move.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
You watch, Hornish will be outside of the top 35 in points by New Hampshire and Penske will lobby NASCAR to have Busch and Hornish switch points again.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
This is such bullshit. This is what Nascar has become. I doubt very seriously if I watch more then 1 or 2 races next year.

I can't believe the other team owners haven't pitch a bitch about this.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
BadBowtie said:
This is such bullshit. This is what Nascar has become. I doubt very seriously if I watch more then 1 or 2 races next year.

I can't believe the other team owners haven't pitch a bitch about this.
i agree it is crap but why should the other owners bitch about it when they know they can use it to their advantage as well.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what im afraid of. now that one team has done it, watch for it again in the coming years with teams that have a past championship. i also think that this move, if Hornish were to qualify 44th or worse, now screws the guy that would have "qualified" for 43rd, and just make the race, out of what would have been his earned spot.

i mean dont get me wrong, it is a smart move on Penskes part but a dumb move for Nascar to allow it. But also they have done it once already the year with DEI, why not do it again?

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
That's right I totally forgot about the DEI situation with Paul Menard getting the points from Ginn. I remember hearing rumors that Petty Enterprises was going to do the same thing if Kyle were to fall out of the top 35 at the end of the season and put Bobby in the 45 car as he is a past champion as well. I thought the top 35 rule was to help the smaller teams have a shot at making races. Allowing Penske to swap owner points to get his 3rd car in the first 5 races contradicts the very reason the top 35 rule was intiated.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
JJ48Fan said:
I thought the top 35 rule was to help the smaller teams have a shot at making races.
LOL! Yeah right... it's a way to SCREW the smaller teams, not help them. It was put into place to make sure full-time teams made every race. Well, now that you have 50 full-time teams, the rule has outlived itself (all 15 minutes of usefulness). This rule makes it nearly impossible for a new team to become competitive (i.e. MWR, Red Bull Racing). After two years of following MMM with Wimmer and Ward Burton, I hate this rule with a passion. The 43 fastest cars should be racing and that's it.

Also, I don't see any point to see Busch "screwed". It's not his fault that Penske made the switch. I don't see it being a problem though. Busch is a good qualifier and a good racer. I'll just laugh when Hornish falls out of the top 35.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
taterracing said:
JJ48Fan said:
I thought the top 35 rule was to help the smaller teams have a shot at making races.
LOL! Yeah right... it's a way to SCREW the smaller teams, not help them. It was put into place to make sure full-time teams made every race. Well, now that you have 50 full-time teams, the rule has outlived itself (all 15 minutes of usefulness). This rule makes it nearly impossible for a new team to become competitive (i.e. MWR, Red Bull Racing). After two years of following MMM with Wimmer and Ward Burton, I hate this rule with a passion. The 43 fastest cars should be racing and that's it.

Also, I don't see any point to see Busch "screwed". It's not his fault that Penske made the switch. I don't see it being a problem though. Busch is a good qualifier and a good racer. I'll just laugh when Hornish falls out of the top 35.
I Can't Argue That One, It IS COMPLETE BS!!! Let the top 43 fight for the right to race!!! Give up on the top 35 rule, it gives the underdogs no chance!!!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
harley2001 said:
I say good luck to Sam. Because it looks like this could send Newman packing! Good old Roger needs some help.
Why do you say this looks like it may send Ryan packing? Was he outside the top 35 also, and they didn't do it for him? Just curious what you mean.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
his contract will be running out soon and Hornish is probably his replacement
FFighter_21 said:
harley2001 said:
I say good luck to Sam. Because it looks like this could send Newman packing! Good old Roger needs some help.
Why do you say this looks like it may send Ryan packing? Was he outside the top 35 also, and they didn't do it for him? Just curious what you mean.
his contract will be running out soon and Hornish is probably his replacement

·
Registered
266 Posts
All this crap is done by design.What THIS HAS DONE IS PAVE THE WAY FOR NASCAR FRANCHISES. You know like the nfl teams.There wont be no little guy trying to make the race anymore there will be 35-43 franchise teams guranteed a spot in the race!Money talks bullshit walks!And the top 35 teams rule will be out the window just watch in the coming years.WE are in the incubation stage why you think all the indy boys are running over to nascar!And danica patrick will be in nascar by 2009 you will see!And we will see when this franchise crap takes hold how many drivers nascar will let have in the franchise probaly 2 drivers per franchise.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
What it all comes down to now is Money!!! Franchises, is Exactly correct!!!! It is said to say, but the NEW SIDE OF NASCAR, is what will happen!!! Jr. goes to the EVIL SIDE, GORDON, JOHNSON!!! Next, we see Stewart go to ???????????? But it will be a Chevy Car, Thankfully!!!!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
When Stewart goes to RCR, (IF and when) it will be the NASCAR version of the MLB, Yankees vs. Red Sox. With Hendricks Super Team, and then the Addition of Tony to RCR would definately rank them as a Super Team, then Roush, I guess you could call them the Mets? LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts