Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NASCAR is considering creating a reward for the winner of the ``regular season'' in response to the huge points lead Jeff Gordon built before the Chase for the championship.

NASCAR chairman Brian France said earlier this week he is willing to explore the idea of rewarding the driver who is leading the points at the end of the 26th race of the season. Gordon built a lead of more than 300 points, but lost all of it when the field was reset this week for the Chase for the championship.

Gordon will start the Chase in second place based on the new seeding process. Jimmie Johnson, his teammate, is the new leader based on his six regular season victories.

Gordon said Friday that he doesn't feel slighted, but would like to see NASCAR address it going forward.

``If I didn't know what the rules were going into the season, I'd say we got the shaft. But that's not the case,'' Gordon said. ``Ever since they've had the Chase, they've said what it is. But I do think they're going to have to revisit now, going back.

``If you're going to have incentives for guys to win races, you have to have some kind of incentive for a guy to go out there and be the points leader at that point. I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit that a little bit.''

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said Friday that the sanctioning body will discuss the issue during the offseason. Among the ideas being kicked around are awarding additional bonus points to be used in the seeding, more prize money or a trophy different from the Nextel Cup.

``I think there's some merit to what ``Four-Time'' is saying,'' Hunter said. ``We've already had some conversations and it will be a hot topic this winter.''

France has been unafraid to tweak the Chase format, which he developed before the 2004 season. The original version saw the top 10 drivers after 26 races, and any driver within 400 points of the leader, advance to a 10-race title hunt.

But he widened the field to 12 this season, eliminated the 400-point qualifier and implemented a seeding system that awarded bonus points for wins. Gordon had four of them, good enough for second place in the initial seedings. He trails Johnson by 20 points.

Johnson, meanwhile, leads 12th-place driver Clint Bowyer by 60 points based on his wins.

Jeff Burton, who is starting the Chase in 10th, could sympathize for Gordon but said it's dangerous to continue tweaking the system.

``Everybody knew going in what the points were and that there's been a cry in the public and in the media about wins being more important than just finishing fifth,'' he said. ``That's what this point structure does. It's an example of `Be careful of what you ask for.'

``It's been a constant cry in the garage from fans and media about wins should mean more. Now they do, now the guy that led the points pretty much the whole time is second. There's always the other side of things.''

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you know what this is really starting to piss me off. if they are going to do this, why not just go back to the original format and let it be a free for all. i have always said that if the driver earns his points then they should keep them. no have someone that has "just got by" to be able to get the championship because he was 10th in points. everyone knows i dont like Jeff, it is no secret, but if he earned all of those points those should be his. i have tallied up the points every year to see if who won should have won and it has been right every year so far. now i think that nascar is affraid that Jeff might not have enough to win the season and now they are affraid to take that down from him since he "had" a 300 point lead. you never know with the way thing are now Burton might come up from behind and win it. Nascar needs to leave it the hell alone before they ruin it worse than what they have done. i think they just didnt think far enough in advance on this one and now they are re-thinking it and need to add even more rules until they will have it that who ever is in the lead before the chase, they just outright get the trophy because that is how it seems they are tryin to do anyway.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
Joker quote
i have tallied up the points every year to see if who won should have won and it has been right every year so far.

Actually, first year of the chase, under the old points system Jeff would have won. Kurt Bush won by 8 over JJ and 16(?) over 24 that year. Had they not redid the points Jeff would have won the title.

Just to make it clear, Jeff is not complaining, this is a change being pushed by others who understand how hard it is to do what the 24 did, and (although this is the exact scenario the chase was implimented to fix) do not feel it is entirely fair to just sweep his dominant season accomplishment away like it never existed.

Personally I do not care, this is the same bs every year. First ten guys, then 12, then 10 points for a win, now probably some points to the leader. Every year they do something. The new system is stupid, the newer system will be more stupid. Personally, everyone I think it takes away from the championship accomplishment if the leader does not win. A driver gets on a little hot streak for a few races, and thanks to NASCAR erasing the points he is now champion.
Woopee.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i forgot about the first season but i didnt start watching till the 2005 season. for the last 2 years they have been the rightful champion, but i do remember now going back and seeing where Gordon got screwed out of the first chase championship. but yea every year they are going to change a rule and soon enough they are gonna puss up this sport like they did with the NFL and all of their rule changes.

and i never said that Jeff was complaining, it stated that in the article. its just like you said though all it takes is one driver get a hot streak and its over for the rest. Bowyer could all of a sudden get hot and hadnt had the first win all season.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
I know you didn't say it, I just wanted to point it out because there are so many people that would read that, and just start going off on Jeff for being a crybaby or something.

I wouldnt even go so far as to say he got "screwed", he knew the rules and it worked against him, oh well.
I do think it sucks that it works against him again this year, but what can ya do?

Would suck extra more if the only two times in the 15 years that I have been watching that the guy who scored the most points in a season and did not win the championship was Gordon.

For those keeping track, and they are there, this would be Gordon's 6th Championship under the old system. All things being the same as when Sr. raced, Gordon would now have more wins, and only 1 less championship. Meaningless, but interesting for those who like that kind of thing!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Well I think they should reward the points leader if they are going to reset the points. I think this adding up to 12 though is getting kinda out of hand. They should just leave it one way or another.

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
I think it is a good idea, it lends some credibility to being the leader throughout the regular season, otherwise, why even bother because it is meaningless.

12 is too many, 10 is even too many in my view. You are rewarding mediocrity by letting guys 500 and 600 points out of the lead back in the chase.

With ten races to go, anyone 500 points or closer, reset, 10 points for each 100 the leader has, 10 points for a win, and lets get it on.

If there is noone within 500 points of the learder? game over.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
This whole thing started because robot boy (Kenseth) ran away with his Championship and there was no drama. Then, the point leader WAS rewarded by leading all chasers because he had the most points when they reset the system, but they didn't like it because the guy who had the most wins may not have been the points leader so he wasn't rewarded enough. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and they're still not happy. So I think we should have three points systems running simultaneously, crown three champions, plus let the fans vote one in, and then everyone will be happy!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts