Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to know if you think the regular MA version is better that the GM dealer version. i am leaning toward the GM dealer version due to it being a low production numbered car.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
demondecko said:
There is no difference besides the chassis being black on the GM is there?
if that is the case, then i will definately go with the GM dealers version. i would like a few more opinions though.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
As far as I know, that is the only difference. Unlike the Action pieces that were numbered, total production 20,000 for example, and then broken down as 2,000 QVC etc., there were still 20,000 made, so if you thought you had a neat piece cause you got it from QVC, you still had a 1 of 20,000 piece.
Now on the other hand, where Action makes say 20,000, but the GM Dealers cars are black chassis-ed and only say 1,000 made, you really do have a low production piece as there are really only 1,000 made w/a black chassis. In my mind, that is what makes a collectible, low production, and the GM cars are really low production. I feel the same way about Club Cars and c/w/b's. They are different and lower production, so in my mind they are more collectible. But for some reason, some people don't like the GM cars, but no one can tell me why.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
Ron as far as I know the only difference is the chasis color and the production run. I haven't noticed if they have carried anymore value over the normal MA ones or not. Best I can say if you go after the Dealers try ebay first. Most dealers charge $10 or more per car. When my dad got them from ARC they were usually only a
$10-20 discount.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I agree with most of the above where I haven't seen any difference in quality between the two, but in most cases I actually prefer the ARC standard piece because that seems to be the most collectible. I think that's because a lot of people don't know about the GM Dealer's cars. One of my local dealer's (race shops) has actually been able to get some cars in the Dealer's versions when he was unable to get the ARC/MA pieces, so I picked those up instead.

There were also some Dealer's pieces that were issues in liquid color paint (I think in 05, such as the Dave Blaney JD car, Kasey Kahne Mountain Dew, etc.) where the Dealer's piece was actually different than the regular piece.

And then of course, there were cars like the Harvick Fastbreak, that you could only get through the Dealer, and we all know about those.

I actually bought the Dale Jr. Richmond win Dealer car from a seller on Ebay CHEAPER than I could get the ARC piece. So I guess it all just depends. The bottom line is, I guess in most cases, it's a wash, but I think that the most authentic piece is the ARC, because the actual bottom of the race car is grey. I noticed that when I was watching a race and saw a car flipping over (I think it was one of Sadler's restrictor plate races) and noted that the bottom was in fact grey, which is why I prefer the ARC release over the Dealer's version.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
The Harvick Fastbreak wasn't exactly a GM dealers exclusive. It was Hershey's too. For the dealers to get ONE Fastbreak car you had to buy a case of 50 Harvick cars. Other dealer exclusives like the RCR Ann. cars that where done in Colorchrome could be bought outright from the Dealers without a qty. requirement.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
The Harvick Flag car was a GM Dealers only piece, and the Daytona Red was a GM Dealers piece that was originally only available by getting oil changes at a GM Dealership. Then they were avialable for straight purchase at GM Dealers as they apparantly had too many and were not getting enough oil changes to move the cars.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
They get plenty of oil changes. it just depends on the dealers that actually go with the program. The Daytona red was also a last minute deal that almost didn't exist. We would have never known it existed if our ARC rep. wouldn't have called and said they were making it as an exclusive because ARC didn't think it would sell on the market. (Boy were they wrong there). The Flag car was the same way GM paid a lot of money to have those made just for the dealers because ARC refused to make it a production run Harvick car. Hence why GM doesn't do many Dealer exclusives on Gordon diecasts ARC thinks he'll sell 20 times more then any driver so they make everything they can in a normal production run. I remember getting the GM Dealers listings of the cars they were making as exclusives on year and there was 1 Gordon car on the list and like 3 Harvicks why? They can make something more special with him because ARC says he won't sell. Same goes with Johnson and Jr....I know GM wanted to do something with JJ's tribute car for Ricky and everyone else lost in the accident and ARC wouldn't let them because it would "saturate" the market with an "exclusive" car. Difference was GM wanted to only make it so employees could buy the car without intentions to resell for a profit later. Ok enough of my mini book.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
thunder_alley1984 said:
They get plenty of oil changes. it just depends on the dealers that actually go with the program. The Daytona red was also a last minute deal that almost didn't exist. We would have never known it existed if our ARC rep. wouldn't have called and said they were making it as an exclusive because ARC didn't think it would sell on the market. (Boy were they wrong there). The Flag car was the same way GM paid a lot of money to have those made just for the dealers because ARC refused to make it a production run Harvick car. Hence why GM doesn't do many Dealer exclusives on Gordon diecasts ARC thinks he'll sell 20 times more then any driver so they make everything they can in a normal production run. I remember getting the GM Dealers listings of the cars they were making as exclusives on year and there was 1 Gordon car on the list and like 3 Harvicks why? They can make something more special with him because ARC says he won't sell. Same goes with Johnson and Jr....I know GM wanted to do something with JJ's tribute car for Ricky and everyone else lost in the accident and ARC wouldn't let them because it would "saturate" the market with an "exclusive" car. Difference was GM wanted to only make it so employees could buy the car without intentions to resell for a profit later. Ok enough of my mini book.
I know they get enough oil changes, but it was a factor of they needed a coupon, and the car was still $50.00-$55.00 even after the oil change if I remember right, Throw in the fact that not everybody is a NASCAR fan or a Kevin Harvick fan and they apparantly didn't move enough, so they made them available outright.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
I member when I would go to the dealership and hang out 90% of the oil changes were people 70 and above or 16 year old girls who saw a Chevy dealership and didn't know they could get the same thing done at Wally world lol (but who would want to let some kid use a impact on their drain plug because it was "handy").

1 - 11 of 11 Posts