Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 22 years old and I will be interviewing for a job that will hopefully start my career in the business side of the aerospace and defense industry. I received a phone call the other day from this company. The recruiter said that someone that I know from the company, said that I would be interested in working for them, and that they had an opening that would fit me well. I was also asked how soon I would be able to start, and my salary expectations. The recruiter also told me about the great benefits that the company offers (which I already was aware of), and that their company seemed like a great fit for me.

However, I am struggling with preparation for this interview. My last job interview, I prepared for a traditional interview, and that was the exact opposite of what took place. That interview was completely scenario questions, and it caught me completely off guard. This upcoming interview will be my 3rd professional job interview. What would be the best way to prepare, to make sure that I am not caught off guard?

·
Look Who's Back!!
2,265 Posts
I would probably prepare myself for a little of both. There will be some small talk, talk about you and your background, where you went to school, etc... Then there will probably be the typical how you would handle this situation, what would you do if, kind of stuff.

·
CraZy Senior
6,544 Posts
You obviously have the background that employer is looking for in technical ability and skill sets. I would expect to see more questions directed towards problem solving, conflict resolution, teamwork and especially a willingness to learn new skills. Always keep an open mind to new ideas. Don't be a "yes man" but show that you are flexible.

I have almost 11 years across 8 different positions with the same fortune top 50 company and it's been the same every time I've made a change.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I need to be preparing some answers for those types of questions then. I'm really putting a lot of pressure on myself. Here's the situation: The guy that referred me, is CFO of the entire company. I've known him for most of my life, and since September of last year, he 's been telling me he was going to get me on at his Company. About a month ago he came up to me at a friend's wedding and told me that I had an opportunity, and to 'not screw it up' in his words. I'm some-what thinking I already have the position, but I don't want to go in there acting like I already have it. I'm really excited/anxious, but nervous at the same time. If I don't get this, I'm really going to feel let down.

The recruiter that called me was really pitching the company towards me, and when she asked me to come in, she said...we just want you to come in so we can meet you face to face. She gave me her direct number and told me to call her at any time if I had any questions. She also told me that it might take a little bit before I start, because papers have to go through all of the right hands. I basically just don't know how to feel about this lol

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Don't convince yourself you "Have" the position, and go in thinking you have to earn it. That's what i'd do.:biggrin:

·
Somewhere Far Beyond...
2,377 Posts
I find it best not to 'over prepare.' You know, concentrate so much on what you 'think' it will be that you ignore what else it might be. The other thing is just to try to be relaxed and calm. Don't psych yourself out. Interviewers can smell fear.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm probably just going to get my girlfriend to help me prepare as far as being comfortable answering questions. I'll try my best not to focus on the 'what ifs'. We'll see how it goes!

·
Prototype CraZy!
3,082 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm probably just going to get my girlfriend to help me prepare as far as being comfortable answering questions. I'll try my best not to focus on the 'what ifs'. We'll see how it goes!
Good luck on the interview!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the interview went well. I definitely over-prepared for the interview..seeing as how I was only asked 2 questions. She asked "Tell me about yourself," and "What were your favorite and least favorite classes in college?" She then explained to me what I would be doing in this job, and talked about the benefits, vacation, etc. She then told me if I had any questions to ask. I asked several questions. As the interview was wrapping up, she gave me her card and told me, if I haven' heard from her within a week or so, to just give her a call. She walked me out, and as we were walking out, she asked about my computer skills, which I have plenty experience. I take it that the interview went well, I hope it works out!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got called in for a 2nd interview, which is tomorrow. The person that interviewed me, highly recommended to the finance department manager, and he wants to meet me to talk about the position. He already said that I'd be taking over for a go that is moving up. He also said that I would work under him until he transitions up, then I'd take over. Fingers crossed!!!

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
good luck. Remember the words which every employer likes to hear. Initiative and teamwork.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts