Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who didn't know, I retired from the Navy in 2003 after 20 years. Four months later, I was hired by a government contractor, and have worked there since certifiying ships in Naval Gunfire. In summary, what I do is go out to sea for two-three days and observe US Navy ships shoot their 5 inch guns at computer generated (simulated) land targets and grade them. The entire purpose of the exercise is to determine if they can do it for real so if they have to pull up to the coastline and support Marines, Army, or any other ground units, they can do it safely, accurately, and timely.

Next month, I will be transitioning to a Government Service job. I was officially hired last week. Although I will actually be taking a pay cut, the biggest benefit is that I will no longer be going to sea. (I figure 29 years of riding ships is enough.) I will actually only be moving down the hall from my old job, and my new job title will be the curriculum manager for all the US Navy's Naval Gunfire Support(actually the new term is Naval Surface Fire Support, but I'm old school) courses. In other words, I am now responsible for the courses that train the ships prior to their certifications. The guy who had the job I am taking was there for 22 years and retired in December, and as a contractor I worked with him, so it will be an easy transition, and I have been wanting this job for a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
[MENTION=24]kspool[/MENTION] congrats on the new job Karl hope it goes well for you

·
#BadMofo
15,981 Posts
Congrats Karl! Thanks for your service as well!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Congrats on the job and being able to retire from the sea, although I bet every once in a while you want to go back out to sea.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
8,707 Posts
awesome my friend.

·
I love lamp
2,328 Posts
Congrats on getting off the boat and to a desk. Enjoy your new job, It sounds like an important role.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Congrats, sounds like fun!

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like an interesting new challenge, but quite building on what you have done before.

Should be a smooth transition indeed :yes:

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Congrats Karl! Seems like a fun job!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts