Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen (Knockout Qualifying) tonight live for the 1st time and i am not impressed it seems to me like its just a glorified practice session. Opinions??

·
Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Its alright, its definitely more entertaining than old qualifying imo. There are times I like it and other times when I think it is totally stupid like how they sit at the final session until the absolute last second. But Keselowski said something tonight that I thought was spot on; that in the old format if you drew out first to go out you were totally screwed and in the new format it gives everyone a fair shot. For that, I think its much better.

Reactions: dpalmer681

·
The #OUTLAW
161 Posts
definately an improvement. Fairer to everyone. Plus you have more strategy then just go out and run a lap. Timing, location of cars, how early or late in the session do you go out, do you try and wait for cloud cover , can i use a teammate to help me. Im on the bubble, should i go and make another run. I honestly love it. The strategy that plays into it and the constant threat of being "Knocked out" of the round.

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
IMO it sucks. If not broken don't fix.
But it was broken, that's the thing. As BK said, first guys out always got screwed usually. This allows some fairness to teams being able to go out as they wish on same track within minutes of each other; the other could be over hour between first and last easily.

Hell the track changed a huge amount in temp in 30 minutes yesterday, so just goes to show you this is a little more fair.

·
Do people read these?
6,452 Posts
I like it. It's ALOT more fun to watch. One thing I'd like to see change is the drivers fastest times carried over to the next session. I don't like the fact that you can get the track record but not the pole.

·
Premium Member
12,378 Posts
But it was broken, that's the thing. As BK said, first guys out always got screwed usually. This allows some fairness to teams being able to go out as they wish on same track within minutes of each other; the other could be over hour between first and last easily.

Hell the track changed a huge amount in temp in 30 minutes yesterday, so just goes to show you this is a little more fair.
That's another opinion but when on the last segment everybody waits and only does 1 lap what's the difference. You never let me down b/c whenever I post you always there.:muted:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I hate it, it promotes sandbagging and trickery instead of raw speed for one lap. If you like contrived drama I can see where you would like it better, guess I am just old school. Last night was the perfect example, likely the fastest car (Harvick) screwed up strategy and didn't even make a run that counted.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I think it is a huge improvement. As for having the track record and not having pole, isn't a new thing. In the days of two rounds of qualifying it was entirely possible for the guy in second round of qualifying to get a track record. I believe Brett Bodine did it at Indy one year. I don't view it as a gimmick, but as an improvement for the entertainment value that sports are in general.

·
The Busch Wacker
9,096 Posts
It would be more Interesting if they did 36-43 by speed instead of OP. For example JJ and BLaney would be in the show. #31 Ryan Newman #32 who ever would be sent home.

·
Impartially partial
9,047 Posts
I'm still not crazy about it. I think that drivers should be allowed to use their fastest lap of the entire session. Let's say Gordon runs a 27.98 in round 1, a 27.72 in round 2, and a 28.01 in round 3. He should be able to use his fastest lap, which would've been in round 2.

I don't like seeing drivers win the pole after running a slower lap than someone else did in the previous round.

·
R.I.P Justin Wilson
13,983 Posts
I'm still not crazy about it. I think that drivers should be allowed to use their fastest lap of the entire session. Let's say Gordon runs a 27.98 in round 1, a 27.72 in round 2, and a 28.01 in round 3. He should be able to use his fastest lap, which would've been in round 2.

I don't like seeing drivers win the pole after running a slower lap than someone else did in the previous round.
I definitely understand where you're coming from, but there's no easy fix that I can think of. What if the fastest lap all session is run in the first round, but that driver then fails to make round three? Then the pole winner has a sower lap than someone, but you can't deny them pole because someone who couldn't make it past round two ran faster.

·
Impartially partial
9,047 Posts
I definitely understand where you're coming from, but there's no easy fix that I can think of. What if the fastest lap all session is run in the first round, but that driver then fails to make round three? Then the pole winner has a sower lap than someone, but you can't deny them pole because someone who couldn't make it past round two ran faster.
It could work like this. The first 12 would line up based on their best lap times from all 3 rounds. 13th-24th would be based on lap times in rounds 1 and 2. Then anything from 25th on back is lined up according to how they ran in round 1.

·
Closeted Logano Fan
23,969 Posts
It could be better, but it's certainly a lot better than how it was before. My only suggestion would be to make the final segment just a bit longer. Some people didn't even get their laps in at some tracks.

·
Banned
10,517 Posts
It could be better, but it's certainly a lot better than how it was before. My only suggestion would be to make the final segment just a bit longer. Some people didn't even get their laps in at some tracks.
5 mins is too short like harvick and kenseth last night i think harvick was 100 yards to short because the red and black flag come out to start his lap

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
5 mins is too short like harvick and kenseth last night i think harvick was 100 yards to short because the red and black flag come out to start his lap
How is it too short? less then 30 second lap times gives atleast 8 laps to get in a flying lap....yeah that's plenty long enough with only 12 cars. Those 2 guys messed up and judged their time wrong to get a clean run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts