Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
100% Boycott on all MA WC NASCAR products on the pegs. It is all crap and I refuse to order more. Same cars, different trinkets. When my WC RC stuff is gone that is it. Buy them if you want but so be it. I REFUSE TO BE HELD HOSTAGE!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Like I said in another post, I think MA is killing off the retail store line, everything is so slow getting to the pegs, and not to mention the fewer drivers and schemes in stores.
I think they want everyone to buy the overpriced Drivers Select and Pit Stop stuff. :rollseyes:

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
I can get the Driver's Select here for $9.99, which I don't think is overpriced at all. I guess it depends on the mark up from your individual dealer and how much profit they want to make. The Pit Stops go for about the same price as a WC, but I have seen some of the online retailers sell them for about $9-10 and sell the DS for about $15. If you shop around, you can get decent prices, but I guess it's all about availability. On MA's site (goracing.com), you can buy the DS for $10.50 and the PS for $6.50.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Boycotting MA seriously crossed my mind last night after finding out that not only the Elvis/Reeses car will not not be produced but the Harvick Reeses COT will not be either. Fact is I am almost to the point of ready to quit collecting. I was so PO'd last night I tossed and turned thinking about this whole issue. First thing this morning I got in touch with my local dealer and ask him how to get in touch with our regional sales Rep. believe it or not 30 minutes later I had him and MA head office on the phone at the same time!! I talked them for the better part of twenty minutes. Of course the same old same old started up but I was quick to stop that and turn the conversation more into the direction I wanted to take it. I flat told them that in the day of computer that it was flat out stupid the way that the marketing at MA was heading. I told them both that whom ever is in charge of marketing should be fired. Well lo and behold this is where the news took an intresting twist. I was told that phone calls are not sent to him and emails were only read at best on a limited basis but a letter is a documentation and it could be passed on to others for further review. I was then given this. Please send any letters and comments to:
Motorsports Authentics
c/o Marketing Attention: Zack Grove
6301 Performance Drive
Concord, N.C. 28027

The bad part of this conversation was that they had each heard my complaints before and at this point were looking into the situation but no changes have been made so far. I remarked that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the over saturation point is for a paticular driver. We the collectors and fans aren't intrested in 10 different scales and types of diecast. We are for the most part not that intrested in all the different fantasy cars. We want diecast in the 1/64th and 1/24th scale that are as close to authentic as possible. If they want to make the high in scale fanatsy gold and platnium cars or color chrome or what ever else they want to produce then fine. But limit them. one or two per upper end drivers and then work more toward producing diecast for all the market. They know they can sell a bunch of Gordon, Stewart, Earnhardt Jr. and SR. so on and so forth but what about the collectors that like say Wimmer, Blaney, Riggs, etc. etc. If they would limit the amount of fantasy and reduce the amount of trinket B.S. then they could produce some of the lower end drivers and boost there fan base. So what if they sell out that would be a good thing for the collector. then those cars would hold value. If they sell out on a first run increase the # produced by a hundred or so until they find about what the market needs. This would take care of two major problems in the diecast/MA hobby. One would be regain fan base through diecast and second would limit the amount of overstock that MA has has left on the shelf. Both the sales Rep. and the man I was talking to at MA agreed with what I was saying and ask me to please get any and all diecast collectors to send them a sincere letter of concern or comments to be reviewed. I agreed and this is where I am with it now. My letter will be sent out! this is each of yours oppurtunity to speak you voice to MA. For what ever good it does I hope you consider doing this and please. Keep the facts clean and clear. Remeber we the collectors want to be heard, but we also don't want to have these thrown away because of a bunch of childish comments and uneeded remarks.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
It's just cars top some, but to some it's a passion. Talk to anybody who is into collector cars. They are the same way. It's all what you want and feel it to be. Everybody likes it to varying degrees. I am at times the same way, "Fan" is short for fanatical and I know at times I am... I love this hobby and want to see it flourish again, not flounder as it is and eventually die.
Good job Fishin, I will write. If you could, email me a copy of your letter, so I highlight the same things, and make sure we are on the same page w/our requests. Thanks for the address BTW.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
BillFan9 said:
I just don't understand why someone would write to MA just because they are mad that a car wasn't made. The way I look at it if they don't make the car I don't have to spend the money. But thats just me. Personally I don't want another 1998-99 there was just WAY to much stuff produced and it took away the value of the cars. I know people are going to say "I don't collect for the value" and I don't either but it's just like collecting cards it's a cool feeling to know you have a card worth alot. From 1999 alone I have 5 or 6 Bill cars that are the same. Atleast with the trinkets you get something different, thats why I like them.
Value has nothing to do with it. I'm flat out disgusted with MA producing all these fantasy cars, (White Gold, Platinum, color chrome, holiday, ETC ETc the list goes on and on.) They can produce say a Gordon or Jr paint scheme in Winners Circle with 10 trinkets. It's the same thing we have all heard or read a thousand times over. What really gets me is the lack of actual raced run cars. At present there are now at a minimum of 7 different paint schemes that Harvick has run but MA didn't produce. During this same time frame MA has produced five different releases of the Shell paint scheme. They produce a Harvick Reeses car that will never be run on the track, they produce a Shell COT car but aren't going to produce a COT Reeses car. This is where I got really pissed off! I have heard many times that Winners Circle didn't have the tooling to do that diecast, or there wasn't enough demand for that diecast. OK, could live with those so called excuses. My problem is they produce the Shell COT car right. Is there any difference in tooling for the Reeses COT? NO The decals for the Standard REESES car got produced what is so hard about modifying the decals to fit a COT? I just don't get it. Do you buy 1000 diecast a year? Well over the last ten years that is my average. I want all the race run Harvick diecast. I don't want trinkets, I don't want it in five different sizes, I don't want it in Gold or silver or sychodelic orange, Red and Blue Santa Clauses. I just want one diecast to represent each paint scheme run. Like I told the Marketing manager when I talked to him. Hold a White Gold and a Platinum up side by side. Now tell me which one is which without looking at the box or any refrence. Now put them on the track and let them go 200mph. I would buy one then but could you tell me which one was which at 200mph? Bet I could tell which one was a shell car and which one was a Reeses car and which one was a Shell Platinum car!! Get where I'm coming from. Now This, I have a total of 13,000 diecast in my collection! Ask Eric (JOKER20) he has seen about 2/3rds of them at one time or another. Take in consideration that 90% are from Action or MA. That would tally up to about one years salary for that sales Rep. in profits alone! I'm just one customer and one fan! There are literally thousands of collectors out there can they afford to keep Screwing the customer around?? Keep it up and don't listen! I bet they will find out the hard way!!!!!

On a final note about this! Keep in mind I'm just refering to Harvick cars! What about Gordon, Johnson, Stewart, Bill Elliot, Scott Wimmer, Dave Blaney, Get where I'm going with this. We are the collectors!! We are who pays MA their pay checks! We are the ones buying their products. It is time for MA to hear from us if we want to continue collecting the diecast for the driver we pull for. If not why collect???

·
Super Moderator
8,708 Posts
well Larkin, i have 5 1/2 pages of cars that were never made in 1/64 scale and i'm sure there is more that i don't have on the list including all that have been said to be cancelled this year. i will do up a letter and send them that list.

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
Nice read Larkin, I sure hope that the letters help. It has been like this since 2001, since Action took over the crap started. I really liked it when Hasbro was in charge of the WC line. We got a lot more paint schemes for a lot more drivers. Too bad they had to shut down their own forum because they couldn't handle us.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dang there Bill9, you almost sound like a MA rep with your soft supportive rhetoric of what MA is producing. Not trying to be punishing here so please don't be offended. But what MA has done to the hobby direct industry sucks. Yes I know there are dealers out there who raked folks over the coals, but there are also small hobby dealers such as myself who got screwed and in turn got our customers screwed. I could no longer order just what my local collectors wanted, I was obligated to buy a certain amount of every driver, every paint scheme, every scale, plus hats, shirts, jackets etc. whether I could sell locally or not. Now we are stuck with crap that will never sell and out the money to boot. To add insult to injury the mass retail market like Wal Mart now gets these "limited hobby only" cars in a new package and trinket that clearly makes it a 10% change from the hobby only issue so they can sell it without breaking contract at a price about $2.00 less than hobby dealers are charged at wholesale. So I guess I can say to you and all others who will continue to be diecast sheeple eager to buy from the great "Wal" keep on keeping on and enjoy the very wonderful crap you get from these retail giants instead of true collectibles from your small business owners. Until there is a fast drop in profit for them they will neer listen to what the true collector has to say.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
I don't think what most collectors are asking for is too much, simply making as many paint schemes possible in 1/24 and 1/64. I know that not every paint scheme will be made, but it really pisses me off when they say they will make a certain car an then turn around a cancel it when alot of people wanted it. Even thought I would love for them to be made, it doesn't bother me that they aren't making a Stephen Leicht Kentucky win or a Wimmer MLB All Star, I'm actually happy they didn't put it on preorder so they could turn around and cancel it when I had my hopes up. Its pretty bad when someone is happy MA isn't putting a car on preorder cause they expect it to be cancelled. This year my Kahne Winners Circle collection has been put to end, I went from buying about 10 1/64 different Kahnes a year to nothing because they are making the same exact cars with a coin or a pit board or whatever. I have also lost interest in buying 1/24 Kahne special paint schemes, thinking that they will be cancelled or I won't have a chance to get one since the production number is lower. I for one don't care what the car is worth, if I did you think I'd be collecting Wimmer and Nadeau? All I care about is getting the paint schemes for my favorites without being worried they are being cancelled or having to pay a ton and fight for one cause its numbered low.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Billfan, There lies part of the problem and you don't even realise it. I am not trying to offend you or anyone else. Please don't take it that way! Small town dealers need the support! In order for them to keep selling they need to move products to keep there doors open. I would rather pay an extra $5-10 dollars for a 1/24th diecast from my dealer than to buy it off of some ebay person I have no idea who he is. He's not going to let me know when something new comes in, and he surely isn't going to hold an item for me until I can get my money together. My local Dealer will! As for all the other paint schemes, Gold color chrome, holiday ETC. I'm in no way saying don't produce them! I like some of those as well as anyone else. My main problem is they make those but forget about the true collector that just wants to collect the diecast that are seen on the track. Look at Trevors (Selby92) post! Prime example of what we are talking about. I know how many Kahne cars he has bought in the past. He's feed up with the same paint scheme but a trillion different trinkets. Is he buying diecast or trinkets. He stops buying because of this problem. That leaves more extra cars that don't get sold. That inturn leaves MA to make more trinkets to move them. A cycle that needs to be broken. I'm not a dealer, don't own a store, I'm just a collector. But If MA wants my continued business then they better listen to the collector. It is sad to hear so many Mom and Pop Nascar dealers are getting out for the exact reasons that Kimsdad is giving. It's not just a store here and a store there. It's happening all over the country. I hear all the time that WC isn't collectable. Well the fact of the matter is. It's really no better with any of the diecast that are being produced right now. Even the very top end diecast are so over priced and over produced that most will not bring there original value back one or two months later much less a few years down the road. MA is milking the market for everything it can instead of limiting the amount of diecast produced and helping to keep the secondary market alive. Again guys my opinion is my opinion, but each of us has one reason or another for the total mess that the diecast market is in. Send a letter and be heard!!! Let MA look at the response and get the majority vote. If 100 out of 100 agree with you then maybe they will listen. If I'm the only one that feels there is a problem they probably won't listen. We live in a country where it is free to write your opinion down and be heard. If we the diecast collectors aren't heard we can not blame anyone but ourselves when the market finally goes face down....

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I hope I don't offend anybody with this, as I know there are guys on here who sell on the Bay. But in my opinion, EBay is one of the reasons that the hobby went in the crapper.
Guys would buy a bunch of cases of cars and sell them at one to two dollar pofits at "buy it Now", and put the guy who had a shop, or a little EBay shop under.
I know, I had a shop and went down because I couldn't afford to stock bIg amounts of stuff and practically sacrifice the stuff.
I agree, I would pay a little more to a guy I know in my town, than save a few bucks and give it to someone I don't know.
Maybe that's the Union guy in me, but keep your business local and it will come back around to you. That's why I buy and trade w/guys from the boards I frequent because I would rather they get my money than someone I really do not know. If I'm gonna pay, I wanna decide who I pay it to. Hopefully, and usually they do the same to/for me. JMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts