Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, apart from other uncompleted projects, two of which are mammoth sized in time required but miniature sized by means of outer dimensions (see threads below), I decided that it was time for yet another project.

I have this project going,
Scratch built Dirt Late Model Project

at least, whenever I have some time from this project
Hot dam the baby is here

But now, I want to do something quick. And I did mention it a few times, so I decided it's time to show how it's done. The best 1:24 scale blacktop is made out of sandpaper

I made a quick sketch of roughly what I want to build

Unfortunately my phone messed up the orientation on that one. This is going to be a 12"x12"x12" diorama depicting the start/finish line from Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the way it might have looked before the safer barrier was introduced.

9 rows of brick remain.

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This one should make pretty fast progress.

I will illustrate the plans as I go along, but basically:

1) cut out floorplan
2) add barrier concrete section
3) draw out brick section
4) add sand and gravel
5) seal and paint
6) add blacktop
7) paint
8) finish up details and fence

·
Closeted Logano Fan
23,980 Posts
Really anticipating the final result!

Reactions: the solitaire

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I managed to get in 10 minutes of work on this project and got a basic layout

As a true replica the track is way too narrow, so this will be a display piece, loosely inspired by the true Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

And for those who wonder, this is where it is all happening. In between the dog chewies I'm building the scratch built dirt late model as well as this diorama.

I still see the birth of my daughter as a true blessing, even if I lost my hobby room ;)

Reactions: canuck617

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the process of making some bricks

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laying bricks went better then anticipated. I just used a ballpoint and slight pressure to create the structure here, then painted it with acrylic paint.

This is not the definite color, but I need to seal the styrofooam because glue and spraypaint will dissolve the material. The acrylic paint (just a regular indoor decorating paint) seals the surface and I can freely work on it from here on.

The glue (PVA glue) that will be used to attach the sandpaper serving as blacktop later on will bond just fine with the painted surface as well.

·
97-2-22-51-78-41-?
453 Posts
Looking good so far, can't wait to see the end results

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was already upset that I couldn't find the 1/6th" I-beams I ordered for a different project a while back, but some additional research showed that the beams for the safety nets in IMS are actually round.

Work can commence!

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Blacktop is on there.
The supports for the safety net are up.
Next up is the safety net

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I'm filling seams, making sure the sandpaper sits flush with the styrofoam base. Always a bit of a problem,but with plenty of supporting weight and carefully doing things edge by edge it works out in the end.

I also glued some sand on the infield side of the track.

In reality, there is another wall in this space, but the wall would be in the way when making photos, and this should be a photo backdrop after all. So the wall, and with that, another bit of accurate reproduction, will need to go in favor of achieving the goal I'm after.

After all the glueing is done, I will take a brightly colored spraycan to brighten out the wall section. The net will need to be taken down again for that part of the process, but it's only attached with a single thread of wire anyways because of that.

After brightening up the wall section and spraying some context on the brick section I will then start painting the track and bricks, add texture to the wall (some tire rub and erosion) and make the supports for the nets nice and rusty with some zinc/alu paint spots on them.

Might also give the net itself another brushing to make it appear somewhat more irregular for wear.

When all that is done, there will only be a few steps left

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Putting some paint on there

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's amazing how much time one finds while making bottles of baby feed o_O

I managed to put some weathering on the wall section. Maybe a bit too heavy, but it's quite simple to tone this down a bit (feedback appreciated here)

Below you see the tools used to paint effects like these. Next up is the blacktop. Needs some brightening, then some shading and tire rub on it

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It might look to some of you, following my dirt project, that this project takes time away from the other one, but that's not entirely true.

For the dirt project I need to set up the whole soldering rig, which takes time. This one just sits on the kitchen table and whenever I have 5 minutes to spare, I can get a lot done.

The last 10 minutes got me this:

Some rusty poles.

I decided to put in another 5 minutes to attach the safety net...

... only to find out that doing a rush-job I mounted it the wrong way around. I had one side shaded and weathered, and I mounted it with the clean side to the inside instead.

Another 5 minutes later that ugly sheen was gone ;)

·
Team Caliber. "Anything less is just a Toy"
8,730 Posts
:cool::cool:

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok, I snuck in another 10 minutes here

For the tire rub on the blacktop I decided to mask off the brick section.

Not entirely happy yet, but I will have to add a bit more tire rub once the brickwork is painted

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Knowing that in the next few steps these colors will slightly darken, I tried to mix and match colors as close as possible with the Harvick 2005 Brickyard special paint diecast

With this step out of the way, the finish line comes in sight and I can figure out what kind of backdrop to use

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This will probably be the last time that I post crappy cellphone pictures of this project.
Just needs some finishing touches and then it's done and ready to be used for it's intended purpose

Next pictures will then be taken using a real camera and lens

1 - 20 of 20 Posts