Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on removing paint from donor cars? I'm about to attempt my first custom diecast & I've been contimplating how to remove the paint from the donor body.

If anyone has tips &/or tricks I'd appreciate you sharing them. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Aircraft Paint Remover, 18 oz. (KLE EAR322) Fast acting performance of Aircraft. Perfect for smaller panel repairs. Excellent vertical cling. Virtually no odor. More controlled application.

SKU: KLE EAR322: Price: $11.55

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
ditto on aircraft stripper...even takes off the new tougher wraps pretty easily. Comes in fluid form as well. I picked it up at an autoparts store, apparently walmart carries it too.

·
Camaro Crazy
2,691 Posts
Brake fluid is a slow way of removing paint. It leaves the car all greasy afterwards and you need to thoroughly clean it afterwards with lots of water and soap.

I cleaned off paint with brake fluid before and won´t do it again. I would advise the Aircraft cleaner advised above.

I just used a fine grit sandpaper on mine because I didn´t have anything else at hand.

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Here is what I use. Wal-Mart has it for about $6. Caution, I would use rubber gloves when using this stuff, it could cause a skin burn. When I use it, I get the car wet first. Seems to activate it a little more. Spray it on and leave it for about 15 minutes. Then just wash it off. If their is still some paint on the car, do it again. Cas should come clean then. When i'm washing it off, i also scrub it with a SOS pad and that seems to help clean it off.

Happy stripping!!!!!

·
Dboy1974
1,332 Posts
Here is what I use. Wal-Mart has it for about $6. Caution, I would use rubber gloves when using this stuff, it could cause a skin burn. When I use it, I get the car wet first. Seems to activate it a little more. Spray it on and leave it for about 15 minutes. Then just wash it off. If their is still some paint on the car, do it again. Cas should come clean then. When i'm washing it off, i also scrub it with a SOS pad and that seems to help clean it off.

Happy stripping!!!!!
This is the stuff that I use as well. Although, lately it doesn't seem to work as well as it use too. Maybe it's the wraps now a days.

·
Evil Henchman
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot guys. I'm going to look for the aircraft stripper & see how it goes. May grab a can of the stuff from Wal-Mart as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts