·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question, how did nascar qualify befor then>

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
The top 36 drivers qualified on speed with seven drivers filling out the field via provisionals. There were a limited number of times you could use a provisional, but you could earn additional provisionals by qualifying so many times on speed.

It was a nice system. It's a shame NASCAR abandoned it for this terrible system.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Now, that was after NASCAR stopped doing two rounds of qualifying. That was a bit trickier (and costlier).

On Friday, teams would qualify, but only the top 25 positions were locked in. On Saturday, teams not locked into the top 25 fastest had the option to requalify or stand on their time. No matter what your speed, you could not start better than 26th. In 2000, this led to an interesting situation where Brett Bodine set the qualifying record at Indianapolis in second-round qualifying, but started 26th.

If you requalified, you had to abandon your first-round qualifying speed. So if you ran slower in second-round qualifying, you might have been screwed. But that's the gamble you took.

Otherwise, the rules were the same as above.

I think NASCAR got rid of second-round qualifying to begin the 2001 season.

ALSO...

A fun part to second-round qualifying was that if you were the fastest in second-round qualifying for a race, but didn't earn a pole that year, you could enter the qualifiers race for the Busch Clash/Bud Shootout (back when the Shootout actually included pole winners). So the winner of the qualifiers race would advance to the Shootout. That's how Dale Jarrett won the Shootout in 2000 without winning a pole in 1999.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
does anyone remember the "hooligan races" they use to have.. it may have been for the then Busch Series but I remember seeing one when I was at the October race weekend in Charlotte in 1997 and only the winner or to 2 transfered or somthing along those lines

anybody know anything about these? and was it for the busch or cup series? or both?

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
does anyone remember the "hooligan races" they use to have.. it may have been for the then Busch Series but I remember seeing one when I was at the October race weekend in Charlotte in 1997 and only the winner or to 2 transfered or somthing along those lines

anybody know anything about these? and was it for the busch or cup series? or both?
the Busch Series did them at Charlotte and Homestead until the late 90s (at least 1998). I have been searching for information on the 1998 Charlotte races for a few years. There's footage of the Homestead races on YouTube.

·
Somewhere Far Beyond...
2,377 Posts
Just to add to the wierdness of the second round qualifying, I think it was at New Hampshire in one of the last years of 2 rounds that the guy that qualified fastest actually started 26th because he ran that speed on the second day.

·
Danica's #1 Fan
15,845 Posts
I agree. There should be no guaranteed top 35 starting positions. Everyone should have to qualify on speed every race.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
I agree. There should be no guaranteed top 35 starting positions. Everyone should have to qualify on speed every race.
unfortunately this is the wrong time in NASCAR to return to it...the reason they went to locked in points is due to sponsor risk...and with sponsors more and more difficult to secure the sport would be done. They all want a guaranteed return on their investment IE exposure...if a car isn't guaranteed to run, it's a risk some companies aren't willing to take. The sad part of this is a rich get richer scenario...the teams who can afford the top talent also get the biggest and richest sponsors...which means the little guys have little chance of ever growing with the big boys unless they somehow snag a gem in the rough...which again most teams have scouted and procured them already.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also found out why we have the Top 35, In Atlanta in 2004, Scott Wimmer and Scott Riggs failed to qualify and drivers like Tony Raines and Todd Bodine made it with forgetable owners and sponsors and Wimmer and Riggs had Caterpillar and Valvoline respectivly. So to insure the big time sponsors made the show, they instituded the top 35. Unfortunately, it backfired around the 2007-8 years and is ruining some teams.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
unfortunately this is the wrong time in NASCAR to return to it...the reason they went to locked in points is due to sponsor risk...and with sponsors more and more difficult to secure the sport would be done. They all want a guaranteed return on their investment IE exposure...if a car isn't guaranteed to run, it's a risk some companies aren't willing to take. The sad part of this is a rich get richer scenario...the teams who can afford the top talent also get the biggest and richest sponsors...which means the little guys have little chance of ever growing with the big boys unless they somehow snag a gem in the rough...which again most teams have scouted and procured them already.
I disagree with that, the rule was to help teams like MB2 and Bill Davis who had full time sponsors and ran all the races that year yet missed the race in Atlanta due to newer teams being faster and other teams higher in the points needing the Provisionals. Unfortunately back to then team owners got little back in return for their teams if they decided to sell them (Junie Donleavy and Bud Moore come to mind). So now the Owners get a bit more back in return but it hurts newer teams trying to come into the sport and hurts them in trying to find sponsorship since no one wants to sponsor a team that isn't a guarantee (a reason I believe Blaney still doesn't have a full time sponsorship). I think if they went back to the old style qualifying it would help the smaller teams or maybe have a hybrid of the two to where maybe only the top 25 are locked in. The rest though I agree with. The Top 35 is a rich get richer scheme, and even then it all depends on how much the owner wants a sponsor to pay for his drivers (Kenseth this year).

·
Premium Member
14,620 Posts
Well isn't this a catch 22! I don't like the rule but makes sense, my issue is that if your not fast enough to make the race then that's on you. Sponsors are hard to come by and if you can't produce the results needed, then it's risk you take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts