Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always impressed with the customs I see on this site. Some are more consistant than others and some are just plain amazing. Just this week several BK racing cars were done. Do you know in advance if this car won't be produced for the public? I always viewed customs as an amazing service to collectors and I try to buy some now and then. I personally am looking for cars not available. Right now so many of you can compelete a car just days after it appears. Just curious if you have knowledge this car won't be available in stores.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Some people make up decals and make the car not long after they see the car and before the car is offered for presale by Lionel (if it's even offered). Some cars are easy to predict if they're going to made by Lionel. Usually the smaller teams won't have cars made.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
I am always impressed with the customs I see on this site. Some are more consistant than others and some are just plain amazing. Just this week several BK racing cars were done. Do you know in advance if this car won't be produced for the public? I always viewed customs as an amazing service to collectors and I try to buy some now and then. I personally am looking for cars not available. Right now so many of you can compelete a car just days after it appears. Just curious if you have knowledge this car won't be available in stores.
I have to agree with Tater, some guys make them as soon as they see previews even..I'm not a big fan of this as it often creates an inaccurate representation as paint and decal placement can change before it races...that said some cars you simply know will be made due to pre-order commercial sales and also those that simply won't like Kurt Busch and Phoenix racing. Personally I think there is a chance some of the KB cars MIGHT get produced so I've held off on the sheet...to me it's a waste of time and resource if I can simply purchase the authentic piece. Kind of like you I do it simply to fill in the gaps of schemes I really like or want. One of my 'crown jewels' that fits this criteria was a Ricky Craven Batman Begins truck. Not only was it a spectacular scheme in my opinion, being my home track I really wanted the piece...in typical fashion they made the Mark Martin cup version but used the paint concept from the truck race on a fantasy piece of crap monte carlo rather than the actual truck...anyways it took me more than five years of calls, scanning the web etc to find all of the art and good photos of the truck. Eventually put the whole thing together and it came out awesome...my absolute favorite piece that I would never otherwise have...it's displayed with the Martin cup car and the martin autographed hauler from that same event...

·
Premium Member
1,873 Posts
A few are also trying to cash in quickly on cars, targeting the collectors who "have to have it right now" rather than waiting 3+ months until it's produced and available.

·
"For once, just shut up"
6,090 Posts
A few are also trying to cash in quickly on cars, targeting the collectors who "have to have it right now" rather than waiting 3+ months until it's produced and available.
you betcha...patience...patience...patience....I can think of one decal maker in particular who LIVES by this mantra...now is better than right.
I just don't agree with that mindset and above all...why waste time and resources on something already out there at some point?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts