Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legendary Member
25,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is with the sudden demand and price jump for these new diecast prototypes, especially from Jeff Gordon's and Dale Jr.'s charity sites on Ebay? The last one I bought was for around $300, (It was the Dale Jr. National Guard Pink CC Auto'd and it was prior to that car's actual release) and now it seems you can't touch one for less than $700-$800. I understand most of these are auto'd and pre-release cars, but buyers are putting out a lot more money for these cars in the last year or so. On the other side of that, older prototypes (even hard to find ones), seem to just sit there with minimal or no offers or sell for next to nothing. Is that because the production car is already released?

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
I have notice a huge run on protos and pre samples etc for about the last year.the prices have slowly been increasing.As far as Jeff there are certain collectors that will stop at nothing to have his pieces.Jeffs career is on the end run and collectors know that so the protos etc are even more desirable.

As far as Jr diecast and proto you figure why all of Jr cars have sold out at 7000 piece runs etc and subsequent pieces continuing in cup and then you will have you answer for his protos.You will see crazy dollar figure for the new Superman if and when those Protos make it out.The new Superman diecast and apparel line will sell out.

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
@kspool Over the years in the wonderful world of diecast when you see sudden jumps in diecast.People get large amounts of money and don't spend it wisely house re finance etc and the money gets spent on I wants instead of the correct items.Sadly I have seen this occur more than once.Strangely this cycle runs in waves.Not saying this is what has occurred.Just what I have seen occur before.

·
Premium Member
7,535 Posts
I know I am responsible for one of the overpriced gordon Protos, the one in my avatar. Most expensive diecast I have ever purchased. Really wanted it, and the foundation effect was a factor to spending around 150 more than I would have. Tried to get a couple of the special finishes that came later, and I was out before the bidding started. Blew away what I paid for this one culminating in the latest one, color chrome I think, that went over 1000! Out of my league even on a one time splurge!

·
HellZ YeaH
909 Posts
I will pay outrageous amounts for a car but not an average proto. Its gotta be fan freekin tastic for me to go over 200 on a car

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
I think people tend to spend more on diecast around the beginning of the Nascar season.

Lots of excitement about the new season, new paint schemes, drivers with new teams, etc.

Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts