Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
The Busch Wacker
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a Guy at work asked me what the rarest Nascar Diecast is.. I have no clue.. I told him a brad Keselowski #09 Talladega Win..which i've seen go for over 200$ on ebay.

but now i want to ask the Experts.

[MENTION=332]Billy Kingsley[/MENTION] @taterracing @racersimage

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
The rarest would be prototypes of cars that were not produced. In addition, rare does not equal most valuable. There are lots of cars that are hard to find, especially since production numbers in the last few years are way down, but there are also a lot of cars from the late 90's with high production numbers that are extremely hard to find.

In addition, there are special releases, promo's, exclusives, etc. that are extremely hard to find. Ask some of the guys trying to find a Jimmie Johnson 250th start car how rare that one is (only 100 produced I believe) or a 2006 Daytona win elite. They'll tell you those cars likely don't exist for sale any more because they NEVER come up for sale.

Try getting your hands on a Harvick Tide Gold truck. Over half of those (36 made) have found permanent homes, but they're relatively new so you might get lucky. Another car thats nearly impossible to find is the Kevin Harvick Coke Zero raced win elite (made in elite only).

Try to find a Tony Stewart Subway Talladega Raced Elite or Homestead Tribute car (also elite only). Those also never come up for sale. Travis Kvapil CHP car is another. I am sure there are many more I could list, and I am only speaking about 1/24 scale cars.

There is no way to say which car is the rarest though.

·
Prototype CraZy!
3,082 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
The rarest would be prototypes of cars that were not produced. In addition, rare does not equal most valuable. There are lots of cars that are hard to find, especially since production numbers in the last few years are way down, but there are also a lot of cars from the late 90's with high production numbers that are extremely hard to find.

In addition, there are special releases, promo's, exclusives, etc. that are extremely hard to find. Ask some of the guys trying to find a Jimmie Johnson 250th start car how rare that one is (only 100 produced I believe) or a 2006 Daytona win elite. They'll tell you those cars likely don't exist for sale any more because they NEVER come up for sale.

Try getting your hands on a Harvick Tide Gold truck. Over half of those (36 made) have found permanent homes, but they're relatively new so you might get lucky. Another car thats nearly impossible to find is the Kevin Harvick Coke Zero raced win elite (made in elite only).

Try to find a Tony Stewart Subway Talladega Raced Elite or Homestead Tribute car (also elite only). Those also never come up for sale. Travis Kvapil CHP car is another. I am sure there are many more I could list, and I am only speaking about 1/24 scale cars.

There is no way to say which car is the rarest though.
I just found those two Harvick and those two Stewarts... In my display case! :wink:

2000 RCCA Elite Dale Earnhardt Under The Lights 1:24

Beckett lists it at $600.
That is a little high for that car (like Beckett is for ALL cars), usually sells around the $450 range now

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Rare is a relative term with a lot of different meanings.
Rare as in hard to find pertains to a lot of cars. Most of the 2005 or 2006 White gold and Platinum cars are hard to find. Not many people willing to sell those so they are considered rare.
Some people concider Kevin Harvicks Elvis scheme, his flag scheme, and the Fastbreak scheme rare. As in hard to get a hold of at a decent price. You can also put Earnhardt Sr's Crash car and the Under The Lights scheme in this category. There are a lot more but I don't know all of them.
Rare to me means very few made. Prototypes (as mentioned above) samples and DNP cars are the rarest. Earnhardt Sr's Brooks and Dunn car comes to mind. Good luck ever getting to see one let alone buying one. There a lot of other that fit in this rare category as well.

Rare to me may not be rare to you if you don't want that particular diecast.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
You want rare? [MENTION=658]Bucknuts56[/MENTION] has a couple, Darrell Waltrip 400 Wins ColorChrome (never produced) and 2003? Kevin Harvick #3 Goodwrench come to mind.

·
Premium Member
10,505 Posts
WC 1/64 scale Jeff Gordon Sprint car with young picture card. Good luck finding one. Very very rare!!

·
Victory Lane is SMOKE'd
4,050 Posts
I agree. I am not a fan of beckett. I price my cars with the diecast registry. The price guide they use is based off actual online sales of the cars, whether the sales were through ebay, gomotorbids, etc. So the current market value they give is based on the market, not what beckett says.

Sometimes I think Bekett does more harm than good for this hobby. Bekett value is always way to high and a lot of people actually think they are gong to get that price for their diecast.

·
Ohio State and Nascar Nut
622 Posts
Rare and hard to find are different in my book, but both are still wanted by the collector. here is how I picture the cars in my collection .
I would put cars like Harvick's Coke Zero Elite, Okuma, Elvis, door numbers etc....in the hard to find category...

Rare cars to me are the harvick #3 goodwrench never produced, Jimmie Johnson Phoenix win cars that were not produced, waltrip color chrome tide never produced, Johnson 2002 Winston cup champ never produced, and others in my collection....

I also see other cars here that are also rare like The Sr color chrome rookie of the year [MENTION=24]kspool[/MENTION] has and I am sure he has many others...

I would also put the Harvick tide gold truck as rare. I believe after the seller sells their last one (if they have anymore) this piece will not been seen often for sale.

But that is just my opinion on my collection, and others will see their collection differently and thats what makes it fun to talk about.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Of course, according to some Ebay sellers, all cars are "Rare" and "HTF" (hard to find)!

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
To go outside of what i know (Harvick), i know a lot of people go nuts for Gordon's 2006 Sonoma win. Ive only ever seen one in person, and of course wasn't for sale. Carl edwards red sox is hard to find, but can be found. As far as low numbers, stick to prototypes like many others have stated.

·
Formerly mwr1556
11,242 Posts
There are some Jason Leffler FedEx promos from 2005 1/64th's that are really really hard to find.

·
Just CraZy
20,750 Posts
2003 Casey Atwood Mountain Dew Live Wire Proto, seen some go for 250 or more, another one is the 2003 Elliott Sadler Combos.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Not nascar, but for me i'd say the first five top fuel cars and the hauler that mac tools made in 1995, and any of the 1/16's since they were only produced a few years. i've seen some of the early ones go for 250-450. John Force's red and white tasca ford car is hard to find, and the Norwalk specials/US nationals cars too.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts