1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
It was a stab at a different way to display the Premiere Series of cars, instead of the window box. It failed, as did the Premiere Series. They tried to revive it by changing the name to ULTRA Series, but it flopped also, and then all they offered was the Collectors Series and the top o' the line for them RC Authentics, which has pretty much also disappeared, as they quit making NASCAR stuff except for promo purposes and individual orders for race teams and companies.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Not too sure if it's totally correct, but that's the way I kinda remember them being. Here's a Blaney Jasper I have in that box. They only one I have in that type o' packaging BTW.....
They went from this....

To this which is the "Wind Tunnel" packaging which you are aware of....

Then they went to this, which I really hate cause you can't get the car out w/o cutting the box....

IMO, the best low level type of packaging was the Winners Circle like the above RC box, but it had the "insert tab A in slot B deal on the bottom so you could take the clear window blister off and see the car, but it also protected the car. The newer WC boxes like the Jr, Bud/Elvis 30 boxes are nice as they are the old window box, but stiffer cardboard, and the car is inside a hard plastice case inside. I have only seen them on Jr. cars though, I believe since his cars have to be on a base due to being an adult/beer sponsored collectible.....like this.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, the pictures really help bring the point home! I just started collecting diecast cars late in 2006 and I'm finding that I'm very interested in the history of the hobby. BTW, is that a "rain delay" kind of car cover the Blaney Premier car is sitting on in the first picture you posted?

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
As far as I know, at that time, it was just a detail that was included in the Premiere Series, but a year or two later, they started the "Rain Delay" deal. If it was a "Rain Delay" it had the car cover on, like this Collectors Series car does...

I had seen the "Rain Delay" in the Preimiere Series and the Collector Series in 1/64, but only the Collectors Series in 1/24.
They may have made them in both for 1/24, but as I said, I have only seen as I described.
RC is famous for adding little trinkets to their cars. Like car covers, extra wheels and tires, body templates, jacks and other neat little stuff.
Especially on their Authentics versions. I have several w/body templates and car covers. The Mac Tools car that is up on the home page came w/a body template and a car cover.
The Blaney Busch Series Amoco car I have comes in an Elite type jewel box, and w/a car cover. That one is funny. They spent more time on the accutriments then they did on the car. It is terribly bland, but it has a car cover and the jewel box. LOL!...here's a pic of the car in the box, and the car w/the cover on....

BTW, the car cover fits better than that, I didn't slide it all the way on so that people could see that there was a car under it. If it is on all the way, you can't even see the tires, which is pretty authentic.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great stuff FFighter, thanks again for taking the time to post your thoughts and pictures from your personal collection.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
My pleasure. I like being able to let people see what I have hidden away in the closet.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Hey Ken, I think it's time you came out of the closet....

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
sssshhhhhhhhhh....I wanna surprise somebody!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.