Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing from my last post of the Racing Collectables 1963 Chevy Impalas, and the one before that of the 1963 Ford Galaxie Fastbacks, now we're onto the RCCA 1962 Pontiac Catalinas. These were released again in two different series, the Legends Series One and the Collector Series.

The Legends Series One cars were released in 1992. They're numbered 1 of 16, but they all say 1, and the 16 total encompasses both series, so while the Collector Series do comprise part of the 16, they're not numbered.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

This has one of my favorite cars, the #22 Fireball Roberts sponsored by Stephens Pontiac in Smokey Yunick colors. I've owned this car the longest out of the group, and remember taking it out of the box and playing with it quite often.
Rectangle Jersey Font Line Headgear

I also like the team cars of the #27 driven by Junior Johnson and the #46 driven by Johnny Allen. I especially like the giant chicken on the back of Allen's car sponsored by Holly Farms Poultry. According to this article, they were part of the Pontiac factory team along with David Pearson.
Rectangle Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Advertising

Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Material property Automotive exterior

The Collector Series set was then released in 1993 and contains two more of my favorites, the Joe Weatherly and Buck Baker cars. They look like complementary opposites, with one being black on red, and the other being red on black.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Jersey Rectangle Sleeve Font Sportswear

Rectangle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Gas

Motor vehicle Font Rectangle Automotive exterior Box

For some reason, the Joe Weatherly car is the hardest to find of the set, and usually fetches the most. My guess is that it's because he won back-to-back championships in this car in 1962 and 1963, so maybe the demand is higher, but I don't think it's really any rarer than the others. It's also neat for being the only car in the set with different colored wheels front to back.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive design

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Two things I forgot to add. Just like with the '63 Chevys, they once again misspelled Lee Roy Yarborough's name on the card, but correctly on the car.

And I mentioned that across both releases, there were meant to be 16 cars, but you may have noticed there are only 11 pictured here. As far as I know, the other 5 we're never made or released. I had an old price guide from around 1993 or 1994 that listed 5 more cars in the set, so these are what I guess those were supposed to be.

#12 Tiny Lund
#22 Fireball Roberts in red and white
#49 Banjo Matthews
#59 Tiger Tom Pistone
#67 Reb Wickersham

I would have really liked to see that red and white Fireball Roberts Pontiac. Maybe one day, I'll make some customs of the 5 that were meant to be but weren't.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe custom the Reb Wickersham w the "stars and bars" on the hood like he ran it!
Oops, just realized I typo'd his name. And perhaps. I like historical accuracy, but I also want to display these on my wall, and I'm not sure I'd want that one displayed. Also, I think for his #67 Pontiac, the flag was on the trunk instead of the hood, but it's hard to find any pictures of it online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts