Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing from my last posts of the 1963 Ford Galaxies, 1963 Chevy Impalas and 1962 Pontiac Catalinas, next up we have the 1965 Ford Galaxies.

This set was released in 2 releases, the Legends Series One boxes in 1992 and the Collector Series boxes in 1993. The first set claims each car is 1 if 16, but as you can see, only a total of 11 were released.

The first release had 6 cars.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Of course it wouldn't be an RCCA release without misspelling a driver's name. Here Reb's card calls him Red Wickersham. Reb was a nickname short for Rebel.
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Electric blue Auto part

I've read that there were several drivers who's licenses didn't come through, so RCCA couldn't release their cars, but who knows how much truth there is to that?
Font Rectangle Automotive exterior Electric blue Art

I have an old price guide that listed 2 cars that were never released as far as I know. The #27 car was supposedly planned to be released as driven by Cale Yarborough, which I've seen in a much later release by Action in 1/24 scale. It looks nearly the same as the A.J. Foyt car except for the name on the roof, but not made in 1/64 scale. The #28 car was also listed driven by Dick Hutcherson, but also never released.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper Font

The second release only had 5 cars.
Wheel Car Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle

I love the light blue Wendell Scott car. His backstory is pretty incredible, and it's a shame he wasn't awarded Rookie of the Year. Even more a shame that his first win in 1964, at Speedway Park, was given to Buck Baker, not officially recognized until 2 years later and not given a trophy for the win until 57 years later! It's crazy how much he was able to do with so little.
Font Rectangle Gas Electric blue Signage

Rectangle Font T-shirt Electric blue Brand

I also like Dan Gurney's #121 car owned by the Wood Brothers.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Wheel

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
I really wish that someday they gona make it in the 1/24 scale , they are amazing , it’s probably my favorite era of the stock car . This and the mid 80’s . Congrats on those sweet oldschool adds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts