Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or Oldsmobile Cutli? Anyway, they're the next up in my RCCA sets following my previous posts of the 1983-1996 Ford Thunderbirds, 1957 Chevy Bel Airs, 1965 Ford Galaxie Fastbacks, 1963 Ford Galaxies, 1963 Chevy Impalas and 1962 Pontiac Catalinas.

I know very little about these. I know they were released before 1994, but I'm not sure exactly when each one was produced.
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel

I think the 4 on the right were released first, each numbered 1-4 of 16.
Rectangle Sleeve Font Automotive exterior Symbol

I really like the Ed Barrier #22 Greased Lightning car. It looks like a throwback to Fireball Roberts's 1957 #22 Chevy Bel Air hardtop from a previous post.
Sleeve Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Jersey

I have no idea why they didn't include cards with the Rob Moroso #22 cars. That is one of my favorite things about these sets. These two cars were run in 1988 as his debut in Winston Cup where I think he ran a total of 5 or 6 races. It's hard to find info about these cars, but I saw the back of one trading card that said the red one was the first race he ran in Winston Cup, and another card that said he ran the yellow Prestone car for 5 races in his partial season Cup debut.
Mousetrap Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rectangle Font

There were so many more cool cars with this Olds body style, I wish they made more.
Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

They at least made a few more as special releases.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Tire Vehicle

The Rob Moroso #20 and #25 Swisher Sweets Cigar cars, which I used to think was candy until one day I paid closer attention to the hood, were released in promotional packaging. I believe the #20 was his 1988 Busch Grand National car where he came in 2nd in points behind Tommy Ellis, and the #25 was his 1989 car where he won the BGN championship at the age of 21, becoming the youngest to win it until 2003 when Brian Vickers would win it at the age of 20.
Product Font Automotive exterior Handwriting Sports gear

The Clifford Allison #91 Mac Tools car is a nice addition. Weirdly, I can't find any pictures of this real car anywhere online, only of the RCCA diecast. I believe he only ever ran this car once, at Daytona in the Busch series in 1992, only making it 87/120 laps and dropping out with an engine failure. It seems like an odd choice of car to release in his memory, but I'm guessing it was due to it being his only Mac Tools sponsored car, since they've done other RCCA promo cars as well.

There is a post in the 1/64 Scale NASCAR Diecast Guide where A.J Foyt's #52 Mercury Cyclone that only ran 33 laps in a single race in 1971 is described as one of the most obscure cars to be produced in 1/64 diecast. If this one really only ran 87 laps in a single race, it might be a runner up for that title.
Rectangle Font Food Packaging and labeling Box

And of course the holiday car driven by Kris Kringle. This car was actually Kringle's slowest ride behind the sleigh.
Food Product Tire Wheel Motor vehicle

I have no idea when any of these were produced relative to the first set.
Font Red Wheel Toy Rectangle

There are a few more to post coming right up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This series also included the same two Rob Moroso Swisher Sweets cars as a box set.
Font Cuisine Food Staple food Ingredient

Unlike the Mark Martin box set from the previous Thunderbirds post, these came in a wooden box.
Rectangle Font Electronic device Games Fashion accessory

The cars are identical though to the promo package versions.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Hood

There was also a Harry Gant #33 Skoal car produced in the base of a plastic mug.
Tableware Drinkware Dishware Cup Barware

I managed to find 2, so that I could cut one out and get a better look at it. There were 30,000 produced, so it shouldn't be that rare. I sometimes wonder if this isn't as many or even more than a standard, unlimited production run.
Tableware Liquid Drinkware Green Dishware

·
Registered
20 Posts
There was also a Harry Gant #33 Skoal car produced in the base of a plastic mug.
View attachment 736352
I managed to find 2, so that I could cut one out and get a better look at it. There were 30,000 produced, so it shouldn't be that rare. I sometimes wonder if this isn't as many or even more than a standard, unlimited production run.
View attachment 736350
I may have seen an image of this car in a blister pack as a promotional car. I have the mug and have also thought of getting another to cut the car out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have seen an image of this car in a blister pack as a promotional car. I have the mug and have also thought of getting another to cut the car out.
It is listed in an old price guide I have as having been released both in a mug and on a carded blister, but I've never seen the carded blister. I'd be really interested in seeing it if you or anyone else ever comes across one or even a picture of one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts