Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this auction the other day.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280175580319&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Says it's a 1992 Racing Champions Prototype.

It looks like a regular 1996 Racing Champions Preview (which I have). I asked for more pictures, but he said that's the only pic he has and probably won't get any more pics before the auction ends because he's leaving for the holidays.

Are there Racing Champions prototypes out there and does this fit the bill as one?

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
In 1992 Ward Burton was driving the #27 Gwaultney's Buick in the Busch series. That car is from 1995 at the earliest, most likely the 96 Preview or a late 1995 issue. (They didn't do Ward's car in 1/64, only Randy LaJoie) I would say be weary...

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, but i think that's what it says on the bottom of the car (body style didn't change on the pontiac until 1996) and my 1996 Preview looks the same.

The more i look at it... the more it looks like it has been dropped. Looks like the paint is chipped on the other side of the roof and quarter panel.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
For what it's worth, I don't know a lot about RC cars, as far as protos etc., especially the older ones. But I have a Dave Blaney RC Authentics Mac Tools car, and the number plate is blank. Instead of saying Racing Champions and the logo along w/the production number, it just says Racing Champions. I know it should be numbered, cause I had one that was numbered before I got this one. I don't think they called them prototypes though, I believe they called them samples, but that's just a matter of semantics. Sample, proto, whatever. Like I said, just my two cents, but as far as I know they did make em' a few years ago.
It looks like a sweet car, I can't see the chip or whatever you said was there from it possibly being dropped, but then I don't see as good as I would like.
If you bid and possibly win it, make sure to post some good pics so we can see what it really looks like.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
If he's in position enough to get a prototype/sample, I'd like to think that he'd know that the year on the chassis means nothing, and list it for what it actually is, IE, know what the heck he's talking about! That raises a red flag to me...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sterling Marlin drove the Maxwell House #22 in 91-92 and Bobby Labonte 93-94, the first 3 years being a Ford and last one a Pontiac, so as said earlier, it has to be a 95 at the earliest, and didn't Ward drive for Hardee's before that?

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, forget about the 1992 thing... that's just the model of the car. But were there prototypes of regular racing champions cars from the mid-90s? I've never seen one.

·
Blast from the past
5,166 Posts
I have a Bobby Labonte one just like this Ward Burton one...Difference in mine though is it says ERTL not Racing Champions. The year for it is the year of the pontiac also and not the year of the driver/sponsor itself. And yes before everyone tells me RC/Ertl is the same thing I know but they used to have seperate brandings and still do in a lot of cases. Minus the corporate name. I would say the car is legit (given I can see paint damaged to it also) and the owner is a class A moron. I will also add that the paint on my Labonte one isn't very good either it kinda looked like it was painted with cheap paint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts