Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Jeff Gordon Fan
25,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rough Start For Truck Rookie Young | National Speed Sport News
by Adam Fenwick

Tyler Young (02) has had nothing but bad luck so far in his first full season with the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NASCAR Photo)
CONCORD, N.C. — Tyler Young’s first full season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series hasn’t exactly gotten off to a good start.
Young, a 23-year-old Texas native, has failed to finish the first four races of the Truck Series season because of crashes and mechanical failures on his No. 02 Chevrolet. Crashes at Daytona Int’l Speedway, Martinsville (Va.) Speedway and Kansas Speedway, were followed by an engine failure at last weekend at North Carolina’s Charlotte Motor Speedway.
“It has just kind of been a rough couple weeks and it has drug out to a couple of months because we have only raced a couple times there at the beginning (of the year),” Young said.
Despite all the rough luck, Young has learned a lot during the first few races of the season that he hopes he can use to his benefit later this year.
“I learned a lot at Daytona, but that is Daytona. I learned a lot at Martinsville, but that is kind of its own deal, too,” Young said. “Kansas, that is probably kind of the most we can put in the bank and learn about the air and the aero package on these new trucks.”

Tyler Young (02) races T.J. Bell last weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway. (HHP/Rusty Jarrett Photo)
At Kansas Young was competitive, running in the top 10 for a good portion of the night before a crash not of his making derailed what could have been a promising night. The former CARS X-1R Pro Cup Series regular believes he can duplicate that run at other 1.5-mile venues.
“We learned a lot about how to pass, where to pass and what you can do to what other trucks around you and how the air effects everyone and how the truck drives so much different when you get in traffic and get in a pack,” Young explained. “We’ll just try to gain from that.”
Running the entire NASCAR Camping World Truck Series schedule is big change for Young, who in the past raced only partial schedules in NASCAR while focusing on short-track competition around the Southeast. He admitted he misses the short-track lifestyle, but is now focused on climbing the NASCAR ladder.
“This is a lot different. Obviously it is fun when these guys go to short tracks. I’m really looking forward to Dover,” Young said. “I think that’ll be a really good time. I’ve never been there. I miss the short tracks and we’ve been trying to go play as much as we can on our off weekends.
“We’ve got to get better on the 1.5 miles and stuff like that and then we’ll play with the short-track stuff when we can,” Young said.
Young said if he has time he’d like to go back to his roots and enter a few Pro Cup events later this year, but he needs to find a little luck in NASCAR first.
“If we can get a little luck going our way and be able to have time to put them together I’d like to be able to go play with them,” Young said about racing in Pro Cup. “They’ve got great competition and I think you can do, as long as you’re doing something every week, it can’t hurt.”
Young and his family owned Young’s Motorsports team returns to action May 30 at Dover (Del.) Int’l Speedway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts