Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mark Martin CraZy
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reached a bittersweet milestone this week. I grabbed the final grail from my want my list... which should make me happy. But I'm finding it hard to enjoy. I've collected Mark Martin diecast for nearly 30 years, and there's nothing left (from a retail perspective) that I'm longing for. Nothing. There's plenty that I don't have, but I'm not really in search of them, either. Granted, I still have dozens on my custom build list, but it's not the same. I've always referred to my collecting as "the thrill of the hunt." Whether it was hitting Walmart at 6am on my way to work, or driving two hours to get that one car that I just had to have but wasn't anywhere around me. Or putting a half-dozen cars in layaway because I couldn't afford to bring home everything that I'd found. I never actually saw this day coming, either... and I didn't realize it until my next to the last find. Regardless, at least my last one was a good one. Wherever it's been for the last 27 years, it's been taken care of. And these Raceway Replica cars are top-notch. Proud to add it to the collection. I've wanted one for years.

M

·
Registered
46 Posts
I understand what you are feeling. I am a Sterling Marlin/Coors Light collector while my twin brother shares your passion for Mark Martin. He too is always 'on the hunt'... to add to his collection. We are always walking the antique stores and swap meets looking for that random unappreciated Folgers or your Valvoline above. I got him an actual Folgers door panel 10 years ago which is no easy find in Seattle- not a bastion of Nascar collecting or fans.

Anyway I am fortunate to enjoy doing custom diecast work so my brother has leaned on me quite a few times to do Martin customs for him when he can't find the retail version. Anyway... I would encourage you to look into doing customs as a hobby. It is not real expensive and it really opens up the world of collecting. If you enjoy the hunt then it is up to finding the images of the cars your favorite driver has raced. I have several diecasts that I have made after hunting and searching for years looking for an image. I just recently stumbled on an image of a Marlin car I had never seen and did it as a custom and also did a Petty Halloween/Elvira car that there simply are no photos of. It is the hunt I enjoy... as you do.

Not that it is of critical import to you but my holy grail of all holy grails in my collection is Sterling's 1998 Coors Non Alcoholic. I had been collecting all his retail diecasts and stumbled on that photo. It was to me the most beautiful paint scheme I had ever seen. Not in production on the retail side I started researching the custom diecast world and figured I could hopefully/possibly do it myself. Got an airbrush and read a ton on RandyAyers diecast site and got it done. When I finished it... I remember it being almost an emotional reaction. It was perfect and not that difficult to do. I was hooked and the entire world of collecting was not open to me.

Keep your passion...
Take Care
Roger

·
Mark Martin CraZy
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I understand what you are feeling. I am a Sterling Marlin/Coors Light collector while my twin brother shares your passion for Mark Martin. He too is always 'on the hunt'... to add to his collection. We are always walking the antique stores and swap meets looking for that random unappreciated Folgers or your Valvoline above. I got him an actual Folgers door panel 10 years ago which is no easy find in Seattle- not a bastion of Nascar collecting or fans.

Anyway I am fortunate to enjoy doing custom diecast work so my brother has leaned on me quite a few times to do Martin customs for him when he can't find the retail version. Anyway... I would encourage you to look into doing customs as a hobby. It is not real expensive and it really opens up the world of collecting. If you enjoy the hunt then it is up to finding the images of the cars your favorite driver has raced. I have several diecasts that I have made after hunting and searching for years looking for an image. I just recently stumbled on an image of a Marlin car I had never seen and did it as a custom and also did a Petty Halloween/Elvira car that there simply are no photos of. It is the hunt I enjoy... as you do.

Not that it is of critical import to you but my holy grail of all holy grails in my collection is Sterling's 1998 Coors Non Alcoholic. I had been collecting all his retail diecasts and stumbled on that photo. It was to me the most beautiful paint scheme I had ever seen. Not in production on the retail side I started researching the custom diecast world and figured I could hopefully/possibly do it myself. Got an airbrush and read a ton on RandyAyers diecast site and got it done. When I finished it... I remember it being almost an emotional reaction. It was perfect and not that difficult to do. I was hooked and the entire world of collecting was not open to me.

Keep your passion...
Take Care
Roger
Sounds very familiar, Roger. I do have a good amount of customs on my bench, and that'll keep me active in "collecting." As you mentioned, the act of researching is almost as satisfying as searching for a particular diecast. I, too, frequented Randy's, but the drama and sour culture was difficult to stomach, at times. When the site's server went belly-up a few years ago, I took that opportunity to leave and not return.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts

Keep your passion...
Take Care
Roger
Very interesting read.
Can you post a picture of the Petty Halloween Elvira car you made?

I don’t want to take anything from mikes post. You can make a new post about on this site , so we can all comment. In “dying” to see it.

·
Premium Member
7,772 Posts
@rh1no

It’s hard to believe that you found it all. I know your an avid mark Martin fan, but something might pop up again in the future.

I’m sure all the customs you have in mind will keep you busy .

Once again , congrats on finding the last grail

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very interesting read.
Can you post a picture of the Petty Halloween Elvira car you made?

I don’t want to take anything from mikes post. You can make a new post about on this site , so we can all comment. In “dying” to see it.
Ok...
I put it up... tell me what you think.
Thanks
Roger

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
That's a Nice one for sure my friend , toi still can collect other driver also and start a new collection . Congrats on this last one i love it .

·
Registered
1 Posts
That is very cool on your holy grail!! I’m jaded on Holy Grails because my 2nd diecast was a Jeff Gordon 4H. Paid $40 for it off a Dupont UW auction. Had no idea what it was worth until a couple years later. I was like Holy Crap. So I have about 8 diecasts. I have another rare one, the 2007 Gordon Cromax. So collecting has little thrill and I’m happy as can be to just look at those 2 boxes that house them. Well I have 2 signed Jeff Gordon hoods off his cars and a Gordon and Sam Bass signed print of the car that had one of the hoods.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congratulations on completing your grail list! Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts and emotions as you finished. Are you going to start a new list of cars to get other than customs (a new driver perhaps)?

·
Mark Martin CraZy
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congratulations on completing your grail list! Thanks for sharing with us your thoughts and emotions as you finished. Are you going to start a new list of cars to get other than customs (a new driver perhaps)?
Honestly, I don't think I have it in me to pick a new guy or a new focus. The first one came naturally, and there's been nothing else that's come close to rivaling that authentic passion. Something might present itself, but not so far. Plus, I'm out of freakin room.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sounds very familiar, Roger. I do have a good amount of customs on my bench, and that'll keep me active in "collecting." As you mentioned, the act of researching is almost as satisfying as searching for a particular diecast. I, too, frequented Randy's, but the drama and sour culture was difficult to stomach, at times. When the site's server went belly-up a few years ago, I took that opportunity to leave and not return.
Mike
Been visiting RandyAyers off and on and reflecting on your quote it has really slowed down. No new posts, nothing for weeks at a time in the Diecast Den. I really enjoyed that site for years as I worked on my custom hobby. I took a couple years off and as I have started up again that site is really not as active as it once was. Quite a shame...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts