Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so bad for Scott Wimmer. He (IMHO) drove very well for RCR this year, and I thought he at least deserved a full-time Nationwide Series ride, but looks like he gets screwed again. He has to be feeling like a crap magnate.....

Labonte to drive No. 21 Nationwide car for RCR
SCENEDAILY - 5:05PM ET TUESDAY NOVEMBER 27, 2007 - BY SCENEDAILY STAFF REPORT
Print This Article RSS Feed

ROBERT LABERGE / GETTY IMAGESRichard Childress Racing officials announced Tuesday that Bobby Labonte would drive the team's No. 21 Nationwide Series Chevrolet in a part-time schedule in 2008.

Labonte will drive in 15 races in the car, RCR said. Childress had previously announced it was fielding full-time efforts for Clint Bowyer (the No. 2) and Jeff Burton and Scott Wimmer (who will share the No. 29).

Labonte, who competes full time in the Sprint Cup Series for Petty Enterprises, drove in 19 Busch Series races for KHI in 2007, winning at Talladega Superspeedway in April.

Labonte drove RCR's No. 29 Busch car at Texas Motor Speedway in 2004.

"I had a great time in the one race I did for them in 2004 so I'm excited about running 15 races with a team that has won a lot of races and a couple of championships," Labonte said. "RCR's Nationwide Series program has been at the top for years and I hope I can help keep it there."

RCR's No. 21 team won six races with Kevin Harvick in '07, while winning the drivers and owners championships in 2006. The team also won the owners title in 2004 with Harvick and Johnny Sauter sharing the driving duties.

"I've watched Bobby's career since he was a rookie in the Cup Series in 1991," Childress said. "He's a champion in every sense of the word and, with crew chief Shane Wilson and his championship-winning team, we know they will continue the No. 21 team's winning legacy.

"We're working on getting sponsorship all lined up but all of us at RCR are honored to have Bobby driving the No. 21 Chevrolet next season."

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL @Believe. It is not a matter of being a fan, cause I am not necessarily a "Fan" of Wimmer's. It is about opportunities and reneged on promises. RCR had supposedly promised to give him a fulltime/shared ride. Now there is LaBonte in the mix. I understand that the teams should do what is best for them and all, as it is a business. Just sucks that some guys get stuff promised/committed to them, and then it falls through. It seems to happen to him allot.

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Scott should be racing more than Burton in the 29 though. I was hoping he get a full time ride as well...but more races is a step forward somewhat.

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
the trouble is with wimmer yes hes a reliable nationwide runner but hes not a winner and i like alot of others think that childress gave him 22 races plenty of to prove that he could get the job done and quite frankly hes lucky to be still in a ride there even if just part time Bobby's a great addition to RCRS nationwide line up and should unlike scott go to victory lane anybody whats happening with harvick and the nationwide series yet ?

·
Registered
374 Posts
wimmer is a below average drive in my opinion, he has had chances with a good team to prove himself and hasnt. just like PB said he's not a winner yeah he's probably a top 15 nationwide series driver but thats not saying much

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I really would have loved to see Wimmer get a full time ride, it's a bummer he didn't. I'm a fan of Labonte also though, so at least it isn't a complete upset

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I stated earlier, I don't consider myself a Wimmer "fan", and now that I mention it, not a LaBonte "fan" either per say, just don't care for how they do things at RCR. They did the same thing to Dave when he drove there. They hired him, then when Burton was available, it's like oooppppsss, sorry about that, and hired Burton. Then to kinda fix it, they hired him to drive the JD car, he sorts it out and gets a track book together for them, and then oopppppss sorry about that, the put Bowyer in it.
Now the same w/Wimmer. He can drive when it is convenient, and he sticks around expecting a better deal this year, and is promised that better deal, and then oopppppppsss sorry about that, we hired Bobby LaBonte.
I realize it's Richard's team, and he can do whatever he wants to w/it, it's just the principal of the thing. Especially since Wimmer already is his driver, and LaBonte drives for PE. Just rubs me the wrong way.

·
5,325 Posts
I guess he didn't prove himself when he got 4 wins with the crappy and sponser less BDR Busch cars? He may not have won but you have to give him credit. I can think of at least three races Scott could have won if something had not gone wrong. That would be like me saying Jr isn't a winner since he was with a good team and he hasn't won in nearly two years, but no...you would all point out Jrs bad luck and say he would have won if something had not gone wrong. Well thats the same thing with Scott.

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
a driver has to prove himself every time he sits in a race car not live on the fact he won 4 races some 5 years back in what was a good year for Pontiac in Busch and saying he should of won if something had not gone wrong were the other RCR driver over came problems to win this season wimmer had the car to win a number of times this year he proved this year that he could not finish the job and compiring a 2 time Busch champion with 22 wins in the series is a biggar joke as saying wimmer deserves a full time ride at rcr and at least JR raced more than once in the cup this year

·
5,325 Posts
I was in no way saying that Jr is bad, I was saying that in Cup Jr would have had a few wins if not for bad luck...which Wimmer would also have a fun wins in Busch if not for bad luck. Please reread my post. Of course even when he wins you will claim he didn't deserve it and all this so I could honestly care less about your opinion. I can accept the fact you don't like Wimmer and don't think he deserves a ride and all, you can't accept the fact that he has fans and he did prove something to quite a few people.

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
1 i did read your post before i posted 2 you did indeed compire Jr with wimmer you did however not state cup or Busch the later wimmer can only dream of matching Jr's states cup jrs mind been on leaving DEI since daytona in February
quote Of course even when he wins you will claim he didn't deserve it quote
what are you taking about he did well 5 years ago whats he done since then
true he went to cup in a move that BDR would revitalize there program in fact in went down hill quick was only halted with the arrival of blaney

3 like Ive said in the past as long as hes an RCR driver and sits behind the wheel of one of there cars i will support him 4 i am not the only one who thinks wimmer in above his head even childress has not got the confidence in him or Else he would of had a full time ride next season
5 what did he prove this year how to take a winning car and finish 2nd once boy there must some real happy fans out there

but at the end of the day trevor you will like the guy if he drove a a us postail service van round the track so good luck to you

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew right after I posted this thread, I shouldn't have. I knew I should have removed it. I apologize Selby.

·
5,325 Posts
Don't worry about it. Not your fault, your just posting your opinions like me and Paul are. Also Paul I never said Wimmer was better than Jr or even compared their stats, I just compared how Jr hasn't won lately, some of it due to bad luck, and how Scott didn't win, some of it due to bad luck. Yet you still say that Jr is a winner, which is he is in my mind as well. And also in my mind Scott is a winner, and just like with Jr, some bad luck here and there have stopped them from winning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts