Diecast Crazy Forums banner

Scratch built Dirt Late Model Project

10K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  slotem88 
#1 ·
Looking at ADC Diecast one thing that keeps getting to me is how inaccurate the nose on these is modelled.
Going from there, I do not particularly like the exhaust either. In the end there are plenty of areas in the diecast that I do not like.... but I really like those Dirt Late Model race cars.

The solution of course is, if you don't like what others do, do it yourself.

I found some plans on a 2008 Rocket Chassis (68 pages) and decided to give this a try. Scratch building.

I do accept that this will be a bit more tricky then hunting down a diecast on ebay, buying it, getting it to Europe and taking it out of the box. So I do very much hope this will all be worth it and I will end up with a kickass Dirt model within now and 25 years ;)

Here are the very beginnings of the project. Plenty of thin brass tubing for the main chassis. I still need to source thinner tubes for all the tubing and supports though, but I can start cutting and bending with this.

I also bought supplies to solder all the joints. Soldering is far more valid then welding forthe one reason that a soldering iron fits on the kitchen table and a TIG welding machine including gas doesn't.

I also bought some thin sheet metal for the driver compartment and the bodywork.

See less See more
#2 ·

Got a start on the frame, most of an engine, a seat and a steering wheek. Stilll have to fab some headers that will fit in the rocket chassis

#3 ·
Even though it's been really slow going in the past few weeks, things are coming along

A few weeks ago I already took hold of the paints I will need to eventually paint the car, as well as another scale model buidling project I will outsource. Today I received a big box of laser etched parts for the late model build

This thing looks a lot better with a nose cone. And this nose looks a lot better then anything ADC ever produced. I ordered 2 ;)

Miscellanious suspension and chassis parts

Rod ends, birdcages and jacob ladder

Disc brake rotors, wheel hubs and wheel covers/beadlocks

All of this set me back quite a few bucks.

#4 ·
Even though it's been really slow going in the past few weeks, things are coming along

A few weeks ago I already took hold of the paints I will need to eventually paint the car, as well as another scale model buidling project I will outsource. Today I received a big box of laser etched parts for the late model build

This thing looks a lot better with a nose cone. And this nose looks a lot better then anything ADC ever produced. I ordered 2 ;)

Miscellanious suspension and chassis parts

Rod ends, birdcages and jacob ladder

Disc brake rotors, wheel hubs and wheel covers/beadlocks

All of this set me back quite a few bucks.

they look great do they cost a lot

#8 · (Edited)
Thank you Wayne

2 months ago my girlfriend and I were blessed with a baby girl, and I must admit that with that change my time to persue hobbies like these is somewhat limited. I am still determined to do this, and to do it right. I will try to post regular updates here, even though I expect the final result will still be months away

For now, visual eye candy. Here is a custom I did a while ago

DSC_3658 by b j, on Flickr

#9 ·
Really anticipating to see how it'll turn out.

#10 ·
From what I've seen, you have the hardest part outta the way. Now it's just hanging the other parts. You already know what you are doing. AND you have the passion, I believe you have this handled! Keep us posted and best of luck!

Reactions: the solitaire
#12 ·
So, as I mentioned in my initial post, one of the reasons I started this is the ADC nose

Here is the real deal

Now below you see, on the left, an ADC model, and on the right, the nose cone Michael Crowley at dirtmodeler.com crafted. These are available at his online store and only require careful cutting and sanding to shape. I might even still cut a small ridge off, but I think I'm pretty close

Different view

I now also have a full containment seat, drive shaft, instruments and fire extinguisher for this build, scrounged from a NASCAR diecast

#13 ·
Today the first photo etched frame parts were fitted. These are some vital reference parts. In a real car, all measurements start at the rear axle, but in this build I have to go work backwards because there are some parts with fixed sizes that will need to fit.

So I fit the front crossmember and radiator mounts in there. Next up will be the engine mounts

#14 ·
The photo etched parts and the printed plans do not align 100%. As a result I generated a bit of tension into the frame, one joint cracked and the frame warped. I now have to undo 2 further joints, move them 1/32" and solder them up again.

Just a minor setback as I was able to trace the tensioned areas back to these two joints and the one that gave in. Should be back on track soon to start work on the motor mounts.

I also found two further shops.
One sells resin wheels and tires with any thinkeable profile, size and offset, and one that sells miniaturized nuts, bolts and steel braided wire among other things.
Cost of this project will go through the roof!

#15 ·
Today the first photo etched frame parts were fitted. These are some vital reference parts. In a real car, all measurements start at the rear axle, but in this build I have to go work backwards because there are some parts with fixed sizes that will need to fit.

So I fit the front crossmember and radiator mounts in there. Next up will be the engine mounts

IF you are gonna build many of these, maybe you should build a "jig", that would save this from occurring again, AND also save time building cars again in the future.

#16 ·
Ken, if I do decide tomake more of these I most certainly will buidla whole set of jigs to helpme in the various stages of building this chassis. Doing it all "freehand" is quite a pain.

As for now, I'm trying to get hold of a naked ADC chassis to see how a sheetmetal build on one of them looks. Wouldn't solve the header issue, but I might as well pull the headers and add some detail on the ADC chassis while I'm at it. Might be a solution that is $150 cheaper then building from scratch, and it's a hell of a lot faster too!

Still, this is a challenge I want to finish now that I started it, and I want to make it as good as I possibly can, even if I end up eating dry bread and drinking tap water by the end of the month because the money wasspent on parts for this build :)

Reactions: FFighter_21
#17 ·
Ken, if I do decide tomake more of these I most certainly will buidla whole set of jigs to helpme in the various stages of building this chassis. Doing it all "freehand" is quite a pain.

As for now, I'm trying to get hold of a naked ADC chassis to see how a sheetmetal build on one of them looks. Wouldn't solve the header issue, but I might as well pull the headers and add some detail on the ADC chassis while I'm at it. Might be a solution that is $150 cheaper then building from scratch, and it's a hell of a lot faster too!

Still, this is a challenge I want to finish now that I started it, and I want to make it as good as I possibly can, even if I end up eating dry bread and drinking tap water by the end of the month because the money wasspent on parts for this build :)
I admire your dedication.......

Reactions: the solitaire
#18 ·
Not much news here. I ordered a set of decals from Pattos, but I'm also trying to contact a driver to get an approval for replicating a 2nd car. I found that with a little pushing and shoving I can actually make space for 2 late models :)

#20 ·

Not much of an update, but the chassis is straight again, and I added the motormounts, some additional support tubing and started building the driver cell reinforcements

#21 ·
Some more work on the chassis was done. I also almost have all the front suspension mounts on there, ordered 3 different diameters of brass rod for the exhausts, ordered brass profiles for the suspension mounts and body mounts and today I got mail from Australia

Yes, that's right.I loved this paintscheme the moment I saw it. I mean, the batmobile has nothing on this! So I was thrilled when I found out Pattos has the decals for this paintscheme in their portfolio

#22 · (Edited)
I saw this and IMMEDIATELY thought of you. Check this out! This guy sells his own 2D printed Accurate Dirt Late Model bodies that bolt right on an ADC Chassis......this seller also makes various parts such as suspension, and eye candy like seats etc.

ADC Dirt Late Model

#23 ·
Now that's a nice body :)

I never found this option to be honest. Might have worked as well, but now that I sunk $200 in my scratch build, I'm going to continue as planned.

Might consider this for a future conversion as I found a source for bare ADC chassis' for a really fair price