·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
kspool said:
I am always suspicious when someone has a lot of signed cars on Ebay. This seller (who had a Harvick Elvis car) has a bunch of cars, and they're ALL signed. Of course, there are no COA's. What do you guys think? Does this actually look like Dale Jr.'s autograph?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Dale-Earnh...ryZ19052QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It looks real to me, but Jr.'s would be pretty easy to fake. Ya never know, but if you want it for yourself and are not going to resell it, if you feel comfortable w/it, it would be OK. JMO.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i'm too skepitcal to buy anything signed.the only signed items i have i got them signed in person except for some harvick cars that came directly from KHI with a COA.a COA that someone printed from their comp at home doesn't mean poop to me

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
I will buy signed stuff from people whom I trust, but I'm not that big on auto'd cars. They hurt the collectibility of some cars if you get them signed. But the cars that aren't that collectible, it helps them a little.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'd go out on a limb and say the vast majority of Signed ITems on Ebay are not legit. That said I am sure there are very legit sellers out there on Ebay. ITs kind of a catch 22 deal. THe best bet on autographs is to find someone you feel comfortable dealing with and feel like you can trust. If someone is pressuring you to buy a signed piece and you feel uncomfortable with it pass on it. I know for instance the vast majority of items I have in my stores I have photos that come with the item. If i don't have a photo it was signed in the presence of myself, a family member or one of 4 guys who get autos for me at events. I Don't take in autographs in trade unless I know exactly where they came from and am 100% sure its lgit as its my reputation on the line!

Anyway i guess i digressed, Jr's autograph is very easy to fake, i have some that were signed at a sit down auto session and some that were signed in the garage and there is a huge difference. I would recomend getting some additional info from the seller as to how it was obtained, where, etc and if you feel comfortable with the story go with it.

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify, I wasn't looking to buy from this guy. He had a Harvick Elvis (for $1300-- it didn't sell) that was auto'd. When it ended, I looked at all the other items he had for sell, and it just thought it was kind of fishy that everything he had was autographed. The only autographed items I have I got either from QVC or a reputable dealer.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Even pics can be faked also. Take a car, get it signed and take pics, then fake the auto's on the several of the same car and there ya go, fake auto's. In reality, unless you get an auto from the driver himself w/a hologram over the auto, you can't be sure anymore, unless it's a reputable place as mentioned like a dealer you trust or QVC etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I read an article not too long ago (Wall Street Journal I believe) that pointed out how the sports collectible industry has really gotten out of hand with faked autographs. They didn't mention eBay or NASCAR but just how in general many people are buying items at over inflated prices because they been duped into thinking their sports heros have actually signed items they've purchased. I'll share the link to the article with you guys if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
I think its real. The one we got in Nashville looks exactly the same. With that said I agree with everyone. I would never buy autos off Ebay. Unless its from QVC or has a pic of the driver signing it I don't believe it. But even with a pic you still don't know if thats the car your getting or one just like it. About the only dealer I trust with autos is Scott. Mainly because he or someone he knows he in 90% of the lines we are lol.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
JPM42, do I know you? I bet i would recognize you but probably don't know what face to put with this name. And only 90% of the lines, man my minnions must be slacking off LOL

And yeah at last count I think i have cars signed by about 40 or so different drivers between both stores including 3 that we did signings with in the stores. Did you come to the Burton signing we did last month?

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
diecastcarsnc said:
JPM42, do I know you? I bet i would recognize you but probably don't know what face to put with this name. And only 90% of the lines, man my minnions must be slacking off LOL

And yeah at last count I think i have cars signed by about 40 or so different drivers between both stores including 3 that we did signings with in the stores. Did you come to the Burton signing we did last month?
Yeah this is Coty from Mt. Airy, me and Amanda used to come to your shop all the time but school and work have kept us from getting down there recently. We may get to come to welcome there Saturday though. We always run into your sister and that guy with the broke finger (I can't never remember his name lol) during race week.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Hey man how you guys been!?

Yeah my sister and Mike (broken finger) are always on the run for stuff for themselves and they try to get an extra piece or two signed for me.

We got another friend named MIke (way too many mikes) who we just got him hooked on Nascar autographs, he is like a kid again LOL and watching him get autos for the first time i fun for us all.

I will actually be in the Welcome store on saturday so if you guys are down this way stop by. Tell Amanda i said hey and I will see you guys later.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Id say real. This guy sells a TON of autographed stuff... a lot of the time w/ a picture. Jooooooyner usually scribbles like that when hes not sitting down and signing, so it looks crappy... sort of like this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts