Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Jayski.com this morning:

Toyota: Gibbs? Penske merge with Waltrip? Yates? Toyota, sources said, has approached the Gibbs team with a proposal to leave Chevrolet, which would give it #20-Tony Stewart, #11-Denny Hamlin and #18-J.J. Yeley. Gibbs’ management doesn’t appear to be that interested, but the offer hasn’t been rejected, according to team sources. Penske [#2, #12], who has been with just about every manufacturer in racing over the years and who is one of the world’s biggest Toyota dealers, could be making the move to Toyota for next year. According to sources close to the situation, Penske could be looking at a merger with Michael Waltrip’s struggling Toyota operation. And there is speculation that Robert and Doug Yates [#38, #88] may be willing to listen to Toyota offers, even though they have long-standing ties with Ford.(Winston Salem Journal)(5-31-2007)

IMO, I don't see Gibbs going that route but maybe Penske. He did race Toyota in the IRL before they left the series...But why would you merge with MWR?

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
When I heard Toyota was looking to get into Cup, the first major team I thought to move to them would be Penske. They're struggling. Also, look at Dodge. They didn't immediately go to Dodge, they waited a couple years and then made the switch once he saw that they were successful. Maybe by 09 he'll switch to Toyota.

Gibbs... nah. i don't see it. He's been with GM since 1992 and I doubt GM will let them get away. Too many fans involved with Stewart and Hamlin.

Yates is also possible. They've gone downhill in the past few years and they could look for a change.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
I think with Roger Penske it's more a question of When, not IF, he goes to Toyota. He is one of the world's largest Toyota dealers...I believe he will go with them in 08, merging with MWR, taking on the #00 as his third car and both Waltrip and Jarrett retiring.

I will be surprised if NAPA stays on the 55 to the end of this year, let alone next year!

·
Registered
335 Posts
this may be old news. but on speed a few days ago, it was explained.........because the toyota trucks have done so much better in the truck series, in 2008 they will be forced to start using the toyota engineered nextel cup car engines to make them more evenly balanced with other manufacturers in truck series. i don't know much about it, but it is a fact.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
No way Gibbs will go to Toyota, just don't see it. They still have a chance in the Jr. BS!!!

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Don't be so sure on Gibbs.

UPDATE: Several sources tell SI.com that Toyota is going hard after Joe Gibbs Racing and that Gibbs is very interested. Officially, the Gibbs team denies any contact with Toyota: "It's news to us," team spokesman Mike Arning said. Toyota, as a matter of policy, does not comment on contract negotiations. The potential deal is a delicate subject for Gibbs and Toyota. Gibbs' contract with Chevrolet, which runs out at the end of the year, stipulates this is a non-negotiating period with other manufacturers. Is contact to determine interest negotiating? You'd have to read the fine print and then get a clarification from an arbitrator to determine that. But sources say there definitely has been communication between Toyota and Gibbs.(Sports Illustrated)(6-2-2007)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Why would Penske take five steps backward and switch to Toyota?
He's closer to a Championship now with Newman and Busch in or near the top twelve.
Totyota may never pull their act together, for all we know.
And why is Toyota only targeting Dodge teams for takeover?
I got a feeling ASSCAR is behind this because they've always treated Dodge like such a damnn stepchild.
JAPCAR is relly gonna SUCK! :mad:

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
40intrepid said:
Why would Penske take five steps backward and switch to Toyota?
He's closer to a Championship now with Newman and Busch in or near the top twelve.
Totyota may never pull their act together, for all we know.
And why is Toyota only targeting Dodge teams for takeover?
I got a feeling ASSCAR is behind this because they've always treated Dodge like such a damnn stepchild.
JAPCAR is relly gonna SUCK! :mad:
I can't argue that!!'
But as of now Jr is supposed to be going to JGR!!!! Which is not shocking considering his alliance with Stewart!!
But then again, it is the start of the SILLY SEASON!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts