Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from my daily issue of Sports Business Daily yesterday:

Earnhardt Working On Apparel Deal With Adidas

JR Motorsports has been “working on an apparel deal with adidas” that could put Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s own line of ClimaCool wear in “major sporting goods retailers, a place where NASCAR has had no presence,” according to Michael Smith of SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL. A line of Earnhardt-branded ClimaCool goods “could include Dale Jr. jerseys, performance T-shirts or other mainstream sportswear, as well as footwear.” The deal is believed to be separate from Earnhardt’s new deal with Hendrick Motorsports, and it is “uncertain if the adidas relationship might blossom into a team sponsorship deal.” SportsScan Info Dir of Marketing Neil Schwartz said, “This is a very interesting strategy. There is a lot of NASCAR merchandise sold, but a lot of it is online, and the at-track business is monumental. What you haven’t seen is a lot of lifestyle apparel, jerseys (and) golf shirts.” NASCAR VP/Licensing & Consumer Products Mark Dyer said any development in lifestyle apparel “could pave the way for major athletic apparel companies to take a meaningful position in the sport” (SPORTSBUSINESS JOURNAL, 6/18 issue).

And I saw this on Jayski this morning:

Another Beverage Sponsor for Dale Jr.? Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain (Sundays, 9pm/et on SPEED) welcomed Darrell Waltrip on Sunday June 17 to talk about Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s move to Hendrick Motorsports. One comment was about Dale Jr.'s 2008 sponsor:
Dave Despain: (There's) a great picture on the Internet. Somebody has already designed the paint job for the car. How quickly these things happen (with) the magic of the computer. There is your #5 Dale Jr. Budweiser car, all laid out for next year. Photoshop indeed.
Darrell Waltrip: That can't be true because I don't think it's going to be Budweiser.
Dave Despain: That was one of my questions. You don't think it will be Budweiser. Do you know who it will be? We've heard a shoe deal. We've heard a credit card deal from one of your buddies. What's it going to be?
Darrell Waltrip: Yeah, wrong. It'll probably still be something you could drink. That would my guess.
Dave Despain: "Something you could drink," he said, hinting.
Darrell Waltrip: And it won't be in a red can.(FoxSports)(6-19-2007)

Makes me wonder who it will be. I'm thinking maybe another energy drink maker to fight Red Bull. Maybe Rockstar Energy. They were quick to jump on the NHRA this year when Kenny Bernstein announced that he was coming back with Monster Energy as his sponsor. These energy drink makers are some of the most aggressive sports marketers that I have seen in my 8 years doing sports marketing. We'll wait an see...

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
JR Motorsports signed Jeremy McGrath to a driver development deal, and I saw him racing a Late Model and it was sponsored by Monster Energy drink. Could very well be Jr has already had them lined up, just couldn't divilge until all the dominos fall.....
this Addidas thing is interesting, as Puma is already one of his sponsors, along w/just about half of the field these days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see where you are coming from with Monster FFighter. I forgot about them being McGrath's car sponsor. Because he is a former supercross rider, a lot of those guys have personal sponsorships as well. Ricky Carmichael is the same way. So I don't know about that one but it is a possibility as well. Pesonally, I hope it is Rockstar b/c I like it the best of the energy drinks. I wouldn't be upset if it were monster as well. I like them too. The Lo Carb Monster is the pretty good. Doesn't Puma make all of DEI's driver suits? They may be a sponsor for DEI as a team like they are for Evernham. Although I think Kasey Kahne has a deal with Puma too. The adidas sponsorship is the most interesting by far with what it entails. That could be big for NASCAR as well getting them into places like Dick's, Foot Locker and Finish Line. Places that don't normally sell racing apparel.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
A few years ago, JGR had a deal w/Nike. They did all of their crew uniforms and such, but it never really blossemed into anything. Now they have Russell Active Wear. Russell is trying to become a player again, as they are the sole uniform provider for the AFL and now as I stated they have signed up w/JGR.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Your right, it's Starter, not Russell, My bad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some more news 6/20. Jayski finally got the adidas bit that I got 2 days ago...

Monster? Pepsi? Adidas? Dale Jr's 2008 sponsor? Captain Thunder reports....am hearing that Hendrick Motorsports owner Rick Hendrick has been in talks with two beverage sponsors for Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s racecar for 2008. One is Pepsi and the other is Monster Energy. Pepsi has had a running relationship with Hendrick for many years as they have shared the sponsorship of Jeff Gordon's #24 car with the DuPont Corporation. Monster Energy has had a recent relationship with Dale Jr. and JR. Motorsports. Monster is all set to sponsor the late model car that Supercross legend Jeremy McGrath will drive for JR. Motorsports this year for a 10-race run. Look for an announcement soon as teams must have sponsorships and car numbers to the merchandise manufacturers for merchandise to be ready for February's Speed Weeks in Daytona.(Captain Thunder site)
MORE Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s marketing team at JR Motorsports has been working on an apparel deal with Adidas that could put his own line of ClimaCool wear in major sporting goods retailers, a place where NASCAR has had no presence. Earnhardt’s own endorsement muscle is again evident in the deal with Adidas, which is believed to be a separate agreement from Earnhardt’s new relationship at Hendrick. It’s uncertain if the Adidas relationship might blossom into a team sponsorship deal. Earnhardt, though, was looking to go in a different direction. Sources say he was more interested in the “lifestyle” approach that Adidas offered through its ClimaCool brand, which could include Dale Jr. jerseys, performance T-shirts or other mainstream sportswear, as well as footwear. No launch date for any lifestyle line could be determined. Meanwhile, team owner Rick Hendrick offered no sponsorship news last week on Earnhardt’s new ride. Although Budweiser has made it clear that it’s interested in continuing its relationship with Earnhardt, other sponsor conflicts must be navigated. Kellogg’s and Carquest have a contract to be co-primary sponsors on Hendrick’s #5 car — the one that will be vacated by Kyle Busch to make room for Earnhardt — through 2009.(Sports Business Journal)(6-20-2007)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts