Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sponsor problems at MWR? Elliott to MWR? Rumors are swirling about Toyota driver #55-Michael Waltrip's future and his sponsorship support [NAPA], after failing to make the last six tour races. According to one unconfirmed report, Waltrip is having to return $300,000 to his sponsors for each race he misses. There is also speculation that Bill Elliott may be under consideration for a ride with the three-team operation; Elliott, 50 and only a part-time driver these days, would have six championship provisionals, guaranteeing him a spot in at least six races. However Elliott, despite the multimillion-dollar contracts being waved at him by more than one team, has been less than enthusiastic about becoming too deeply involved in the sport again.(Winston Salem Journal)(4-16-2007)

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Hope I don't offend anyone, but Micheal messed up when he left DEI. He had the world by the cahonies and he had to go on his own. Pretty bold move for someone who has only won two races and one was rain shortened, and they were both restrictor plate races where if you survive till the end, you have as much chance as anyone else who is running to win. JMO....

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Sorry, my bad. I thought his only wins were the two 500 wins. Your also right DEI isn't exactly flourishing now, but he wouldn't have all that overhead if he was still there, and I would be willing to bet he would have made the last 6 races. Maybe things will work out for him.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Waltrip also won the 2002 Pepsi 400, and the 2003 EA Sports 500 fyi.

I hope NAPA wises up, and realizes that this team is the Titanic of NASCAR.. they need to pull out, and so does BK, and Dominoes... guess they are just realizing the mistake they made.

·
Crazy Supporter
11,651 Posts
Well I guess every new team in NASCAR is winning races and championships right out of the crate.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
geebi44 said:
Well I guess every new team in NASCAR is winning races and championships right out of the crate.
No, but they arent bringing up the rear every weekend. Brian Vickers is showing off what Toyota can motor...

Lets face it.. Michael Waltrip doesnt have the golden touch.. I really wouldnt want him to be my owner. :splat:

·
Crazy Supporter
11,651 Posts
I don't like and have never liked Mikey, I can't believe that Toyota wanted his team to be their bread and butter. They made a huge mistake and
I really hated to see DJ go drive for him. I wish DJ would have retired or went to any Chevy team. MWR won't last long if things don't change. I can't
believe that NAPA has stuck around this long. Mikey needs to let someone else take over driving the 55 car and the 00.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
I completely agree. I think DJ deserves better.. (they begged him like crazy because he was bringing the provisionals), David Reutimann could do a lot better in a different ride as well. Its pretty sad that now they are putting the dollars in front of Bill Elliotts face so he can bring some provisionals. This team will probably be gone by mid next year... you KNOW its bad when NAPA is getting fed up.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also surprised that UPS has stuck around. Maybe it's because DJ has the provisionals to fall back on but he's almost out and he's not in the top 35 in owner pts (I don't think anyway). If he to, begins misses racing I wouldn't be surprised to see UPS pull the plug as well.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Even though he has made the races, he hasen't gotten any coverage on the tube. He has resorted to being in the booth on Busch telecasts in play of Rusty when Rusty is at Indy car races....

·
Don't thank me, thank Justice Fruit Pies!
5,325 Posts
Waltrip has always sucked, it wasn't him leaving DEI, cause with them he didn't do crap either. I just can't wait for this guy to retire.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't see how Waltrip is such a "Legend". He finally wins a race after what, 20 some odd years? I still don't see what made him so great. He never really had anything going on at DEI, just the restrictor plate tracks here and there.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
D. Waltrip is a ledgend driver, but he wears on me as an announcer. He wants to be the star of the show all the time. I watch to see the race, not listen to all of his banter, but he sure could wheel a race car!
I watch the race, and listen to MRN or MSN on Sirius Satilite Radio. They only have time to give the play by play, no BS.

·
Premium Member
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
UPDATE: For anyone wondering if Michael Waltrip's crashing a Toyota SUV could end his relationship with Toyota, they should think again, Toyota Racing Development Senior Vice President Lee White said Sunday before the Samsung 500 at Texas Motor Speedway. Waltrip owns three teams and has been the face of Toyota this year in its first year of Nextel Cup racing. "Our position is still that we have agreements with our teams," White said. "We live up to our agreements. Everybody is working hard. Michael is working hard. His organization is working hard, as is all the others." Waltrip said he fell asleep while driving home early in the morning April 7. He suffered cuts to his hands and face in the accident and walked home. The North Carolina Highway Patrol charged him with reckless driving and failing to report an accident.(SceneDaily.com)(4-16-2007)
UPDATE 2: David Newton reports on ESPN2's NASCAR Now that he talked to Elliott's wife who said there was no truth to the rumor that Elliott would drive for Waltrip.(4-18-2007)

·
Banned
4,757 Posts
true mikeys (whos got a lot of fans maybe not here ) had the worse time since leaving DEI but when toyota waves big money in front of you what can you say but thanks very much just like dale jarrett
but unlike some drivers (who really suck at cup level ) at least mikey has won at the top level true it took some time and like ken schrader (another driver that would be missed by many ) who not won for quite sometime but still keeps on going with no one saying its about time he packed up but at the end of the day if mikey can not turn around the #55 performances as a businessman he will step aside for another driver

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
A friend told me that Mikey has to pay back money to some of his sponsors cause of missing 6 races. I think it was like the sum of $300,000 each.
If thats true thats going to hurt him in the pockets!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts