Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've just about run out of room in my den for diecast cars and other memorabilia... the rest of the house is off limits per my wife (for now anyway ::)). So what do I do? I buy a few retail boxes of Press Pass NASCAR cards and get myself addicted to this collecting craze too. I keep getting this urge to go to the nearest Wal-Mart or Target to get my $20 fix...

Oh well, here's a couple of pulls from my first boxes:

Scott Wimmer 2003 Autograph card
Joe Nemechek "Cool threads" Race-Used Shirt

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
Nice cards, you can get lucky in the retail packs but I do suggest you hit some Hobby packs as they usually have a lot better hits.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the difference between the Retail and Hobby boxes? Where do you find these hobby boxes, eBay...Dealers? I checked the store locator on the Press Pass web site and the nearest dealer to me is thirty miles away.

Thanks for the advice...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
hobby boxes are found at the dealers and on ebay. hobby packs i think are more expensive but you are more likely to get better cards than what is sent out to walmarts and targets.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
First of all, welcome to the hobby! Retail blaster boxes aren't bad. Hobby packs usually have more cards per pack and the odds of pulling autographs and memorabilia cards are better than retail packs. Try www.cardshopfinder.com to look for a sports card shop in your area. Virginia is a hobby hotbed with many great shops. One piece of advice, if you are going to buy retail packs, only buy sealed blaster boxes like the ones you already purchased. There is a dishonest practice known as pack searching that takes place with the loose retail packs. Guys travel hundreds of miles and hit all the Wal-Marts, Targets, and any stores that sell cards and "feel" the packs to try to find the memorabilia cards. Needless to say this robs honest collectors, especially younger ones, of having the opportunity to pull any good cards. Well, I don't want to get off on a rant here just some advice. Anyway, good luck with your collection. I own a shop myself so if you are looking for anything in particular let me know.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info DodgerBlue. Do you have an online store I could place orders on? I would prefer to give my business to a fellow TCL board member if possible. Are the hobby boxes you mentioned above marked as such? If I place an order for a hobby box how do I know that's what I'm getting for sure, other than the price being higher than the retail versions?

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
There are stated odds in Hobby boxes and almost 100% guarantee that the stated odds are in there. Once in a million boxes you may not get the stated odds but in NASCAR cards this year there have seemed to be more hits that stated in the boxes dodger has gotten in this year.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
RaceFan1962 said:
Thanks for the info DodgerBlue. Do you have an online store I could place orders on? I would prefer to give my business to a fellow TCL board member if possible. Are the hobby boxes you mentioned above marked as such? If I place an order for a hobby box how do I know that's what I'm getting for sure, other than the price being higher than the retail versions?
A "Hobby" box will usually be labeled as such and will always guarantee "X" number of race-used cards or autographs per box. If you are interested in any NASCAR Hobby boxes, let me know. I can order any product that is on the market. The 2007 Legends just came out. They are the highest end racing cards made and provide a nice bang for your buck. This year's series features Davey Allison race-used firesuit cards, Dale Sr. firesuit cards, Kulwicki firesuit cards, Tim Richmond firesuit cards, as well as triple firesuit cards of "The Alabama Gang" along with autographs of current rookies, stars, and living legends. They even have some cut autographs of deceased legends. A Dale Earnhardt cut autograph # 2/2 recently sold for around $1,800 !!!

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Hey Dodger, if ya come across a Tim Richmond Firesuit card, LMK, I would be interested in it. THNX!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts