1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Crazy Supporter
11,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
per yahoo sports

Stewart fined, placed on probation by NASCAR
April 27, 2007

DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- NASCAR delivered the boom on Tony Stewart, but it wasn't for the former champion's scathing remarks.

Stewart on Friday was fined $10,000 and placed on probation until December 31 for failing to fulfill his post-race media obligation following Saturday's Nextel Cup race at Phoenix International Raceway.

A two-time series champion, Stewart finished second in Saturday's Subway Fresh Fit 500 but skipped a mandatory post-race news conference at the media center to draw the penalties.

However, Stewart stirred up controversy three days later on his satellite radio show when he accused NASCAR of orchestrating races through manipulative use of caution flags.

Stewart met with NASCAR officials Friday morning at Talladega Superspeedway and later apologized for the comments.

In spite of his complaints, Stewart has gotten off to a decent start this season, registering two top-five finishes and five top-10s through the first eight races. He enters Sunday's Aaron's 499 seventh in the Nextel Cup standings, 332 points behind leader Jeff Gordon.

Updated on Friday, Apr 27, 2007 5:35 pm EDT

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
just a question, if he is getting fined for not being at the mandatory post race news conference, why havent we heard about this before with other drivers leaving before the race is even over. if thats the rule then thats the rule, but i have never heard this before. but i guess that goes back to the "Nascar Rule Book". i figured there was going to be some kind of backlash after his comments.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
joker, the top 5 finishers are required to do a press conference. tony finished 2nd in the last race hence the fine.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Ron3fan said:
joker, the top 5 finishers are required to do a press conference. tony finished 2nd in the last race hence the fine.
o ok then that explains it. i know i had heard that they are supposed to but not that it was mandatory. thanx for the info

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
thunder_alley1984 said:
Why should the top have HAVE to talk to the media??? I mean jeez most of the time all they say is the car was good, we missed the wrecks blah blah blah.....honestly i rarely watch the top 5 crap after the race on tv....jmo though
does not matter why, he signed the blank on the entry form that says he will, so he should, but once again everything did not go lil Tonys way and he stomped off to go cry and pout about how unfair life, NASCAR, and weight gain is! definition? crybaby.

it is called fulfilling your obligations to your sponsors, the fans, and everyone other than yourself.... unless of course you are a spoiled little crybaby that only cares about yourself, then you do what you want when you want no matter how it affects anyone else, as a man you do what you say you are going to do... oh wait, we are talking about Tony ... :rofl:

:Cry: :Cry:

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
Quote of the day....
"He's like the Rosie O'Donnell right now of NASCAR," Gordon said, comparing Stewart to the politically incorrect comedienne. "Controversy is something that he's been used to, and to me it brings a lot of flair to the sport."

·
Vengence is Mine
1,046 Posts
Hey Joker,
I was making fun of it to my Stewart fan friend at work today. NASCAR said noone has ever been fined for this before, cuz they have NEVER had someone finish in the top 5 who did NOT want to attend the press conference.
Stewart would have to be the first!

I also was trying to figure out how many times he has been on probation. He gave me such hell last year when Gordon shoved Kennseth I swore it would be payback time! :D

·
Legendary Member
25,339 Posts
martinfan6&9 said:
i'm surprised he didn't say NASCAR hated him and didn't go into another fit about possible retirement.(one could only dream)
Yeah, imagine a driver talking about retirement and not following through.

·
Registered
7 Posts
kspool said:
martinfan6&9 said:
i'm surprised he didn't say NASCAR hated him and didn't go into another fit about possible retirement.(one could only dream)
toooooooooooshaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy puuuuuussssyyyyyyyycaaaaatttt

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
kspool said:
martinfan6&9 said:
i was thinking the same thing spool. you beat me to it, lol. i mean at least Stewart said it out of frustration and not announce it and accept all of his going away gifts, just to race for another 2 years or so

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
JoKeR_20 said:
kspool said:
martinfan6&9 said:
i was thinking the same thing spool. you beat me to it, lol. i mean at least Stewart said it out of frustration and not announce it and accept all of his going away gifts, just to race for another 2 years or so
:rofl: How true how true!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts