Diecast Crazy Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, he bet on his own team. he bet on everything i imagine. but, the guy could play baseball. and i don't believe he was all juiced up on roids or hormones. i'd still grab his rookie card if i found one at a decent price and condition. look at all the other guys in hall of fames that were involved in crimes or drugs, or whatever.....i.e. o.j. simpson? lawrence taylor, ..........how long is the list? maybe the voting should be changed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
everybody should quit watching pro baseball, it sucks , i used to be a fan , but it has went down hill since the 70's. i think pete got the shaft, just think if he would have done drugs like m irvin he would have been in the hall.just about everybody has bet at one time or another, look at jordan he bet on golf alot ,whos to say he didnt bet on basketball. i drather watch little league world series each year

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I said it before & I'll say it again if Rose is not in the Hall then Bonds & Mcgwire shouldn't ever be allowed in the Hall!
Rose was not even a player when he was betting on the Reds. :dingy:

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
The '63 Topps Rose RC is also still on my All-Time Want List. There are some counterfeits of that card around these days. I haven't even seen one, except for eBay, in years. They don't even seem to pop up at shows very often. Pete's RC was one of the infamous "floating head" cards that featured pictures of 4 players heads on a colored background. Willie Stargell's RC is also that same design in the '63 set. The League Leader cards are also like that in '63. I bet it scared a lot of kids back in '63 when they saw those cards and thought someone had cut off Mickey Mantle's head!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dodger i can see the card in my head. had one in my hand numerous times in the 80's, but didn't have 600 dollars to buy one. i thought the heads design were unique. but, as you say, they are no where to be found now. it's like someone hoarded them all or they were destroyed. we don't have any card shops near here. but, when we did, the rose card dissappeared around 1990 in the shops, and i never saw another. i wonder what it would even be worth now with his situation. i think alot of people would like that card and it is in high demand. but, i haven't seen a card or price in years.

·
GO GATORS !!!
1,492 Posts
I have one customer that collects Pete Rose exclusively. He has a '66, '68, and I helped him get all the Rose cards from the 1970s. He also has over 100 odball Rose cards that I have found for him. He even bought an autographed Rose baseball from me last week. Pete's stuff has held a very strong market because I believe that the majority of the public believe that he should be in the Hall of Fame for his on-field accomplishments. The last time I looked at a Beckett for his RC it listed at $1000 high book in NM condition. I bet if you had a high-grade example of this card it would bring every bit of that and maybe more!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good info dodger. thanks. i got a few rose cards. a 66, 68, 70, 71, 72. and some more from the 70's. also several of the insert game cards put out where each player had "single" or "ground out", or "home run" on it. i really like that insert set. i remember playing that game on our porch in late summer. don't remember the year, but wonder what good cards we ruined on that cement porch flipping those cards over. i don't have them all. but have rose's, aarons, mantles, mays, the good ones, and several of each. can't remember if i have the newsprint picture insert but i think i have that also of rose. numerous mantles in that.

auotgrapghed ball. sounds like a real rose fan. i am. think he belongs in the hall. but, i'd rather come across a rookie card, than an auto grapgh. i got a couple autos, brooks, ripken, jr., a few others. but not really into autos.

you must have a nice shop as it sounds. i'd love to have a shop. but, everyone who's opened around here has failed. but it sure would be fun. especially the old items. if i could retire and have health insurance, i'd have a card/ hobby shop to keep my mind going. i've always thought that. sports only i think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts