Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did Jeff ever race a #67 Outback Steakhouse car?
Never seen it pictured on any cards or the like.

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
It was his first Busch ride. It was actually a car at Buck Baker's Driving school. He saw Jeff and was impressed w/him, and spoke to Outback about a deal for one race I believe. They took the car from his driving school, freshened it up and Jeff raced it.

·
Premium Member
24,080 Posts
Didn't he attempt three races with it and only made one? He qualified on the outside pole at Rockingham, but wrecked out early. I think he attempted a couple more races, but didn't make them (back when you had to race your way into races).

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FFighter_21 said:
It was his first Busch ride. It was actually a car at Buck Baker's Driving school. He saw Jeff and was impressed w/him, and spoke to Outback about a deal for one race I believe. They took the car from his driving school, freshened it up and Jeff raced it.
Gotchya.....I'm a Gordon fan and didn't know that!
Pathetic eh? ;D

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
That could very well be. I am certain about the Buck Baker connection, but the number of races I don't know.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
It was actually a former Petty car...had a blue interior even. If you go to the link below the picture, and keep clicking next, you will see an article about the restoration of the car.

Note that it has a small #20, in tribute to the late Rob Moroso. None of the 3 versions of this have ever had that.

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/nascar/1990/1990202067outbackst.html

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Thanks Billy. Ya taught me something. I had heard the Buck Baker Driving school reference, from several people, who are usually very accurate. But I was wrong. Glad ya posted that tid bit. It's cool to know stuff like this.

·
The Mad Documenter!
3,299 Posts
Ken, It MAY have been a Baker car before it was Jeff's...I havn't read the article for a few years, but Petty stopped using the blue interior in 88, 2 years before this one ran, so where it was in that time, well, it may have been a Baker car!!

I find it interesting that they ran a former Cup car in Busch...Busch had 5 inches less wheelbase mandated then Cup, and they usually didn't allow them to cross over...

I think there is more to this story then any of us really know, or anybody remembers...

·
#1 "BLANIAC"
20,242 Posts
Yeah, if we'd a known Jeff was gonna turn out to be the talent he did, we woulda kept closer tabs on his early career. I know I woulda. If he woulda went to NASCAR from dirt, I'da paid alot more attention. Since he was from USAC and raced alot on pavement, I didn't notice him as much. ;D

·
NASCAR The Steel Tornado
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He caught my attention in 1993 and have followed Him ever since!
Was real impressed with His background at the time and have been learning more and more ever since.
PPL might not like Him but.....His BG is quite impressive seeing how He didn't come from a already established racing family.
Talent is talent.....what can ya say?
I was real disappointed with Kyle Petty....not even close to what His Dad was.
Sorry to say (Flame suit on) Dale Jr the same.....Hasn't come close to the ole man's rep.

Now Jimmie Johnson is looking pretty impressive seeing He has 2 Championships since His start in 2002.
Watching Him pretty closely these days as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts