Diecast Crazy Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was a freshman at Texas A&M when it opened.

Got a side gig with Union 76 to pump gas and dispense oil and lubricants to the race teams.

This is a picture of me, in all white, back to the camera, fueling Buddy Baker's Dodge Daytona on the Thursday prior to the very first Nascar Cup race held at the track.

6DodgeChargerTWS_zpsa25632f3 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

Got to where I was spending more time out there than in class, and had to sit out a year between the two semesters of my junior year to think about my priorities.

After I got my graduate degree and a real job, raced three different cars on the road course over the period between the mid 70’s to the mid 90’s. Probably somewhere between a half dozen to ten races.

Pains me that it is being destroyed.

If you are on Peacock, it is featured in the second season of Dale Jr.’s Lost Speedways.

·
Premium Member
10,766 Posts
Looks like it is almost gone. Thank you for posting. I never had the chance to go there. Been living in Texas for 6 years now. GOD Bless Texas 🙏
Flag Sky Wind Event Electric blue

·
just old school
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Got a side gig with Union 76 to pump gas and dispense oil and lubricants to the race teams.

This is a picture of me, in all white, back to the camera, fueling Buddy Baker's Dodge Daytona on the Thursday prior to the very first Nascar Cup race held at the track.

Got to where I was spending more time out there than in class, and had to sit out a year between the two semesters of my junior year to think about my priorities.

After I got my graduate degree and a real job, raced three different cars on the road course over the period between the mid 70’s to the mid 90’s. Probably somewhere between a half dozen to ten races.

If you are on Peacock, it is featured in the second season of Dale Jr.’s Lost Speedways.
I have passed the track many times during work,
Junior's show about the track, inspired me to go and see it, take a few pix.
I remember seeing a race in black and white Wide World of Sports, I think it was a Dec race, Bobby Isaac was the winner.

·
just old school
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for posting a great picture.

·
just old school
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just read today, another track here near Houston, will be lost.
The drag strip in Baytown, property has been sold for an industrial complex.
The Spring Nationals in 2022, will be the last running for NHRA. See ya there Team Force..........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts